Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251624
View in linear mode

Subject: "D80 CHA/CHR error - photos lost?" Previous topic | Next topic
sic Registered since 24th Jul 2012Tue 24-Jul-12 06:50 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D80 CHA/CHR error - photos lost?"

DK

Hi all,

New member in need of help. I have had my D80 for several years and had no problems. However the last day of vacation a few days back all of a sudden CHR/CHA is shown in the display after having shot a full day with no problems. It will not display any photos - says "Folder contains no images" - I try to take a new picture, and it displays in normally. When I turn off the camera and on again, again it displays "Folder contains no images". I tried to move the SD card to my other camera, and there it also says no images. I thought maybe when i got home and connected to my pc i could see the pics, but there seems to be nothing there

Are all my photos lost? Luckily I had just changed card, so it's "just" this one day, but still, there were some great shots, so if someone knows if it is possible to retrieve them, I would be greatful!

I have tried flipping the locked/unlock slider on the card, with no result..

Br, Sofie

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Tue 24-Jul-12 01:19 PM
524 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D80 CHA/CHR error - photos lost?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 24-Jul-12 01:20 PM by OnTERRYo

Hamilton, CA

Hi Sofie,

I Googled it and got: (hope it helps)

Blinking “CHA/CHR” Message

"This error indicates that there is a problem with your memory card. 90% of the time, this error shows up when people copy images from their memory cards and then delete images, instead of formatting the card. Deleting images without formatting the memory card is a bad idea and many DSLR cameras will eventually have problems writing to those cards. The best thing to do is to format the memory card inside the camera instead of formatting it on a PC or Mac. If you do not know how to format a memory card inside your camera, see your camera manual for instructions. On many of the current DSLRs like D90, you can accomplish this by depressing two buttons simultaneously for several seconds: the trashcan (on the back) and the meter button (on the top). Once the word “FOR” shows up on the top LCD and starts blinking, you need to press both buttons again to format the card. You can also format the memory card through camera menu.

If you have formatted your memory card and the camera is still showing this message, then your memory card is probably not properly seated (in which case try taking it out and putting it back in) or the contacts are dirty. Also, try not to use non-approved cards on your DSLR – it could be that the memory card is not supported by your DSLR. If you have tried everything and you are still getting the same error, then there is either a contact problem inside the camera, or your memory card is damaged."

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

sic Registered since 24th Jul 2012Wed 25-Jul-12 06:43 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D80 CHA/CHR error - photos lost?"
In response to Reply # 1

DK

Hi OnTERRYo,
Thanks alot for your reply.
I always format through the camera, so that cant be the problem.
I am also sure the card is seated correctly, so left from the description is that there may be a contact problem or that my card is damaged. The card works fine now, and I can take pics and view them again - also after having turned the camera on/off.
What worries me is that now I will be all paranoid, and always change card at least daily not to loose to much if this should ever happen again..
I dont really know what it means that the contacts are dirty - do you? Thats the only thing left in the description that I dont know yet if it could explain the problem.
Thanks again, Sofie

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 24-Jul-12 02:00 PM
3032 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D80 CHA/CHR error - photos lost?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

You might be able to retrieve your photos using SanDisk Rescue Pro utility. You can download it here:

http://www.cardrecoverypro.com/?gclid=CIOY_Ji8srECFYfe4AodswoAyA

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

sic Registered since 24th Jul 2012Wed 25-Jul-12 06:45 AM
#4. "RE: D80 CHA/CHR error - photos lost?"
In response to Reply # 2

DK

Hi Leonardo62,

Thanks a lot! I got my hopes all up, and was amazed at what it could recover. Sadly it was only pics from before my last formatting of the card, so non of the lost pics where there. But thanks a lot, this is great to know that something like this exists for another time.

Br, Sofie

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251624 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.