nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251570
View in linear mode

Subject: "pb2 bellows and d80 camera" Previous topic | Next topic
cinderdick Registered since 08th Jul 2012Tue 10-Jul-12 04:25 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"pb2 bellows and d80 camera"

Corbin, US

What do I need to make this system work.? Extensions or adapter?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 11-Jul-12 05:23 PM
3420 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: pb2 bellows and d80 camera"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 11-Jul-12 05:42 PM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

You probably mean the Model II bellows made for the Nikon F in 1959. The problem with mounting a digital body on these old bellows is the camera grip extends out from the body and hits the bellows rails. The older F and F2 bodies had no grips so there was no interference.

What you need is to get an extension tube between the body and the bellows mount to allow clearance to the rails. I'm sure a Nikon PK-13 would fit but you might want less extension. Any generic ring that gives you clearance would work. The D80 doesn't need an AI model.

After you get the clearance problem solved you need to put the camera in M mode. Also be aware you will not have any metering from the D80 so you will have to guess at the exposure and experiment. The lens you choose will need to be used in stop down mode since the bellows offers no way to automatically stop down the lens.

That's all you need to do. Do a lot of experimenting with lenses, bellows extension and exposure to get the macro photo you want.

Len

edit: Also what lens are you planning to use? An AFS lens won't work because without an aperture ring the lens will stay fully stopped down. A manual focus lens or an AF D lens with aperture ring will work. I would recommend a manual focus 50mm lens to start. The Nikon 50mm f2.0 lens has a nice flat field and is quite sharp. They are very reasonable to buy used from a source like KEH. The model II bellows has calibration marks on the rails for this lens however with added extension I'm sure it is no longer accurate. AI or non-AI doesn't matter. KEH would also be a good place to look for extension tubes.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 11-Jul-12 07:53 PM
26995 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: pb2 bellows and d80 cameras"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hi Michael,

Welcome to Nikonians!

>....................................................................An AFS lens
>won't work because without an aperture ring the lens will stay
>fully stopped down. A manual focus lens or an AF D lens with
>aperture ring will work.

Len ment to say: A "G" type lens (AF or AF-S) won't work because without an aperture ring the lens will stay fully stopped down.
(There are AF-S lenses that are also "D" types and have aperture rings.)
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

cinderdick Registered since 08th Jul 2012Thu 12-Jul-12 12:13 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: pb2 bellows and d80 cameras"
In response to Reply # 2

Corbin, US

Thanks I have a PK 13 and a PK 11a. I was Thinking of using a 55 micro manual. Also have a BR2 Macro Adapter.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Thu 12-Jul-12 12:30 AM
3420 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: pb2 bellows and d80 cameras"
In response to Reply # 3

Hatboro, Pa, US

Then you're in good shape. The 55mm micro will work quite well. I've had the BR2A for over 10 years and probably only tried it twice. I just haven't seen much benefit in reversing the lens.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251570 Previous topic | Next topic