Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251568
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 vs Newest Android Phone" Previous topic | Next topic
quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Tue 10-Jul-12 01:04 PM
1228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 vs Newest Android Phone"
Tue 10-Jul-12 01:05 PM by quenton8

Toronto, CA

Well, the other day I had my camera on my desk at work (so as not to leave it in the car to die at 95degF). My boss came by and wondered why I had such a bulky camera when the cameras on phones were now so great. I gave him my stock answers about capabilities but he just looked at me and left.

So I bought the newest (just out) samsung galaxy III (for the phone, not the camera), but decided last night to try out the camera.

Now I know why I carry around a D90

• most of the outside photos suffered from so much flare as to be useless
  • inside, not enough flash power for anything much
  • even the half decent ones would not blow up to 5x7 well unless no cropping was done
  • I found framing and "pressing" the button to be difficult and caused camera movement

No keepers from the whole evening (about 20 shots).

I figure it has its uses, but taking real photographs is not one of them (for me anyway).

----
Dennis Smith.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D90 vs Newest Android Phone
Covey22 Moderator
10th Jul 2012
quenton8 Silver Member
12th Jul 2012
Scotty Silver Member
12th Jul 2012
buckreynolds
13th Jul 2012
rodloos Silver Member
17th Jul 2012
Covey22 Moderator
17th Jul 2012
buckreynolds
17th Jul 2012
shmulb Silver Member
24th Jul 2012
buckreynolds
24th Jul 2012
Covey22 Moderator
24th Jul 2012

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 10-Jul-12 01:47 PM
10623 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 vs Newest Android Phone"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Phones are getting closer. Look up the results from a Nokia 808 Pureview with a 41MP sensor and Carl Zeiss folded optics. Crappy phone operating system, but I understand Nokia is bringing the camera technology to their more popular Lumia Windows Phone family. One of the phone's primary appeals is it's portability and ubiquity. The barkeep doesn't care when I whip out my Android, but if I start clicking away with an SLR, you can bet your bippy I'll have him, the floor manager and potentially the bouncer in my face faster than a 1/16000 shutter speed.

This is why I invested in a side system with mirrorless. The Nikon 1 and Micro-4/3rds aren't pocketable, but they're convenient to carry and much less conspicuous than even my smallest-of-the bunch D3100 and 35mm f1.8. People think it's a crappy compact and shrug. I know better.

You also have to look at trends in what is considered acceptable photo quality these days. IQ becomes less relevant because of the predominance of web publication use. Photos don't need to be that large and quite frankly, the way people "Instagram" every photo they take, who can say afterwards what quality aspects were because of a small sensor versus deliberate over-processing by the application?

As for the rest of it, most camera makers still don't get it. The next generation of consumer-photographers - the ones who will have the future earning potential to be their customer base (they're in their teens and 20s now) want to share *immediately.* The smartphone, for all it's disparity of image quality with dedicated cameras, has one thing that others don't - the ability to instantly put that photo out on as many channels as possible - web, social media, e-mail, heck even sharing with other devices through BlueTooth and other ad-hoc network connectivity. I, being an older generation, don't have such a compelling desire to immediately share, but the manufacturers had better start smartening up because that's what their future customers want.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Thu 12-Jul-12 03:22 AM
1228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 vs Newest Android Phone"
In response to Reply # 1

Toronto, CA

So I ran this by my daughter (who is a heavy facebook user) and my wife. My daughter wants the quick sending of photos to facebook, BUT she won't use her iphone because of the quality and gets her photos from me 90% of the time. My wife wants prints she can sit and look at and show people when we entertain.

I can see the desire for the quick "from in my pocket" photos and the ability to get them to some web location quickly, but I think the demand for top quality will continue to exist at least for some time, years or even decades -- my kids agree (but then my kids are in their late 20's)

----
Dennis Smith.

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Thu 12-Jul-12 03:34 AM
4821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 vs Newest Android Phone"
In response to Reply # 2

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

A friend of mine just shelled out on a D5000 plus lenses as she was looking to move on from a phone + camera. For the first 2 weeks or so her facebook page was full of shots taken with her new camera. Now it is full of "instagramed" shots taken with her iPhone. No new shots from her D5000 at all. Not even sure if she still uses her Nikon... She is 40...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

buckreynolds Registered since 11th Jan 2009Fri 13-Jul-12 11:50 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D90 vs Newest Android Phone"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Camera-Phones are the new Instamatics. Whether the image is better or worse, most people just want to be able to grab a photo. The easier the process, the better. IQ means intelligence to them.

I don't pretend to be anything special with my Nikon, but I sync all of my keepers to my iPhone via Aperture. When someone wants to (can't run away fast enough to avoid being forced to) see some of my photos, they often say "you took that with this phone?"

They can't imagine someone shooting with a DSLR, downloading the files to a computer, doing post-processing, and then uploading the images to a phone. Who would ever do that when you can just take the picture with the phone to begin with? Its like paying to be able to post on a bulletin board site. Crazy.

Best wishes to all Nikonians

rodloos Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2006Tue 17-Jul-12 04:31 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D90 vs Newest Android Phone"
In response to Reply # 4

Garland, US

I think phone-cameras have improved a LOT since they were first integrated. My current phone (HTC EVO) has an 8MP sensor, much-improved lag, and much better optics than my earlier phones which were barely usable to make a photo for caller-id pics. And I have heard people raving about the improvement in the latest iPhone camera.

Never-the-less, to me there is just no comparison between phone-cameras and even most p&s cameras. But most people don't go anywhere without their phone, (and thus its camera) and get used to using it.

What amazed me this past weekend when I visited the Dallas World Aquarium with my daughter, was how many people were carrying their *tablets* and using the cameras on those! That may have been their only camera or something, but I saw a *number* of people using tablet-cameras. I own a couple of tablets, but they seem to be more awkward to carry around to an outing like that than my D90 and a backpack of lenses and flash!

Rodney Loos - D90 & D70, 18-70mm, 18-105mm, 90mm macro, 150mm macro, Tokina 12-24mm, 50mm f1.8, 10.5mm fisheye, 70-300 f4-5.6 VR, SB900, SB800's & SB600's

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 17-Jul-12 02:33 PM
10623 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D90 vs Newest Android Phone"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Tablets and Phablets (Phone-Tablets with 5-7" screens) are all the rage now with casual clickers. It's funny, and I'm hoping to catch a few people actually taking photos with them using my real camera. I suspect a few hundred years of this, and humans will have devolved in vision acuity to the point where the smallest screen we can use will be a 10" display otherwise it's biologically impossible for us to read what's on it.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

buckreynolds Registered since 11th Jan 2009Tue 17-Jul-12 10:10 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D90 vs Newest Android Phone"
In response to Reply # 6

US

There is nothing odder than a parent using an iPad to video their kid in a sporting activity. We do a lot of gymnastics, and when a girl gets up on the beam, and their proud dad aims a gigantic tablet at them, you end up having to watch the routine through the tablet because it blocks the view.

Nevertheless, they manage to capture the moment, which is what photography is all about.

shmulb Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2007Tue 24-Jul-12 05:34 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D90 vs Newest Android Phone"
In response to Reply # 0

US

How about these? I saw this on a beach in Costa Rica a few months ago
(my shots are with a D90)

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

buckreynolds Registered since 11th Jan 2009Tue 24-Jul-12 06:19 PM
#9. "RE: D90 vs Newest Android Phone"
In response to Reply # 8

US

A perfect example, I think. Snap the shot, admire the shot.

Thank you for sharing.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 24-Jul-12 08:52 PM
#10. "RE: D90 vs Newest Android Phone"
In response to Reply # 8

US

That tablet is soon to be replaced by a follow-on generation of Google Glass...they'll be able to share the photo immediately with each other because they'll be wearing a matching pair talking by BlueTooth or low-power intranet links. Another nod and they'll have shared it on all the social media channels and e-mail. Said with a tongue-in-cheek, but after seeing the stunt Google pulled being able to transmit personal video from a parachute jumper over the convention at San Francisco, it's only a matter of a few years at the most before it's as ubiquitous as cell phones are now. Then we have privacy invasion issues gone amok to deal with all over the place...

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251568 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.