Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251541
View in linear mode

Subject: "Active D- Lighting" Previous topic | Next topic
drmanubmengi Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2012Fri 06-Jul-12 10:46 AM
277 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Active D- Lighting"

IN

Hi all,

Moderators are free to move if i'm not posting at the right place.

What exactly is Active D-Lighting? What is its use & what happens if i turn it off?

I'm sorry if this seems to be a stupid question.
Thank you all in advance.

Dr. Manu Mengi
Loves Photography & Nikon

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Active D- Lighting
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing.
06th Jul 2012
SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life.
06th Jul 2012
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing.
06th Jul 2012
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills
06th Jul 2012
SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life.
06th Jul 2012
KazeyBunch
07th Jul 2012
quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional.
07th Jul 2012
07th Jul 2012
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills
07th Jul 2012
07th Jul 2012

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 06-Jul-12 12:07 PM
6181 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Active D- Lighting"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 06-Jul-12 03:33 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

Active D-Lighting makes adjustments to the exposure in order to reduce blown highlights and eliminate blocked-up shadows. In a scene with very bright areas, very dark areas or both, it will help balance out the scene to be closer to what your eye perceives. The various levels apply it to a greater degree for more contrasty scenes.

If you shoot JPGs, the the results are "baked" into the image. Reversing it requires manual adjustments in post processing that may not be 100% effective.

If you shoot RAW (NEF) images, the effects are applied if you use Capture NX2 as your RAW processing software. You can adjust or remove ADL in CNX. If ADL is off in your camera, then you cannot manipulate it in CNX., the option won't even appear.

If you use other software to process your RAW files, ADL is ignored. So you can turn it off.

Some like ADL, others do not. It is a personal preference.

I generally leave it on Low as a default setting. This maintains the ability to adjust it further in CNX and for most of my images I like the look. This also seems to be the one setting that allows complete reversing of the effect when you turn ADL off in CNX. (Other setting seem to have a subtle impact on the "base" image.)

I generally turn it off when shooting flash, especially portraits or studio set-ups.

My suggestion:

• If you shoot JPGs, do some experimenting to see if you like your results better with or without it. There is no way to just turn it on or off after you've taken the shot.

• If you shoot RAW and use Capture NX2 to process those images, leave it on Low for maximum flexibility, except in specific circumstances.

• If you shoot RAW and process you images with something other than CNX, turn it off.

One last note, ADL only works in Matrix metering mode. It does not do anything if you are shooting with Center-weighted or Spot metering mode.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Fri 06-Jul-12 12:23 PM
1814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Active D- Lighting"
In response to Reply # 1

US

in View NX even if it is 'off' you can apply it. I find it surprising you can't in CaptureNX.

Sheri Becker

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 06-Jul-12 12:35 PM
6181 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Active D- Lighting"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 06-Jul-12 03:32 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

Sheri,

In View NX and Capture NX, you can apply D-Lighting, which is a bit different than ADL. This can be applied to both JPG's or NEFs (or ever TIFs in CNX). It also can be applied selectively, as well as globally. However, the effect is not the same as ADL applied in-camera.

Mick
or

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 06-Jul-12 12:39 PM
29255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Active D- Lighting"
In response to Reply # 3

Paignton, UK

That's right - and as you said, if ADL is not turned on in-camera, you can't add it afterwards.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Fri 06-Jul-12 10:26 PM
1814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Active D- Lighting"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I stand ..educated.

Sheri Becker

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

KazeyBunch Registered since 03rd Jan 2012Sat 07-Jul-12 07:12 AM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Active D- Lighting"
In response to Reply # 1

Fort Worth, US

>One last note, ADL only works in Matrix metering mode. It does
>not do anything if you are shooting with Center-weighted or
>Spot metering mode.

Really? I pretty much leave my D700 in Center Weighted and could swear ADL on high was applied.

www.kazeybunch.com

“You can miss a lot of moments with your head stuck in your LCD.” - Joe McNally

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sat 07-Jul-12 02:54 PM
1318 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Active D- Lighting"
In response to Reply # 6

Toronto, CA

If ADL (enabled in-camera) cannot be duplicated in post-processing of RAW without ADL enabled, then ADL must affect the content of the NEF's.

Anyone know the details?

----
Dennis Smith.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 07-Jul-12 03:16 PM
#9. "RE: Active D- Lighting"
In response to Reply # 7

Tacoma, US

ADL is an instruction in the NEF, like most other camera settings. Only NIkon software reads it.

There is some evidence that using ADL does have an effect on the exposure itself. Eric Bowles did some testing and determined that with ADL set to low, the effect on the exposure is virtually undetectable and therefore reversible in Capture NX. My experience is the same, so that's generally where I leave it by default.

Again, if you aren't using CNX to process your RAW files, you might as well turn ADL off.

Mick
or

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 07-Jul-12 06:28 PM
29255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Active D- Lighting"
In response to Reply # 7

Paignton, UK

Active D-Lighting can and does (in some circumstances) alter the metered exposure in an attempt to avoid blown highlights. Changes in exposure cannot be completely reproduced by post-processing.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 07-Jul-12 03:10 PM
#8. "RE: Active D- Lighting"
In response to Reply # 6

Tacoma, US

You are correct. Looking at my manuals, Nikon says when using ADL, Matrix metering is recommended.

Mick
or

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251541 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.