Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251538
View in linear mode

Subject: "D70s: CF card or camera issue???" Previous topic | Next topic
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberFri 06-Jul-12 06:01 PM
18527 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D70s: CF card or camera issue???"

Rancho Cordova, US

Must have been back in 2005 or 2006, my office purchased a D70s, 18-70 Nikkor and a Tokina 12-24.

Very few people check it out besides me so for the most part, its been well taken cared for. Currently it has just over 5100 shutter releases.

CF Cards were also purchased at the same time and I rotate through two Sandisk Ultra II 2.0 GB cards (use one, reformat, swap cards, repeat).

The other day, I noticed while shooting that the top LCD image space display read <-E-> when the shutter failed to fire. The card was fully seated in the camera. Pressing the card into the body - not ejecting then reseating the card - corrected the problem. It happened again, failure of the shutter to release so this time, I turned it off, ejected the CF card then reseated it and turned it on; right as rain.

(Doh!) I did not bring in my card reader today so I had to download the images through the USB cable...two images were corrupted (probably the two that had to be reseated????). The camera can preview the image but they won't download onto the computer.

So do you think this could be a CF card issue or a camera issue?

I'm probably keeping the camera over the weekend and run some tests: I shot about 70 images over my trip and will try and shoot 100 over the weekend and see what happens with the 2nd card. I will try and download the images from the 1st card (that has the corrupted files), reformat and repeat the test.

I know this is an older camera, but still, for my work, it works great, at least until now. Not sure if we have a budget to send it in for repair (California Precision Service, Nikon authorized repair facility) to have it looked at.

Your thoughts welcome.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D70s: CF card or camera issue???
avm247 Moderator
06th Jul 2012
mfphoto1
11th Jul 2012
benveniste Moderator
06th Jul 2012
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
11th Jul 2012
Covey22 Moderator
11th Jul 2012
MEMcD Moderator
11th Jul 2012
Giantink1
13th Aug 2012
fdunn1ca
14th Aug 2012
Nola Nikon Team Member
15th Aug 2012
OnTERRYo Silver Member
15th Aug 2012
rbaskin Silver Member
18th Aug 2012
HenkB Silver Member
18th Aug 2012
avm247 Moderator
18th Aug 2012

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberFri 06-Jul-12 06:17 PM
18527 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D70s: CF card or camera issue???"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

In reviewing the images on my desktop, I have this strange image (attached below) where there is a horizontal band (of a landscape shot out the window) appears in the middle of a storage/locker room. PS CS (original version) recoginized the image as corrupted but I told it to open anyways.

Pictures before and after this image were taken at the facility so buffer some how added the the landscape to this image.

Straight out the camera, resized to post here.

I performed a two-button reset, not the more invasive reset to factory defaults (button on the bottom of the camera by the USB port connection).

Anthony

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Wed 11-Jul-12 04:06 PM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: D70s: CF card or camera issue???"
In response to Reply # 1

Cincinnati, US

My D70 was giving me the error message and corrupted files many years ago. I found the DIY fix online and disconnected and reconnected the cable to the board and have not had the problem again. I have had the camera converted to Infrared and I am still using the same CF cards for it.

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Fri 06-Jul-12 08:45 PM
9534 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: D70s: CF card or camera issue???"
In response to Reply # 0

Boston Area, US

I've had similar issues with my (IR converted) D70 with several CF cards. I even sent the camera in to Lezot Camera Repair, which has a fixed price service for such a repair. Alas, the problem came back after about 6 months.

My current plan is to give the camera a once over, make sure it isn't battery related, and if I can't get it to work consistently I'll convert my D200 and sell the D70 for parts.

One of the biggest mistakes a photographer can make is to look at the real world and cling to the vain hope that next time his film will somehow bear a closer resemblance to it. - Galen Rowell

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Wed 11-Jul-12 04:13 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D70s: CF card or camera issue???"
In response to Reply # 0

Brighton and Hove, GB

I seem to remember that one of the ageing problems with the D70 was a tendency for a connection between the card slot and the main board to go bad. There are a few sites out there with advice on how to dismantle the camera and reseat a connector which sometimes fixes the problem. I remember posting a link on this site a few years ago. I had a period of time when my D70 would occasionally corrupt an image for no apparent reason and I thought I'd have to try a DIY repair. But then it stopped happening so I never did.

I'm not sure if a bad connection would explain the overlaid image. Maybe it does, if the main board doesn't manage to send a full image to the card writer's buffer and therefore doesn't completely overwrite the previous image? Was the landscape shot immediately before the locker room? Was the camera powered off in between?

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 11-Jul-12 02:37 PM
10705 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D70s: CF card or camera issue???"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Take the CF cards that are regularly used with the camera out of rotation. Put in some cards that you know are good (tested with another camera). If the situation persists, you'll have identified the D70. If it does not happen, then it could still be the cards that are normally used with the D70.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 11-Jul-12 07:01 PM
26186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D70s: CF card or camera issue???"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Anthony,

My D70s does the same thing on occasion.
So far pressing the CF card into the slot has corrected the problem.
I have been thinking about getting a CF card contact cleaner and giving it a try but since the camera doesn't see very much use, I usually forget about it until the problem happens again.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Giantink1 Registered since 11th Jun 2012Mon 13-Aug-12 09:21 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D70s: CF card or camera issue???"
In response to Reply # 6

West Springfield, US

Sorry I'm so late in replying, & I offer only my small, ( small ) bit of experience. I too am a convert, & a stubborn man by nature. So after equipping my son, I grabbed a D70, w/ this issu Actually 4). Theorizing, Nikon's quality, & other similar solutions, I felt I could beat the odds, & ended up going 4/4. Senior experts are going to cringe, but out of 13 cameras I have yet to 'really' have an issue. A. Clean-Gently, throughly & "light pressure" canned air, Fresh New CF card & Firmware updated*(as a newcomer I'm surprised at the # of users unaware). Fresh- as a fanatic I warn, CF cards cost $2-300 a few yrs ago for 2-4G, now $20!! A D70 is an awesome device; even now in an incredible industry. They were built to last, but old Tech updated, doesn't always mesh...(old cf card). I own others, yet I grab my D70s/ when I hear chirping... ($45 broken cf card, aperture, and Mirror locked up. Other than manually fixing the tab for Ap ring, I did nothing but clean reset & update, Hold it, Use it, use, re-use never getting mad, a new Nikon battery..solved it all,( & it HAD gone to Nikon:$-'buy new camera')). Use Nikon recommended cards, 4G max(for testing* as suggested). Most of all I found the card/ connection in slot/ Battery, were culprit. Ribbon cable connection,(once) and keeping the battery cycled!!. ERR msg problems, I will stake my life on this, (outside of usual defective cam's) are from Lack of use, or VisaVersa. A Nikon Service works wonders, BUT I can't afford that, so I learned how, & found many handy people, after education re the systems, can bring a Nikon back to life. *IR'd D70's r the best! 3/4 of this will be deleted, sorry I ramble, but a DieHard NikonMAN once said, 'Nikon's & Marine's never DIE, We just go to hell and Regroup!!"(Reset, Re-Update, Re-Clean, Replace, {Batt/CF card). My D80: bought as/is 'Battery New, No turn On' . New Batt/new firmware!, D80 perfect, & **Battery perfect in a D70, ?? IDK Nikon's R human...

fdunn1ca Registered since 13th Jun 2012Tue 14-Aug-12 12:32 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D70s: CF card or camera issue???"
In response to Reply # 7

Waterloo, CA

After trying various CF cards, reseating them etc. I fixed this by re-installing the firmware. So far, so good.

Nola Nikon Team Member Nikonian since 13th Nov 2008Wed 15-Aug-12 01:12 AM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D70s: CF card or camera issue???"
In response to Reply # 8

GNO, US

Where do you find the firmware for the D70s?

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Wed 15-Aug-12 04:17 AM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D70s: CF card or camera issue???"
In response to Reply # 9

Hamilton, CA

Yes, Amy asks a good question - where do you get the update?
I'll be watching with interest.
Terry.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Sat 18-Aug-12 01:18 PM
344 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D70s: CF card or camera issue???"
In response to Reply # 9

Ridgefield, US

As far as I know, there is no firmware update for the D70s, only the D70 (firmware 2.0). Check Nikon USA here: Firmware and scroll down about 2/3 to the DSLRs.

I own both a D70s (bought new) and an IR converted D70 (bought used). The D70 was a bit flaky until I updated to 2.0 and has been fine ever since.

I've not had the ERR message on either camera. The D70s get very little use since I got my D300, but the IR D70 sees regular use.

I'm using the same 2gb and 4gb CF cards that I acquired in 2006 and 2007 for the D70s in both these cameras.

Ralph in CT

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Sat 18-Aug-12 01:45 PM
540 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D70s: CF card or camera issue???"
In response to Reply # 0

Wayland, US

I can only speak from the perspective of the D70. The CF card issue is a recurring but petty annoyance, easily dealt with. On my camera it typically manifests itself as the CH error which I discover immediately on power up. One or two re-seatings usually take care of it. I use approved cards and the frequency of the error doesn't seem to have increased over the years. Since it appears despite changing cards, I expect it is the camera since this is a known deficiency. I suspect this is a disease the camera will die with, rather than die from.

Best,

Hendrik

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberSat 18-Aug-12 08:04 PM
#13. "RE: D70s: CF card or camera issue???"
In response to Reply # 12

Rancho Cordova, US

Thanks for the post, Hendrik. I might get some new CF cards for the camera.

Anthony

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251538 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.