Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251524
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 Dark Viewfinder " Previous topic | Next topic
Green4life Registered since 04th Jul 2012Wed 04-Jul-12 07:41 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 Dark Viewfinder "

US

My D90 about 2 years old has taken about 10,000 photos and done very well. recently i was shooting and the viewfinder went dark (not black) but dark as if it had been stopped down. i have removed the battery and recharged and reinstalled (more than once), looked through all the A,b,c,d settings and they are all nominal.

ALso seems to not be taking photos as per normal.

Am looking for suggestions on fixes i can perform prior to just sending it back to Nikon for repair.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks Much.

-Russ

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D90 Dark Viewfinder
aolander Silver Member
04th Jul 2012
Green4life
04th Jul 2012
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
04th Jul 2012
CharlieS
05th Jul 2012
lemartin Silver Member
13th Jul 2012
Green4life
16th Jul 2012
17th Jul 2012
Green4life
21st Aug 2012
suzyk Silver Member
22nd Aug 2012
03rd Sep 2012

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 04-Jul-12 08:55 PM
3334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 Dark Viewfinder "
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 04-Jul-12 11:54 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

What lens do you have on it?

Edit:

What I suggested earlier was not correct. It sounds like the aperture is not opening up, and you are viewing with the lens stopped down. Are your images underexposed?

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Green4life Registered since 04th Jul 2012Wed 04-Jul-12 09:05 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 Dark Viewfinder "
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 04-Jul-12 09:06 PM by Green4life

US

I have 2 lenses. AF-S NIKKOR 18-55 DX G is on presently.

Same thing happens with the AF-S 70-300 ED

both are VR.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 04-Jul-12 10:11 PM
26820 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 Dark Viewfinder "
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Russ,

First make sure that you are not inadvertently pressing the lens release button on the front of the camera and that the lens is locked in the mount.
Then clean the electrical contacts on the battery and the body as well as the electrical contacts on the lens and body.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

CharlieS Registered since 29th Aug 2007Thu 05-Jul-12 01:19 PM
1729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D90 Dark Viewfinder "
In response to Reply # 0

US

Since you indicate (per posting #2) the problem occurs with more than one lens, it sounds like an issue with the stop down lever in the camera body. Perhaps the actuator button is stuck or possibly a broken spring on the lever itself.
Sounds like a trip to a repair shop is in order.

lemartin Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2009Fri 13-Jul-12 02:47 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D90 Dark Viewfinder "
In response to Reply # 4

Louisville, US

I had the same problem to develop suddenly, and the bottom line was the aperture control lever needed repair. I sent the D90 to Nikon and it was back in about 10 days at a cost of about $200

Green4life Registered since 04th Jul 2012Mon 16-Jul-12 04:13 AM
#6. "RE: D90 Dark Viewfinder "
In response to Reply # 5

US

D90 has been sent to and arrived at Nikon and i will post results here.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 17-Jul-12 07:27 PM
26820 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D90 Dark Viewfinder "
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Russ,

Thanks for keeping us posted.
Hopefully the repair will be cheap and easy.

Best Regards,
Marty

Green4life Registered since 04th Jul 2012Tue 21-Aug-12 03:27 AM
#8. "RE: D90 Dark Viewfinder "
In response to Reply # 7

US

UPDATE: Sent the D90 to NIKON in Melville, NY. It was ~$220 to repair the camera. they also included a firmware upgrade and a very good cleaning. Seems to work fine and time will tell as i have a few shooting assignments hopefully in the offing. it took about 2-3 weeks once we paid them...and prior to that it took them a couple of weeks to get to it. not too bad. they have a faster service for professional photographers.

suzyk Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Dec 2011Wed 22-Aug-12 06:14 AM
1563 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D90 Dark Viewfinder "
In response to Reply # 8

near Hobart, AU

Hey Russ,

Glad to hear you got the D90 back, hopefully like new.

Cheers,
Suzy

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 03-Sep-12 01:32 AM
#10. "RE: D90 Dark Viewfinder "
In response to Reply # 8

US

Hi Russ,

Thanks for the follow up.
Glad to hear your D90 is back up and running.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251524 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.