Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251511
View in linear mode

Subject: "KatzEye" Previous topic | Next topic
msullivan09 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2009Mon 02-Jul-12 05:45 AM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"KatzEye"

US

Anybody with practical experience with this focusing screen?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sully2012/

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: KatzEye
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
02nd Jul 2012
AllanDK Silver Member
02nd Jul 2012
gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014
02nd Jul 2012
msullivan09 Silver Member
03rd Jul 2012
msullivan09 Silver Member
04th Jul 2012

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 02-Jul-12 08:09 AM
35059 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: KatzEye"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

The Katz-Eye focusing screen helps you make manual focusing easier.
They do that by having a microprism collar and a split-image rangefinder.
We found it to be a great screen not just for macro but also for portraits with a medium fast telephoto lens, where the depth of field is minimal and the focus critical.
The ones with an OptiBrite treatment, will give you the brightest viewfinder you ever had and it certainly gives the impression to make AF focusing a bit faster.
I have one on each of my working cameras.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

AllanDK Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2010Mon 02-Jul-12 12:18 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: KatzEye"
In response to Reply # 0

Solbjerg, DK

I have the KatzEye split-screen in my D90, and can give it my full recommendation. Focusing is like the old manuel SLR's and I use it a lot in situation with low light or poor contrast etc.

And if you dont have 10 thumbs - it's rather straight forward to follow the instruction for installing.

Best regards
Allan

If you always do, what you always have done
you always get, what you always have got.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Mon 02-Jul-12 02:05 PM
3729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: KatzEye"
In response to Reply # 0

Farmington Hills, US

I have one on my D300. It helps me a lot with my several MF lenses. I also use it for macro when AF is not practical. I strongly recommend one for these uses. Note I have not added one to my D90 because it is may backup and I don't use it with MF lenses.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

msullivan09 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2009Tue 03-Jul-12 01:01 AM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: KatzEye"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks for all your responses, very helpful. Any merit to any of the knock offs on ebay?

msullivan09 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2009Wed 04-Jul-12 06:55 PM
#5. "RE: KatzEye"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I'll take that as a NO. Thanks all. I like what I see and hear about KatzEye and that's what I'll be installing in my D90.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251511 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.