Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251475
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 - ISO/Aperture/Shutter Speed question" Previous topic | Next topic
sxmwb Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2011Wed 27-Jun-12 10:08 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 - ISO/Aperture/Shutter Speed question"

Windsor, US

Lately, I have been doing very low light condition photography. In some cases, trying to get shots at night of cloud to cloud lightning and the like. When I get the pictures to Lightroom or photoshop, I have to push up the exposure in order for the shot to come out which makes the shot grainy which is noise. I am using 200 ISO, f3.4 and 4 second shots, some times longer.

I understand with the D90 that higher ISOs increase noise, but I am wondering if I can balance things by increasing the ISO to a reasonable level so I don't have to push the exposure so much after the fact?

Do this make sense?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D90 - ISO/Aperture/Shutter Speed question
MEMcD Moderator
28th Jun 2012
JosephK Silver Member
28th Jun 2012
dclarhorn Moderator
01st Jul 2012
sxmwb Silver Member
01st Jul 2012
quenton8 Silver Member
01st Jul 2012
sxmwb Silver Member
01st Jul 2012
blw Moderator
03rd Jul 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 28-Jun-12 04:42 AM
25017 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 - ISO/Aperture/Shutter Speed question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Mike,

The closer you get to nailing the exposure, the cleaner the image will be.
The more the image is under exposed, the noisier it will be.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 28-Jun-12 11:32 PM
3733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 - ISO/Aperture/Shutter Speed question"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Sounds like you are trying to do more than just catch the lightening, like also get the scene properly exposed.

The usual way to do lightening without special devices is using long exposures with small apertures. For example, f/16 for 30 seconds. This long exposure is used to get the scene close to right while giving the camera the long opportunity to catch the flash of lightening. The brief flash of lightening is bright enough to be recorded correctly at f/16 if you are lucky enough to get a flash during that 30 seconds. Or the next 30 seconds. Or the next 30 seconds....

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Sun 01-Jul-12 01:10 PM
14001 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 - ISO/Aperture/Shutter Speed question"
In response to Reply # 0

Berwyn Heights, US

Mike, as with any camera to varying degrees, the noise increases when you set it to higher ISOs. However, each new era of DSLRs brings improvement in high ISO performance. While not the newest at this point, you can get very clean and acceptable images at higher ISOs with the D90, which will make your low light shooting easier with more options in terms of shutter speed. I've seen quite good images from the D90 shot at ISO 1600. The caveat, as already mentioned, is to get a good exposure. I find this is preferable to pushing the exposure in pp.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

sxmwb Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2011Sun 01-Jul-12 01:28 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D90 - ISO/Aperture/Shutter Speed question"
In response to Reply # 3

Windsor, US

Thanks for all the responses.

Looks like I still have a lot to learn. One thing I get from this is to start focusing fully on my camera settings better and consider changing my ISO as conditions warrant along with other settings.

Everyday I learn something new.

Thanks
Mike

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sun 01-Jul-12 02:21 PM
1157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D90 - ISO/Aperture/Shutter Speed question"
In response to Reply # 4

Toronto, CA

You can certainly do ISO1600 on the D90 -- I do that for photos taken at our Church during services.

However, play a bit -- I find that ISO 800 gives much cleaner results and 1250 is better than 1600. So it really depends on what you NEED.

I would try going with 800 to start, and a longer exposure. The length of the exposure you can use will depend on other things in the scene -- are clouds moving? are you shooting with trees as part of the foreground and are they moving? -- and of course on the end result you want, maybe you have trees and you want them to look like they are moving.

----
Dennis Smith.

sxmwb Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2011Sun 01-Jul-12 03:59 PM
#6. "RE: D90 - ISO/Aperture/Shutter Speed question"
In response to Reply # 5

Windsor, US

Thanks, I am going to give it a try. I don't see 1250 ISO on the menu.

I will be working on correct exposure.

Thanks
Mike

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 03-Jul-12 01:24 AM
26301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: D90 - ISO/Aperture/Shutter Speed question"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

ISO 1600 is two stops more sensitivity than ISO 400. You will find that shooting at ISO 400 and underexposing by two stops will produce an end result that is quite a bit noisier than shooting at ISO and getting the exposure correct. In other words, it's better to turn up the ISO and get noise than to underexpose and get MORE noise. And you can also use various post processing tools and techniques to minimize noise. Finally, do some printing before you freak out about noise. For moderate sized prints - say, 16x24" or smaller - noise isn't as visible in the print as it is on the screen, especially zoomed to 100%. Viewing at 100% on a typical 75 dpi screen is like making a print about the size of a door!

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251475 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.