Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251447
View in linear mode

Subject: "Hi friends" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Mon 25-Jun-12 01:38 AM
1415 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Hi friends"

US

Hey, simple question,,,I just came back from a mini vacation and shot a bunch of my images in raw,,why,,,because I feel I am getting the hang of editing and from what I read here, I will have totally more control..See, I talk like you all do now....(smile). Anyways, of course, I can open up my jpegs right on the computer screen easily, but when I want to open a nef file, it goes directly into pse10. Is there an easier way to open my photos without doing that?

Darlene

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Hi friends
Lolrogge Silver Member
25th Jun 2012
JosephK Silver Member
25th Jun 2012
pasknucklehead Silver Member
25th Jun 2012
JosephK Silver Member
25th Jun 2012
TheGreatMike Silver Member
25th Jun 2012
25th Jun 2012
JerryLoSardo Gold Member
25th Jun 2012
SheriB Silver Member
25th Jun 2012
Lolrogge Silver Member
25th Jun 2012
26th Jun 2012
Lolrogge Silver Member
26th Jun 2012
AClogston
27th Jun 2012
Lolrogge Silver Member
27th Jun 2012
JosephK Silver Member
27th Jun 2012
Lolrogge Silver Member
27th Jun 2012
Lolrogge Silver Member
27th Jun 2012
greenwing Gold Member
27th Jun 2012

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Mon 25-Jun-12 01:53 AM
300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Hi friends"
In response to Reply # 0

Ayden, US

When I double click on a NEF file it goes to ACR. If it doesn't, in PSE10, you can go to FILE > OPEN AS and choose Camera Raw. That should work for you.

Laverne

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 25-Jun-12 01:59 AM
4619 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Hi friends"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

>... when I want to open a
>nef file, it goes directly into pse10. Is there an easier way
>to open my photos without doing that?

The obvious question here is, what do you want the default program to be for NEF files?

For example, on my computer the default program for NEF files is Capture NX2. Any other program can be selected via /right-click/open-with.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Mon 25-Jun-12 02:05 AM
1415 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Hi friends"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Yeah, I understand all that, but my question is this. When I upload to my computer (Jpegs)I can usually view them all at one time as large thumbnails and sort of get rid of all the garbage and keep what I want to look at closer in pse10. With the nef files, it doesn't give me that options and even though I do have pse10 set as my default and it comes up in acr, I just was wondering if there was a way to view them all at once, and weed out the bad instead of opening every single one of them ONE AT A TIME,,which will take me til doomsday!

Darlene

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 25-Jun-12 02:14 AM
4619 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Hi friends"
In response to Reply # 3

Seattle, WA, US

Sounds like you need to install the Nikon codec so that Windows can handle the NEF files like it does JPG files.
http://nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

TheGreatMike Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2007Mon 25-Jun-12 02:16 AM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Hi friends"
In response to Reply # 3

beverly hills, US

get Lightroom 4

MikeF

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Mon 25-Jun-12 03:02 AM
#6. "RE: Hi friends"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hey GreatMike, let me be the first to say you look really scary in your photo,,,,,but I am thinking about taking your advice, and biting the bullet about lightroom 4. I tried to download the trial version of it a while back but something wouldn't let me install it even though I keep getting emails saying they are glad I am trying the trial version,,go figure. We'll see.........
And Joseph, I'm going to go ahead and check out that code thing you referred me too. That is one of the reasons I have hesitated about using raw because of the hassle of not being able to view my pics all at once, it just takes too darn long loading each and every one into pse and then deleting half of them. We'll see how it goes...thanks guys...

Darlene

JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter MemberMon 25-Jun-12 09:40 AM
921 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Hi friends"
In response to Reply # 0

Frederick, US

Download Nikon View NX2. It's free.

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Mon 25-Jun-12 09:54 AM
1754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Hi friends"
In response to Reply # 0

US

You know, you should probably be asking this in the postprocessing forums.You might get a lot more answers than in your 'camera specific' forum. But I second the View NX suggestion. Its an easy way to go through your images , delete the ones you do not want and make some basic adjustments. It also uses the presets you set on your camera when you shoot so they will show up looking more like your jpeg.It also helps you see what how the Nikon Picture Control affects the image..which can be enlightening..and fun..

Sheri Becker

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Mon 25-Jun-12 06:39 PM
300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Hi friends"
In response to Reply # 0

Ayden, US

Are you saying, Organizer in PSE10 will not open NEF?

Laverne

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Tue 26-Jun-12 12:06 AM
#10. "RE: Hi friends"
In response to Reply # 9
Tue 26-Jun-12 12:09 AM by pasknucklehead

US

Hey Laverne, no, I'm not saying that the organizer won't open the files, I'm saying that when I simply upload my card to my desktop, and then I click on that folder, I can see all my jpegs as thumbnails, but the nef files are marked with the same symbol as the program pse10 is. It doesn't show me the picture, so I was wondering if there was a way to do that simply.
I also did install the codec but that didn't work either. So I will go ahead and download view nx so I can at least look at them altogether. I just tried something else, I right clicked on the nef file that wasn't open and hit preview and it is letting me look at them in windows photo viewer. But of course, I probably can't edit anything, so I'm heading to capture nx

Darlene

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Tue 26-Jun-12 01:24 AM
#11. "RE: Hi friends"
In response to Reply # 10

Ayden, US

Hi.
I think I understand your problem. It sound s like you copy the images in a folder to your desktop. Then when you look in that folder you see the PSE10 icon for your images. That is normal for windows.

I dealt with that problem by shooting RAW+JPEG Basic.

View NX2 will let you see the images. So will PSE10 Organizer. I know both work, I just checked them.

I hope this helps you.

Laverne

AClogston Registered since 07th Feb 2012Wed 27-Jun-12 02:51 AM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Hi friends"
In response to Reply # 11

US

I think the Windows codec posted earlier is what you're looking for as far as previewing images before opening them. It served this purpose for me.

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Wed 27-Jun-12 03:14 AM
#13. "RE: Hi friends"
In response to Reply # 12
Wed 27-Jun-12 03:15 AM by Lolrogge

Ayden, US

Will the codec allow you to see the image in a windows folder. That is something I need.

Laverne

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 27-Jun-12 04:03 AM
#14. "RE: Hi friends"
In response to Reply # 13

Seattle, WA, US

Yes. If the Nikon codec does not get the job done, try the one from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26829

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Wed 27-Jun-12 12:54 PM
#15. "RE: Hi friends"
In response to Reply # 14

Ayden, US

Thanks. I'll give that a try. I'd like to be able to shoot RAW only.

Laverne

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Wed 27-Jun-12 05:40 PM
#16. "RE: Hi friends"
In response to Reply # 15

Ayden, US

That works fine for NEF. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a codec that works for PSD or RAW from my G12 (Canon only supports 32-bit systems).

Now i can set my D5100 to RAW only.

Thanks again
Laverne

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Wed 27-Jun-12 06:14 PM
1302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Hi friends"
In response to Reply # 16
Wed 27-Jun-12 06:15 PM by greenwing

Yorkshire, GB

>That works fine for NEF.

>Unfortunately there doesn't appear
>to be a codec that works for PSD or RAW from my G12 (Canon
>only supports 32-bit systems).

I'd be surprised if that were true. But, as a Nikonian, I'm not that interested.

>Now i can set my D5100 to RAW only.
>
>Thanks again
>Laverne

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251447 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.