Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251442
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which colour space ?" Previous topic | Next topic
scottwesterman Registered since 11th Jun 2012Sun 24-Jun-12 02:40 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which colour space ?"

GB

Im looking for a little advice, i always shoot raw in the srgb colour space in camera (nikon d90) now i hear so many people say shoot in adobe srgb, edit in srgb and the when you export your files to jpeg convert to srgb.
Is this a recommended technique ?
Could this help my issue with red/orange colours ?
Thanks
Scott

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

HHargitt Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2010Sun 24-Jun-12 08:24 PM
511 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which colour space ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Maple Ridge, CA

I shoot in Adobe RGB 98, process in Prophoto (because it is larger than either Adobe RGB or SRGB), then save in SRGB for the web or printing services. It all depends on your workflow, I use a profiled monitor and printing to display my work at home and rely on whatever the viewer has on their system.
As I understand it the order of gamut size from small to larger is SRGB, Adobe RGB 98, most DSLRs, Prophoto. Prophoto enncompases all of the red and blue with only a small amount of yellow being clipped when converting from the camera sensors native gamut.

It's best to shoot, process and display in the widest possible color space.

Happy shooting,

Howard

Will shoot for fame...fun...food... a heck I'll shoot anytime anywhere.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 24-Jun-12 11:26 PM
3279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which colour space ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

It doesn't matter what color space you set the camera to when you shoot RAW (a RAW image has no color space). You can select it later depending on what the final use of the image will be, e.g. sRGB for web use.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Lighter Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2012Mon 25-Jun-12 03:06 PM
1066 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which colour space ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Calcutta, IN

+1 with Alan

It is not important to choose the color space if you are shooting RAW. You can assign any color space you desire in your editing program later.
The sRGB color space in your camera is important if you use the JPEG s generated by your camera or you shoot JPEGS instead of RAW.

http://500px.com/sriroyc
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sroyc/
My gear: D90, AF-S 300 f4, AF-S 18-55 VR, Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251442 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.