Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251423
View in linear mode

Subject: "D80 landscapes" Previous topic | Next topic
shearer Registered since 19th Jun 2012Wed 20-Jun-12 08:17 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D80 landscapes"

GB

I,ve had a D80 for a while with supplied kit lens 18-135. Close focus and mid-range shots Ok, but disappointed with results for landscapes. Has anybody used a lens which gives good results or should I change to camera with full size sensor

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D80 landscapes
espeto68 Gold Member
20th Jun 2012
shearer
21st Jun 2012
johnnosacka
21st Jun 2012
johnnosacka
21st Jun 2012
shearer
21st Jun 2012
JosephK Silver Member
21st Jun 2012
shearer
21st Jun 2012
MEMcD Moderator
21st Jun 2012
shearer
21st Jun 2012
elec164 Silver Member
22nd Jun 2012
shearer
22nd Jun 2012
elec164 Silver Member
22nd Jun 2012
espeto68 Gold Member
22nd Jun 2012
elec164 Silver Member
21st Jun 2012
WD4MLA Silver Member
22nd Jun 2012
shearer
22nd Jun 2012
WD4MLA Silver Member
23rd Jun 2012
benthans Silver Member
23rd Jun 2012

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Wed 20-Jun-12 10:46 PM
440 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D80 landscapes"
In response to Reply # 0

Oeiras, PT

Hi Michael,

I've been use my D90 for landscapes with quite good results. At the beggining was with the 18-55, then i upgrade to the 16-85 with good results with both lenses.
All that "matters" is the glass in front of the camera, and i think i may say that these kit lenses are quite good for landscapes shots.
What settings are you using?

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, F80, F Photomic FTn

shearer Registered since 19th Jun 2012Thu 21-Jun-12 07:46 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D80 landscapes"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Hi Jose

I've tried with several settings, mainly aperture priority, using small or mid-range aperture and keeping ISo to 100

johnnosacka Registered since 10th Jun 2012Thu 21-Jun-12 02:25 AM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D80 landscapes"
In response to Reply # 0

Baton Rouge, US

I still love my D80. Here's a link to a pic taken with a tokina 12-24 f4. Check it out:

https://picasaweb.google.com/105824226393277640140/June202012

johnnosacka Registered since 10th Jun 2012Thu 21-Jun-12 02:38 AM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D80 landscapes"
In response to Reply # 2

Baton Rouge, US

just figures out how to upload to a gallery:

shearer Registered since 19th Jun 2012Thu 21-Jun-12 07:49 AM
#6. "RE: D80 landscapes"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Thanks for photo, looks good with the lens your using,might give that a try
Thanks

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 21-Jun-12 05:26 AM
3762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D80 landscapes"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

>I,ve had a D80 for a while with supplied kit lens 18-135.
>Close focus and mid-range shots Ok, but disappointed with
>results for landscapes.

In what way are you disappointed with the shots from the 18-135mm?

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

shearer Registered since 19th Jun 2012Thu 21-Jun-12 07:51 AM
#7. "RE: D80 landscapes"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

Hi Joseph

printing Photos out at A3 size for competition, but losing detail in the distance

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 21-Jun-12 02:10 PM
25048 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D80 landscapes"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu 21-Jun-12 02:13 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi Michael,

Welcome to Nikonians!
What aperture are you using?
What shutter speed are you using?
Are you using a tripod?
Are you shooting Raw or jpeg?
Are you sharpening the image in PP?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

shearer Registered since 19th Jun 2012Thu 21-Jun-12 10:20 PM
#10. "RE: D80 landscapes"
In response to Reply # 8

GB

Hi Marty
This photo was taken f/20 1/30sec 200 ISO focal length 18mm on a monopod

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=22357

Mike

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 22-Jun-12 02:46 AM
1908 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D80 landscapes"
In response to Reply # 10

US

>This photo was taken f/20

Thanks for the sample image Mike.

My initial perception is that the image as a whole doesn't look relatively sharp anywhere. That could have to do with the down-sampling for inclusion into the galleries, or possibly affects of diffraction.

At f/20 you are well into diffraction on a DX sensor. If you were shooting a macro image, I might agree that a trade off of a small loss in fine detail would be offset by the gain in DOF. But it usually is not a good idea with landscape images. I wouldn't have gone beyond f/11. At f/11 and 18mm with a 5 foot focus distance you would have had a DOF from about 2.5 feet to infinity.

And to that point, you need to decide what the main subject is. Some people would use the hyper focal distance to get the maximum DOF. But if the background is more important to the image, some would argue that that should be the plane of focus. You only loose a bit of foreground DOF, but gain more relative sharpness where the subject is.

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

shearer Registered since 19th Jun 2012Fri 22-Jun-12 06:17 AM
#12. "RE: D80 landscapes"
In response to Reply # 11

GB

Thanks Pete, will try your settings to see the difference they make. Your mention of diffraction as being possible cause of image degradation, is that due to aperture used or would using camera with full size sensor improve it

Mike

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 22-Jun-12 12:25 PM
1908 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D80 landscapes"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Diffraction is a property of a waveform as it encounters an obstacle/barrier. So yes it’s due to the aperture and the amount of enlargement of the capture. So the sensor size itself is not responsible, but the amount of enlargement to achieve a specific print size and the viewing distance of the print. It’s similar to DOF in that regard. Again assuming an 8x10 print viewed at 18 inches, a DX sensor needs a 13 times enlargement to achieve that size and would show diffraction after about f/11. An FX sensor needs about 8 times enlargement and would show diffraction after about f/16. But again that assumes a specific enlargement at a specific viewing distance. If you crop then enlarge or view the print closer than what’s considered a normal distance, you will need a larger aperture to avoid diffraction affects.

Also the softness due to diffraction can be mitigated to an extent by a sharpening process known as de-convolution. But while de-convolution can improve the appearance of relative sharpness, it cannot recover fine detail that was lost to diffraction.

Rather than give a lengthy explanation you can check out these two articles. One at Luminous-landscape and the other at Cambridge-in-Colour .

Pete

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Fri 22-Jun-12 08:20 PM
440 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D80 landscapes"
In response to Reply # 10

Oeiras, PT

Although you're well into the difraction area, shooting at a shutter speed of 1/30, on a monopod, you might get a little camera movement. For landscape, maybe the best is to use a sturdy tripod with a cable release (or self-timer optino on your D80). Try not to go beyond f/16, f/11 is best, and focus at the hyperfocal distance (you can get really nice hyperfocal charts here in nikonians forums).

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, F80, F Photomic FTn

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 21-Jun-12 04:26 PM
#9. "RE: D80 landscapes"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I am also curious to hear the answers to Marty’s excellent questions. I think this is where a sample image with EXIF data intact is worth more than a 1000 words! Being that you state you are disappointed with the loss of distant detail, it sounds more of a DOF issue than an unsharp lens issue.

But I would also add that a lens can only truly focus on a single plane, and everything else falls under relative sharpness. Relative sharpness and DOF is highly dependent upon the amount of enlargement and viewing distance. If you focused upon a foreground element, given sufficient aperture the background will fall under DOF or relative sharpness. But DOF tables generally assume an 8x10 print (bit smaller than A4) viewed at about 18 inches. If you print larger and view it at about the same distance, what appeared to be relatively sharp before can look less sharp.

While I had a D80 and 18-135, I didn’t really use that lens much because I acquired the Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 shortly after getting the D80 and mainly used that with the Nikkor 70-300 VR as my main lenses. So while I could provide landscape images taken with the 17-55, I don’t think it would be a fair comparison to images taken with the 18-135.

Hope this helps.

Pete

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Fri 22-Jun-12 05:45 PM
894 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D80 landscapes"
In response to Reply # 0

Sylva, US

Michael

Welcome to the Nikonians!

I have a D80 that also came with the 18-135mm kit lens. If you are unable to get good landscapes with that setup, I would look somewhere other than the lens and camera!

Almost everything I have had published was with that lens, including calendars, magazine articles, resort brouchers and TV. This is a very sharp lens.

I upgraded to the 16-85VR to get the extra 2mm and VR, but I did not expect to get, nor did I see any great IQ improvement. In what way are you disappointed?

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

shearer Registered since 19th Jun 2012Fri 22-Jun-12 07:01 PM
#15. "RE: D80 landscapes"
In response to Reply # 14

GB

Hi Jerry

I find some of the landscape photos appear in soft focus not pin sharp, as you suggest may be my setting of camera, although have experimented with different settings

Mike

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sat 23-Jun-12 12:57 PM
894 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: D80 landscapes"
In response to Reply # 15

Sylva, US

Mike,

Maybe you could post some of the setting's data so we can help pin it down. At my age, I found when shooting around 135mm, handheld, I was not getting crisp detail. This was due to hand shake, easily contolled with a tripod.

Small aperatures used in landscapes do affect shutter speeds to the point that handshake could come into play if you are not using a tripod. DOF also plays a large roll.

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

benthans Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2008Sat 23-Jun-12 10:38 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D80 landscapes"
In response to Reply # 0

Skovlunde, DK

I have Nikkor 18-55, 18-200 to D7000, but final choice for landscapes is Nikkor 16-85, which gives the best results.

Besřg min Nikonians galleri.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251423 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.