Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251392
View in linear mode

Subject: "Focus lock on d90" Previous topic | Next topic
scottwesterman Registered since 11th Jun 2012Wed 13-Jun-12 08:52 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Focus lock on d90"

GB

Hi everyone, im wanting to know if i can focus with centre focus point, half press shutter button to lock focus and exposure then recompose and shoot several frames ? Im finding that the first shot is ok but the others the focus has moved to when the centre focus point has been recomposed to.
My d200 does this no worries but the d90 doesnt.
Im shooting in af-s too.
?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Focus lock on d90
CharlieS
14th Jun 2012
espeto68 Gold Member
14th Jun 2012
scottwesterman
14th Jun 2012
espeto68 Gold Member
14th Jun 2012
scottwesterman
14th Jun 2012
espeto68 Gold Member
14th Jun 2012
scottwesterman
14th Jun 2012

CharlieS Registered since 29th Aug 2007Thu 14-Jun-12 12:19 AM
1729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Focus lock on d90"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'm away from home right now and can't give you specific settings, however you can set the camera up to use the AF-ON button on the back of the camera (instead of the shutter button half press) then the camera will hold the same point of focus for multiple shots.
At least i believe i'm correct in advising this, having never owned a D90.
Someone else will chime in with exact settings or correct me if i'm wrong.

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Thu 14-Jun-12 06:11 AM
457 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Focus lock on d90"
In response to Reply # 1

Oeiras, PT

Though the D90 doesn't have an AF-ON button on the back, you can set the AE/AF button on the back to work as AF-ON, and disable the focus on the shutter release. I have mine configured like this.

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, F80, F Photomic FTn

scottwesterman Registered since 11th Jun 2012Thu 14-Jun-12 04:40 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Focus lock on d90"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Does the camera in this mode lock the focus if you recompose and shoot multiple frames. Thats my issue as my focus moves after the first shot.

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Thu 14-Jun-12 04:52 PM
457 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Focus lock on d90"
In response to Reply # 3

Oeiras, PT

When using only the AE/AF button configured to AF-ON and disable the focus from the shutter release button, the focus doesn't move till you press the AE/AF button again.

José

scottwesterman Registered since 11th Jun 2012Thu 14-Jun-12 05:29 PM
#5. "RE: Focus lock on d90"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

I must be missing something as i have the ae-l/af-l back button set up for af on, I have to focus with that button but unless im pressing it the shutter wont fire and if i keep my thumb on it and focus and recompose the first shot is in focus but the others the focus has moved ????
It could be me being thick, it happens

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Thu 14-Jun-12 06:27 PM
#6. "RE: Focus lock on d90"
In response to Reply # 5

Oeiras, PT

Are you using AF-C?
I only use AF-C and wait for the green dot focus confirmation in the viewfinder, don't know if it works with AF-S.

José

scottwesterman Registered since 11th Jun 2012Thu 14-Jun-12 07:28 PM
#7. "RE: Focus lock on d90"
In response to Reply # 6

GB

That was it !!! it doesnt work in af-s

Many thanks

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251392 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.