Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251385
View in linear mode

Subject: "D80" Previous topic | Next topic
chi1492 Registered since 12th Jun 2012Tue 12-Jun-12 10:02 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D80"

US

Would you upgrade Nikon D80 to a D7000 or buy a $1200 Nikon lens?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D80
MEMcD Moderator
12th Jun 2012
espeto68 Gold Member
12th Jun 2012
chi1492
13th Jun 2012
RWCooper
13th Jun 2012
johnnosacka
17th Jun 2012
espeto68 Gold Member
05th Oct 2012
clayolmstead Silver Member
27th Jun 2012
Scotty Silver Member
29th Jun 2012
Bluewaterhooker0
29th Jun 2012
klrbee25 Silver Member
01st Sep 2012
johnnosacka
01st Sep 2012
Caroleen Silver Member
02nd Sep 2012
JCY88
26th Sep 2012
Enthus_Photo
09th Oct 2012
km6xz Moderator
09th Oct 2012
phwayne3966
19th Oct 2012
MEMcD Moderator
20th Oct 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 12-Jun-12 10:28 PM
25888 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D80"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Marcela,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Camera bodies come and go, "Fast Glass" is a lifetime investment.
Lenses hold their value significantly better than camera bodies. That said,
Tell us more about the lens that you are considering, what you shoot and the ambient conditions you will be shooting in.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Tue 12-Jun-12 10:29 PM
455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D80"
In response to Reply # 0

Oeiras, PT

Hi,

I would buy an used 70-200 2.8 VR1.
I don't have a D7000, but do have a D90. Though the D7000 is a good upgrade from the D80, and D90 as well, the best investment you can make is on the best lenses available. I find that when i offered an used D70s to my girlfriend and was quite surprised with the excelent IQ from files, almost as good as the ones i can achieve with my D90.
BTW, if you take just a minute to fill your profile, concerning your equipment, it will help to get excelent advice provided here in Nikonians (not from myself, ).

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, F80, F Photomic FTn

chi1492 Registered since 12th Jun 2012Wed 13-Jun-12 04:54 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D80"
In response to Reply # 2

US

gree that glass ususally is best, I am lusting for more megapixels because when I need to crop, the quality of my photos are not as good.

i own several lens starting from the oldest whioch does not meter wwith my D80: a Nikkor AI-S 105mm f1.8, a Sigma AFZoom 70-210 F/3.5-4.5APO, an AF Zoom-Nikkior 35-70mm F/2.8 D and the latest an AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6G VR. I don't want to be lugging all my lebnses when on field trip, etc. that is why I am torn between buying a very good all-aroung lens or a camera with more mp. The D7000 has 16MP and the D80 has 10.5mp.

Do you see my dilemma?

RWCooper Registered since 04th Jul 2004Wed 13-Jun-12 07:47 PM
976 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D80"
In response to Reply # 3

Winnipeg, CA

Under what conditions do you need to crop? Perhaps you need a lens with a longer focal length.

Enjoy!

Randy

johnnosacka Registered since 10th Jun 2012Sun 17-Jun-12 12:00 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D80"
In response to Reply # 3

Baton Rouge, US

I'm in a similar situation and have gotten some good advice: does a new camera do something your camera doesn't? You said you want to be able to have more usable crops. You already have a lens that goes to 210, so unless you're considering a 300mm lens, i'd say camera upgrade since the D7000 will allow you to shoot at higher ISO in adition to having the 16MP sensor

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Fri 05-Oct-12 12:33 PM
455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D80"
In response to Reply # 3

Oeiras, PT

Hi,

Concerning your equipment, another option is to go for a fast prime 35 or 50 1.8, they are really bargains.
My light travel kit is D90, 35 1.8, 16-85(some times the 10-24) and 70-300. The 35 1.8 sits on the D90 most of the time. I'm still in the process to "learn" how to shoot with a prime, but getting more involved.

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, F80, F Photomic FTn

clayolmstead Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Wed 27-Jun-12 03:36 AM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D80"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, US

Here's some sage advice from a salty old guy (Thom Hogan):

http://www.bythom.com/blame.htm

In a nutshell, his advice is:

1. Upgrade the photographer.
2. Upgrade the support and shot discipline.
3. Upgrade the lens.
4. Upgrade your camera.

You should read the whole article for the full explanation of all of these, but you get the gist.

In general, I'm with John on this one: why do you need to crop? Is it because there was no way possible to get closer to your subject? In that case you might want to think about a longer lens - and possibly trade in some lenses you're not using. The other possibility is that you just need to get closer before you shoot. We can't tell you that without know what you're trying to get a picture of.

Clay
Austin, TX USA

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Fri 29-Jun-12 03:28 AM
4820 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D80"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

If the camera doesn't do what you want/need - for example poor low light performance, noisy high ISO etc then get a body that solves that issue.

If however the body performance isn't the real issue then get fast glass - always get fast glass - pro lenses last forever - I use 2 that date from the late 1990s and they are wonderful...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Bluewaterhooker0 Registered since 31st Jan 2009Fri 29-Jun-12 04:22 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D80"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa, US

Since you already have a 200mm in your arsenal, and are considering a longer lens, such as a 300mm, you might want to take a look at this Nikon Simulator to see if, indeed, that extra 100mm will accomplish what you desire. 300mm isn't really all that long under certain conditions. Cropping may be your best solution, and thus a higher MP count on a newer body may be the answer. You can compare the reach of your 200, to that of a 300, to see the effect. Good luck.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/simulator/index.htm

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006Sat 01-Sep-12 02:32 AM
1384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D80"
In response to Reply # 0

Naples, US

I would normally agree with everyone that glass comes before body, but I have to weigh in on the D80. I absolutely hated my D80. Looking back on my D80 photos tonight, it amazes me how exposure and color were completely 'off' with that camera. I also notice a lot of focus inaccuracy and soft shots from my D80 photos. I always shoot RAW and the RAW files from the D80 require so much post-processing it used to make my head spin. I've owned a bunch of Nikon bodies and the D80 was hands down the worst. I loved the D50 so much I bought another after regretting selling my first. I briefly owned a D90 as a backup for my D300 but sold it to upgrade to a D800. Every one of these bodies made the D80 look like a bum camera.

So, I'd highly highly recommend getting rid of the D80 and moving to a better body. You won't regret it.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

johnnosacka Registered since 10th Jun 2012Sat 01-Sep-12 03:01 AM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D80"
In response to Reply # 9

Baton Rouge, US

Thanks Alex. I just bought a used D7000 and the improvement is amazing.

Caroleen Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2007Sun 02-Sep-12 12:05 PM
133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D80"
In response to Reply # 9

Carthage, US

Thank you for saying this because I've had a D80 for a few years. Recently I have been so disappointed with my pictures, feeling like I have a pretty good idea how to take a decent image, and yet they are coming out lousy. My friend purchased a D7000 and I went shooting with her and WOW what a difference.

I was wandering if it could be my camera but kind of throwing that idea aside until I read this review. Thanks for sharing.

JCY88 Registered since 24th Aug 2012Wed 26-Sep-12 05:34 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D80"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have owned D80 for many years and still used it when I want to walk about shooting anything; I leave D300/800 for more specific shooting tasks. Lenses are for more long term investment. You always need a collection of lenses more than the bodies to extend your capturing capability, from macro to wide angle to telephoto. I found out the keeper images I have we're from D80 with various lenses because it is so easy to forget the equipment you are using and focus on the subjects. Just my 2 cents. Cheers!

Enthus_Photo Registered since 16th May 2012Tue 09-Oct-12 01:05 AM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D80"
In response to Reply # 12

US

I probably would have sold the D80 and used the funds plus the $1200 to buy a D90 (or maybe a D300), a 35 f/1.8 and an 85 f/1.8 and been a really happy kid.

It sucks to be glass-poor, and a couple nice lenses showed me how good the D90 sensor can really be.

I wound up skipping the D7000 for a D300s for the better handling and AF and I couldn't be happier...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Visit my blog: enthusiastphotographer.com

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 09-Oct-12 12:49 PM
3312 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D80"
In response to Reply # 14

St Petersburg, RU

I do not think this is an either/or situation. A longer term plan could address specific weaknesses and shifts in priorities.
What about selling the D80(yes, it is fine....until shooting with even a D90 when the display, noise performance, metering, etc are experienced it is a worthy upgrade for almost no money since used D90s are $400 or so) to improve in just about every category of performance, a little, not dramatically but those little improvements translates to a better image and use.
Consider what you shoot and get at least one lens that you feel will work better for your main interest. For example if you are interesting in portraiture, a $450 85 1.8G is a great lens, at a great price that would sing on a D90, and up, even a D800.
If you have an interest in more creative control of your lighting, getting a good speed light or adding to your collection. Nothing increases options and image quality as much as photographer optimized lighting.
There is a total of about $1200 and almost assured of having more appealing images.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

phwayne3966 Registered since 08th Aug 2012Fri 19-Oct-12 04:25 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D80"
In response to Reply # 0

Boulder, US

I upgraded my D80 to a D90 a few years ago. The step to a D90 or a D7000 is a significant improvement, and I recommend buy a new body rather than lens. The major improvements I immediately notices were better auto-focus (especially if you shoot sports or anything in motion), much less noise at hi-iso - D90 is good quality up to 1600; D7000 is good up to 3200 (though it will go to 6400). FPS is higher. You also get compatibility with the wireless speedlites (Commander Mode)

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 20-Oct-12 02:02 AM
25888 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D80"
In response to Reply # 16

US

Hi Peter,

>You also get compatibility with the wireless speedlites (Commander Mode)

Both the D80 and the D90 are CLS wireless compatable including Commander mode just like the D7000.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251385 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.