Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251375
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 Skin colour issue ? too much red/orange" Previous topic | Next topic
scottwesterman Registered since 11th Jun 2012Mon 11-Jun-12 05:16 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 Skin colour issue ? too much red/orange"

UK

Im hoping you can help me, I am new to the forums but have been shooting Nikon cameras for just over a year now ( I was shooting C cameras before)
I mainly shoot portraits, events and more recently weddings. I have a d200, d90 50mm f1.4, nikon 70-210 f4-5.6(not used much) and a Tamron 28-75 f2.8. I'm loving the focus systems in the bodies (canon ones were poor) but im really have a hard time with skintones and too much red/orange in them.
I have downloaded the profiles (d2x) for lightroom but none seem to work right, taking the red and orange sliders down dont work either.
Has anyone had this issue before and what can i do to sort it out ?
Please help !
Scott

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D90 Skin colour issue ? too much red/orange
aolander Silver Member
12th Jun 2012
scottwesterman
12th Jun 2012
OnTERRYo Silver Member
12th Jun 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
12th Jun 2012
IanCT
18th Jun 2012
scottwesterman
18th Jun 2012
JH
19th Jun 2012
AClogston
20th Jun 2012
ama11441 Silver Member
27th Jun 2012

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 12-Jun-12 12:44 AM
3333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 Skin colour issue ? too much red/orange"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

It sounds like a white balance (WB) issue. What do you use for WB? If you shoot in RAW, you can easily adjust WB after the fact. More difficult with JPEGs. Setting a custom WB may help, too.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

scottwesterman Registered since 11th Jun 2012Tue 12-Jun-12 06:03 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 Skin colour issue ? too much red/orange"
In response to Reply # 1

UK

Hi and thanks for replying, I shot raw but i dont use a custom wb. I just like to adjust it later in post but i do find i have to choose what i want to look correct, either the skin or everything else. If i get the skin looking right everything else is off and vica versa.

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Tue 12-Jun-12 10:29 PM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 Skin colour issue ? too much red/orange"
In response to Reply # 2

Hamilton, CA

Hi Scott,

How about shooting in Portrait mode or have you tried that already?

Terry.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 12-Jun-12 10:58 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D90 Skin colour issue ? too much red/orange"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

A sample image with the EXIF data intact might help.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Mon 18-Jun-12 08:43 AM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D90 Skin colour issue ? too much red/orange"
In response to Reply # 0

SF Bay, US

I usually adjust WB in LR3 and that helps a lot, sometimes (but not always) the color red will turn out really hot with my D300s, like if someone is wearing a red tshirt, it looks REALLY red and bright.

scottwesterman Registered since 11th Jun 2012Mon 18-Jun-12 02:21 PM
#6. "RE: D90 Skin colour issue ? too much red/orange"
In response to Reply # 5

UK

I had a d300s and sold it as the red issue was worse than i am having with the d90 and also the noise at low iso was really weird.
I was always told with digital to over expose slighty but i think doing this i am clipping the red channel, If i slightly under expose i dont seem to have such a big problem.
I cannot complain too much as i am getting some very good images with my equipment.
Im really getting to like my Nikon gear. ( never thought i would say that )

JH Basic MemberTue 19-Jun-12 09:07 PM
1477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D90 Skin colour issue ? too much red/orange"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampere, FI

I've noticed that D90 does pretty reddish/orange jpegs. I notice this when opening images in Lightroom that shows jpeg preview before loading raw image. Do you process them as raw or use just jpegs ?

-Janne

"Sunset is always an experience - but check the ISO speed!"

Visit my site at: http://www.nordicview.fi

AClogston Registered since 07th Feb 2012Wed 20-Jun-12 12:38 AM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D90 Skin colour issue ? too much red/orange"
In response to Reply # 7

US

This might be a dumb question, but it isn't a Picture Control setting is it? Shooting Menu first item.

ama11441 Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jun 2006Wed 27-Jun-12 01:58 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D90 Skin colour issue ? too much red/orange"
In response to Reply # 8

Clifton Park, US

Try reducing saturation. Skin colors and reds will look more natural.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251375 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.