Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251373
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 Lock Focus" Previous topic | Next topic
sxmwb Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2011Mon 11-Jun-12 02:11 AM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 Lock Focus"

Windsor, US

Is there a way to lock focus on the D90. I find at times, I want the focus at infinity or at some other distance for long periods of time. I have tried leaving it in manual focus but I bump the darn thing. After reading about locking focus (the three different ways) none of them seem permanent.

Just looking for guidance.

Thanks
Mike

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D90 Lock Focus
OnTERRYo Silver Member
11th Jun 2012
sxmwb Silver Member
11th Jun 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
11th Jun 2012
OnTERRYo Silver Member
11th Jun 2012
sxmwb Silver Member
11th Jun 2012
AClogston
12th Jun 2012
HenkB Silver Member
16th Jun 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
16th Jun 2012
sxmwb Silver Member
16th Jun 2012
sxmwb Silver Member
16th Jun 2012
HenkB Silver Member
17th Jun 2012

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Mon 11-Jun-12 03:40 PM
524 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 Lock Focus"
In response to Reply # 0

Hamilton, CA

Mike,

Welcome to the Nikonians website.

What; 23 views and no comments or offers???

Let's try this one - you may have already.
Page 57 of the manual could help.
Maybe page 173 which is referenced on page 57.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Terry.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

sxmwb Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2011Mon 11-Jun-12 04:39 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 Lock Focus"
In response to Reply # 1

Windsor, US

Terry,

Those three solutions on page 57 are what I had read in other places but the manual confirms those as solutions. While reading those they all seem to temporary to the situation, once the buttons are released the lock is gone.

Thanks for the reply Terry.

Mike

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 11-Jun-12 04:32 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 Lock Focus"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Change the focus mode on the camera body or lens to M, Manual focus, and set your focus distance. Now you can recompose and the focused distance will not change even if you turn off your camera.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Mon 11-Jun-12 06:31 PM
524 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D90 Lock Focus"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 11-Jun-12 06:31 PM by OnTERRYo

Hamilton, CA

George's advice seems sound.
Now, the challenge is remember that it is on manual.
When you pick up your camera and it seems to be not behaving the way you want.
I've seen that on other threads here.
Terry.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

sxmwb Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2011Mon 11-Jun-12 07:04 PM
#5. "RE: D90 Lock Focus"
In response to Reply # 4

Windsor, US

Terry, George,

Thanks. The only issue I have had with manual mode is bumping the focus ring and so it goes out of focus.

I guess I could use a piece of painters tape as needed to keep it in place. In the heat of the moment, while storm chasing, things get bumped easily at times.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

AClogston Registered since 07th Feb 2012Tue 12-Jun-12 03:18 AM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D90 Lock Focus"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue 12-Jun-12 03:18 AM by AClogston

US

I've been using back-button autofocus for a while now and that only adjusts focus when you want to, it essentially locks until you refocus every time. Very handy, but not everyone's cup o' tea.

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Sat 16-Jun-12 12:34 AM
536 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D90 Lock Focus"
In response to Reply # 5

Wayland, US

Sounds exciting! Tape seems like a reasonable option. Of the two sorts of 3M blue tape, the one for delicate surfaces has the more aggressive adhesive (go figure) and has proved to be more likely to be left behind. The 14day stuff seems more likely not to disfigure your lens. Depending on the lens, wrapping some material like paper towel or glove leather grain toward the lens around the focus ring and body and then tightening it with painter's tape might do. (Aside: leather has two surfaces; grain and flesh. In leather circles, the flesh is the part toward the inside of the animal, the grain is the outside. Virtually all leather garments, shoes, etc are made with the grain outside.) Or, you might still be able to get broccoli or some such bunched vegetable with the wide, heavy rubber bands. For some lens barrels, they might be able to do a good job of providing drag without adhesive. An 'O'-ring perhaps?

A non AF-S AF lens (camera drive - you really do have to be brusque to move the focus, 'bumping' would have little effect) would be more likely to stay locked at a focus point (presumably just short of infinity or are we talking hyperfocal, here?) set to AF but with the thumb button set to AF-ON (f4, AF-ON - also removes AF from the shutter button), AF set to AF-C.

Is storm chasing a life sport? Not sure I'd like to try it.

Best,

Hendrik

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sat 16-Jun-12 05:53 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D90 Lock Focus"
In response to Reply # 7

Chicago, US

Gaffers tape is designed for the film and TV industry.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

sxmwb Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2011Sat 16-Jun-12 08:44 PM
#10. "RE: D90 Lock Focus"
In response to Reply # 8

Windsor, US

George,

Thanks. I'll look for it.

Mike

sxmwb Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2011Sat 16-Jun-12 08:42 PM
#9. "RE: D90 Lock Focus"
In response to Reply # 7

Windsor, US

Hendrik,

Thanks for all the good information.

Storm chasing is fun. The key is being safe and then finally getting in a good spot to take pictures of either the macro storm structure or the mirco storm structure (tornadoes and hail.) Some times the macro structure is the the best.

Regards,
Mike

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Sun 17-Jun-12 08:37 PM
536 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D90 Lock Focus"
In response to Reply # 9

Wayland, US

Mike,

The photos I've seen are of some pretty astounding heavy weather. Good luck with the staying safe part of the endeavor.

The more I think about it the less I like putting any sort of adhesive in direct contact with the lens. Changing focus, if it meant taking tape off, would be too big a deal to be convenient. Hence the suggestions for clean and durable alternatives.

There's another (sub)option, it turns out. If you have or can get the use of a non-AF-S lens like my Micro Nikkor 105 2.8D that sports a device (in this case a ring with a lock button) specifically for setting the lens to AF or MF, then, with the lens set to AF and the camera set with the AF-ON relegated only to the thumb button, the camera is effectively in focus lock since the focus ring has been decoupled from the focussing mechanism. No amount of twiddling will change the focus setting - only pressing the thumb button. True, it's not a zoom...

Putting drag on a camera drive AF lens that doesn't decouple would, I suspect, endanger the camera's AF motor and gearing. The lens that took this shot (24-85, 2.8-4D) has a focus ring that does not decouple and is virtually impossible to turn when the camera drive is engaged. If it is bad form to wrench the focus ring while engaged, it must be equally bad form to restrain the focus ring while the camera is trying to focus.

This wouldn't matter as much for an AF-S lens since the focus ring is connected to the focus drive through a slip mechanism. There, any drag would work and I would regard as preferable drag that did not involve putting tape directly on the lens.

Best,

Hendrik

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251373 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.