Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251349
View in linear mode

Subject: "another sort of strange question" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Wed 06-Jun-12 05:27 PM
1408 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"another sort of strange question"

US

Hi again ladies and gentlemen.
Well, just did about 25 new waterdrop notecards that the lady from the art gallery requested from me. Time consuming to say the least.
But here is my question, when her and I met, (the owner of the art gallery) she advised me that I should sign my name directly on the photos as she says this makes them more valuable,,,(uhhuh), so I just sat and signed all 25 cards. But my question is this, I do my enlargements and prints through mpix, which automatically puts my copyright on each and every one of them on the back. So what would be the reasoning for signing even these small notecards directly on the picture. I, personally, think it takes away from my drops. Maybe it's just me..Let me know what you all think...thanks friends.

Darlene

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 06-Jun-12 06:50 PM
1981 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: another sort of strange question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hard to say really; a signed print from someone famous is more valuable than an unsigned print.

Side story that’s sort of associated. I took pics of the Space Shuttle Enterprise flyover the Hudson River recently. I printed out some shots to show the staff at the Treatment Center I was going to and gave them to the receptionist being that she has three young sons. They loved them, but then asked her why I didn’t sign them. I was puzzled stating that I’m not famous or anything, but she said they like to have them signed by the person who created them. I told her no problem, just bring them in and I’ll sign them.
Go figure!!!

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Wed 06-Jun-12 07:48 PM
1408 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: another sort of strange question"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Well there ya go then Pete, WE ARE SOMEBODY!!!!!!!!!!! But on the other hand, why isn't it enough especially in my situation to have my copyright on the back? Of course, then too, I guess for someone to see who did the work they would have to tear my picture from the frame and look,,,,duh!!! But I was more wondering about signing the notecards on the front of the picture because I didn't want to draw the attention away from the picture with my crappy handwriting.....hehehe

Darlene

michaelhager Registered since 15th Feb 2007Thu 07-Jun-12 02:03 PM
2284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: another sort of strange question"
In response to Reply # 2

Fountain Inn, US

For whatever reasons, there is value associated with a signature on any artwork.

Whether you are "somebody" or not, potential buyers of your photographs perceive that there is a higher value with a real signature. They don't know if you are "somebody" or not, so just in case you might be, they will be more likely to pull out their wallets for your print over the one next to it without a signature. This, of course will increase the possibility that your prints will sell and isn't that what you really want?

Secondly, as you sell more prints and more people see them and word of mouth spreads, people will go looking for prints that can be verified to be your originals by your signature so after awhile you will start to become "somebody" and eventually when you ARE "somebody" those little prints will be worth a lot more than what they originally paid for them.

Then you can make bigger prints with your signature and sell them for a lot more than you can today and retire a rich "somebody" in high demand and I can claim I once gave a very famous "somebody" strategic advice when they were first starting out and get my picture in People Magazine!

C. Michael Hager
Your most important piece of photo equipment is built into your face.
www.cmhager.com/Content/photo.shtml

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Fri 08-Jun-12 01:30 PM
#4. "RE: another sort of strange question"
In response to Reply # 3

US

HEY MICHAEL!!! THAT'S THAT'S THE KIND OF REPLY I LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thankyou, and I'll be sure to remember you and sign your copy of People magazine.....!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darlene

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251349 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.