Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251338
View in linear mode

Subject: "Opinions on the D90" Previous topic | Next topic
slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Mon 04-Jun-12 01:38 PM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Opinions on the D90"

Frederick, US

I was just looking at B&H while considering getting a DSLR for my granddaughter. I noticed that the D90 is about the same price as the D7000. Can anyone explain why this is? I would think that a newer design, with a more dense sensor (pixel-wise), higher ISO range, and more sophisticated movie capability, etc., would draw a higher price! Why doesn't it?

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Opinions on the D90
WhatAboutBob Gold Member
04th Jun 2012
MEMcD Moderator
04th Jun 2012
slothead Gold Member
04th Jun 2012
avvai
08th Jun 2012
jdroach Platinum Member
10th Jun 2012

WhatAboutBob Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Nov 2009Mon 04-Jun-12 03:25 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Opinions on the D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Georgetown, US

>I was just looking at B&H while considering getting a
>DSLR for my granddaughter. I noticed that the D90 is about
>the same price as the D7000. Can anyone explain why this is?
>I would think that a newer design, with a more dense sensor
>(pixel-wise), higher ISO range, and more sophisticated movie
>capability, etc., would draw a higher price! Why doesn't it?
D7000 is for body only, D90 includes 18-105 kit lens. If you want D7000 w/ kit lens, it's another $300...

Love my D90 w/ kit lens...

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 04-Jun-12 03:56 PM
25901 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Opinions on the D90"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Tom,

Are you comparing Apples to Apples?
The D90w/18-105mm is listed at $1099.00 and the D7000w/18-105mm is listed at $1396.95 after a $100.00 rebate. There is a similar difference in price between D90 Body Only ($849.00) and D7000 Body Only ($1096.95 after a $100.00 rebate.
About a$300.00 difference w/ lens and about a $250.00 difference body only both after rebates.

Trying to figure out pricing policies will lead to madness.
The last few times I checked prices at the Nikon Store, Refurbished D3's were priced significantly higher than Refurbished D3s's. Given how much better the D3s is, I am mystified at the difference in price.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Mon 04-Jun-12 04:24 PM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Opinions on the D90"
In response to Reply # 2

Frederick, US

Ok, I guess I wasn't comparing fairly. Thanks for the inputs.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

avvai Registered since 03rd Apr 2012Fri 08-Jun-12 01:04 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Opinions on the D90"
In response to Reply # 3

MY

I suggest get the D7000 if the $ is not an issue.
I am using D90 and I love it but D7000 obviously has newer features.

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sun 10-Jun-12 04:22 PM
4515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Opinions on the D90"
In response to Reply # 4

Milwaukee, US

You can go wrong with either. The D90 takes awesome images and slightly less challenging to learn then the D7000 depending on someone's comfort with the camera features.

However, the D7000 offers some weather resistance and expanded autofocus features among many other things.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251338 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.