Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251329
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon d70" Previous topic | Next topic
normrod62 Registered since 18th Dec 2011Sun 03-Jun-12 02:14 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon d70"

Manchester, US

This camera has probably seen its better day. It now only functions in auto mode. None of the manual or program features work. Not sure what to do or how expensive a fix this would be. Maybe time to shop for a new version. any advice from the experts?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon d70
vchelf Silver Member
03rd Jun 2012
HenkB Silver Member
03rd Jun 2012
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Jun 2012
jdphotos
25th Jul 2012
blw Moderator
27th Jul 2012
thormx538
30th Jul 2012
OnTERRYo Silver Member
30th Jul 2012

vchelf Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2009Sun 03-Jun-12 03:05 PM
284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon d70"
In response to Reply # 0

Houston, US

I had a D70 and loved it - until I got my D300s. Then I loved the D300s - until I got my D800. Cameras are like computers. Some would say they are computers. After a certain amount of time, they become obsolete. When they don't do the job for you any longer or they hold you back from being able to get the shots you want, then it is time for a new camera.

The lowest end of the current Nikon DSLR line has more power and functionality than the D70. If you can afford it, treat yourself to a new DSLR or a nice used model from one of your fellow Nikonians.

Best regards,

Victor Chelf (vchelf)
Houston, TX

Visit my Zenfolio gallery.

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Sun 03-Jun-12 05:23 PM
540 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon d70"
In response to Reply # 0

Wayland, US

Unless what's wrong can be fixed with a two-button reset, removing the battery for 24 hours, or is a matter of cleaning contacts or reseating a connector, replacement with a used body would likely be less expensive than a board-level repair. If you're handy, search on terms like "Nikon D70 repair" and see if any of the self-help sites offer anything you can use. D70 bodies are going for about $200 in places. KEH has EX+ examples for $215. So, in order to simply stay in place, that should be your budget for any repair. If the D70 does everything you want a camera to be able to do, then direct replacement may make sense for you.

If that doesn't suit your style, there is always the option to move up to a newer body. At least, with a dead DSLR, you get to keep the lens or lenses. As for me, when my D70 dies, I will put it gently to rest along with its antecedents and move on. I love it dearly, but...

Best,

Hendrik

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 03-Jun-12 09:12 PM
26134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon d70"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Normand,

Sorry to hear of your problem.
Have you tried resetting the camera by using a paper clip to press the reset button on the bottom of the camera?
If the problem persists, I would suspect the problem is the mode dial.
Good luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

jdphotos Registered since 12th Jun 2012Wed 25-Jul-12 10:39 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon d70"
In response to Reply # 3

US

If you have tried Marty's suggestion, resetting the camera, and still no luck, probably you can contact http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/
I heard that they are good. But I didn't use their service myself. Good luck!

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 27-Jul-12 12:10 PM
26734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Nikon d70"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

This problem could be simple to fix, or it could be really hard. It sounds like the mode dial is what is wrong, and that's easy. But it could be a circuitry problem, and on these cameras nearly all of the circuitry is on one or two major components that are expensive to replace. A D70 is only worth about $250 these days, so it rapidly becomes economically infeasible to do much in the way of repair.

I'd discuss with an authorized repair station (there's a list on Nikon's web site).

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

thormx538 Registered since 05th Jul 2012Mon 30-Jul-12 08:19 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon d70"
In response to Reply # 5

US

D70's are worth even less than that actually. I just paid 103$ for one on Ebay yesterday that I'm going to convert to IR. Parts bodies are around 50 bucks.

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Mon 30-Jul-12 11:23 PM
528 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon d70"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon 30-Jul-12 11:23 PM by OnTERRYo

Hamilton, CA

Hi Norman,

I am still very new to the world of D70 but isn't there a recessed push in reset on the bottom? You could try that - nothing to loose.
Consult your manual.

Good luck with your problem.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251329 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.