Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251273
View in linear mode

Subject: "How to take picture in a cave" Previous topic | Next topic
orsoch Registered since 23rd May 2012Wed 23-May-12 10:11 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How to take picture in a cave"

GB

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie from England who just discovered your forum. I have a D80 and love it. I encountered a frustrating episode (gap in my knowledge!) when trying to take pictures in underground cave at the weekend. There was zero light and I had the camera on Auto. The flash popped up and the iluminating light came on and the camera would try to autofocus but because the rock had very little definition for the autofocus to latch on to, the shutter release would not fire and so I couldnt take a shot. Please could someone explain what I should do in this situation?

regards,

Chris

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How to take picture in a cave
elec164 Silver Member
23rd May 2012
orsoch
23rd May 2012
MEMcD Moderator
23rd May 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
23rd May 2012
orsoch
24th May 2012

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 23-May-12 12:32 PM
1969 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How to take picture in a cave"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hello Chris, welcome to Nikonians.

There are a few things you can do.

One is to manually focus, but being that the light level is low and the detail is minimal, that will also be difficult. Another method is to just estimate the distance and set the focus on the lens using the distance scale and selecting an aperture that will allow for a margin of error with the DOF. Unfortunately Nikon no longer includes a distance scale with newer designed consumer lenses (what were they thinking!!!).

Another suggestion I read is to carry around a flashlight (I believe you Brit’s call it a torch). Just shine the flashlight on the rock to attain and lock focus, then recompose and shoot.

Also the focus assist light on the camera has a limited range, using a hot shoe mounted flash such as the SB700 would allow a greater distance with its IR based focus assist lamp.

Hope this helps!!

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

orsoch Registered since 23rd May 2012Wed 23-May-12 01:47 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How to take picture in a cave"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Thanks Pete!

I rarely venture into manual modes but sounds like I have an excuse to do so. Unfortuately I am a hundred miles away from the cave now but I will practice in the house when it gets dark tonight to see if I can master the technique.

kind regards,

Chris

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 23-May-12 03:15 PM
25585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How to take picture in a cave"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Depending on the size of the chamber, the built in Speedlight might not have enough power to light a large chamber.
Adding one or more Speedlights to your kit and maybe a tripod will allow you to get creative with the lighting.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 23-May-12 06:51 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How to take picture in a cave"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 23-May-12 06:54 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

You can set the camera to ignore the achieved focus status.

An SB-600/700/800/900/910 or SU-800 used IR to create focus marks and many times can achieve focus when the white focus assist light can not.

If the camera can not auto focus, then you will have to manually focus the camera. There should be a M/A switch on the camera body and lens.

With more understanding of DOF, Depth of Field, you could set your camera to f8 and then select the DOF distance to include the area you are interested in. You should be able to get an image with an acceptable range of focused image.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

orsoch Registered since 23rd May 2012Thu 24-May-12 02:28 PM
#5. "RE: How to take picture in a cave"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

Thanks Marty, thanks George. Plenty of things for me to try out. Would have loved to have the time to experiment with tripods and flash guns but we were in a disused lead mine having floated down an underground river - it was a spur of the moment visit - next time I will be prepared!

regards,

Chris

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251273 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.