Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251270
View in linear mode

Subject: "can't find the answer" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Wed 23-May-12 01:49 AM
1408 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"can't find the answer"

US

Hi friends, I know I asked this on here before, but for the life of me I can't find it. So here goes again...Here's my set up.
d90 aimed at my waterdish. one sb600 pointed at the dish, the other on the oposite side aimed at my background. The distance is probably 6" from the waterdish, and the other 6" from the background. That probably has nothing to do with my question, but that gives the setup. I have the camera at iso 200, f8, shutter 200 which syncs to my 2 flashes. One is in group a, the other group b. Using commander mode, the built in flash is -- and both groups are at 1/25 (either 25 or 28, can't remember). Okay, finally for my question, which forgive me, I know I asked before, can't find the answer, but need to know..
I can fire off probably a good 20 or so right off the bat. After that, maybe 5, then maybe 2. That's when it starts to get frustrating. That is when I start to finally see my waterdrops all coming steadily, click the remote (which is wired)and I get 2 shots, then I wait probably while a good 5 or 6 drops land, then I can get off another 2 shots. That makes for a looooonnnnnnggg afternoon. Why does that happen, and is there something I can do to make it not be that way. Any suggestions greatly, greatly appreciated. And "oh my", I used some coffee and milk today,,,OH MY ,,what beauties...thanks my friends.

Darlene

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: can't find the answer
MEMcD Moderator
23rd May 2012
quenton8 Silver Member
23rd May 2012
JosephK Silver Member
23rd May 2012
pasknucklehead Silver Member
23rd May 2012
quenton8 Silver Member
23rd May 2012
JosephK Silver Member
25th May 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
23rd May 2012
pasknucklehead Silver Member
24th May 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
24th May 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 23-May-12 02:13 AM
25891 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: can't find the answer"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Darlene,

It sounds like you are filling the buffer and waiting for it to write one or two images to the card. Then you capture a few more images and the buffer is full again. If your card is slower than the D90's maximum write speed you might gain a few extra images per unit time.
Other than that, you will have to upgrade your camera body to one with a larger buffer and faster write speed.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Wed 23-May-12 03:45 AM
1228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: can't find the answer"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 23-May-12 03:45 AM by quenton8

Toronto, CA

If as you say you can get upwards of 20 shots first time. How long do you have to wait before you might get close to that again?

Wait maybe a minute and try -- if you get close to the 20, try waiting
30sec.

I don't know how big the buffer is or how long it takes to empty.

The other question is - what format are you shooting
raw, jpeg, raw+jpeg??

You will likely get the most out of one of the jpeg modes. If you want raw, don't do raw+jpeg -- more to write to the card.

Finally, what Class of card do you have? it should be shown on the card in brackets -- (6) (4) (10)

You want at least (6) -- much more (e.g. (10) might get you a tiny faster write, but not much in my experience)

----
Dennis Smith.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 23-May-12 01:40 PM
4320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: can't find the answer"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

>Using commander mode, the
>built in flash is -- and both groups are at 1/25 (either 25 or
>28, can't remember). Okay, finally for my question, which
>forgive me, I know I asked before, can't find the answer, but
>need to know..
>I can fire off probably a good 20 or so right off the bat.
>After that, maybe 5, then maybe 2.

Other folks have covered the write speed of the camera to empty the buffer.

Based on the numbers you are giving, the other possibility is that you need to give time for the speedlights to recharge. If you are running at 1/25 power, you can get about 25 rapid shots before the power is drained. Then you need to wait for the recharge.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Wed 23-May-12 08:03 PM
1408 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: can't find the answer"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Yes, I'm running both flashes at 1/25, and like I said it starts off pretty quick with at least I know 20 or so shots, then it starts dying down to 2 which is soooo frustrating to say the least. I thought of the buffer, but surely it wouldn't be full that quickly could it? I'm leaning more towards the flash, because it seems to me that when I just shoot on continous not using the flash , this doesn't happen, at least not as quickly. If it was writing to the buffer, wouldn't my light on the back of the camera be blinking? It isn't. Also, I always start off with fully charged flash batteries, fresh formatted card and fresh camera battery. But it happens all the time. How long does it take for the flash to recharge and would I still just get 2 flashes off before it stops all over again? I can go out of the room, put the dog out, come back to the camera, and maybe if I'm lucky get 5 shots off then we start back to the 2 again..then wait.then 2, then wait..what a pain...I am using a sandisk 8 gb card that has a 4 on it. A hp 4gb card which I don't see any other number on it and a pny 4gb with a 4 on it..Does that help? The rechargeable batteries are energizers and they are brand new...

Darlene

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Wed 23-May-12 08:09 PM
1228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: can't find the answer"
In response to Reply # 4

Toronto, CA

Well -- you should be able to remove the flash's from the test -- just don't use them and up the ISO -- see what happens.

The Class (4) cards might be a bit of a problem.

I have tested (6) vs (10) without seeing much increase. I have not tested (4)'s -- but I have read that they might slow things down a bit.

----
Dennis Smith.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 25-May-12 02:19 AM
4320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: can't find the answer"
In response to Reply # 4

Seattle, WA, US

>Yes, I'm running both flashes at 1/25, and like I said it
>starts off pretty quick with at least I know 20 or so shots,

25 x 1/25 = 25/25 = 100% drained.

>it seems to me that when I just
>shoot on continous not using the flash , this doesn't happen,
>at least not as quickly.

Sounds like it is related to the flash usage.

>How long does it take for the flash
>to recharge

5 "normal" batteries in my sb800 takes 2-5 seconds for a full recharge. Using just 4 batteries would take a little longer.

>would I still just get 2 flashes off before it
>stops all over again?

You should get another 25 out of it on a full recharge.

>I can go out of the room, put the dog
>out, come back to the camera, and maybe if I'm lucky get 5
>shots off then we start back to the 2 again..then wait.then 2,
>then wait..what a pain...I am using a sandisk 8 gb card that
>has a 4 on it. A hp 4gb card which I don't see any other
>number on it and a pny 4gb with a 4 on it..Does that help?
>The rechargeable batteries are energizers and they are brand
>new...

Something is not right there....

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 23-May-12 10:15 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: can't find the answer"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Have you considered using a computer to control the water drop rate, the water drop size, the camera shutter, and the triggering of the flash?

Camer Axe
Valve Sensor Tutorial

George
My Nikonian Galleries

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Thu 24-May-12 03:24 PM
#7. "RE: can't find the answer"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Now what fun would that be??????????? I just enjoy watching all the different drops hit and getting frustrated because I can't click the shutter......!!!!!!!!!!! Actually, I'm thinking along the lines of the stop shot,,,read a little about it..But sometimes I think it would ruin my fun and creativeness....(smile)

Darlene

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 24-May-12 06:39 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: can't find the answer"
In response to Reply # 7

Chicago, US

You might find the solution suggested will allow more creativity as one can control the rate of the drops and the camera shutter delay from the release of the first drop in such a way as to get an image of the second drop hitting the water spout or the crown of the first drop.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251270 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.