Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251264
View in linear mode

Subject: "Battery and world time problem" Previous topic | Next topic
ebroudy Registered since 21st May 2012Mon 21-May-12 08:29 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Battery and world time problem"

US

Every time I change the battery on my D80, the world time reverts or defaults to a 2006 date and time, thus screwing up my dating system in Lightroom.

I'm told it's not supposed to do that. Why is this happening and what can I do about it, short of remembering to reset the date every time I change the battery?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Battery and world time problem
MEMcD Moderator
21st May 2012
ebroudy
21st May 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
23rd May 2012
ebroudy
24th May 2012
MEMcD Moderator
24th May 2012
ebroudy
25th May 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 21-May-12 09:33 PM
25043 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Battery and world time problem"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Eric,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear of your problem.
It sounds like the rechargeable clock battery in your camera needs replacing. The clock battery is not user replaceable so a trip to a Nikon Authorized Service Sration or Nikon Service is required.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

ebroudy Registered since 21st May 2012Mon 21-May-12 09:37 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Battery and world time problem"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Marty. I'll give that a try.
Eric

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Wed 23-May-12 12:49 AM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Battery and world time problem"
In response to Reply # 2

HIXSON, US

Thanks for bringing that up. I have the same problem with my D80.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ebroudy Registered since 21st May 2012Thu 24-May-12 07:32 PM
#4. "RE: Battery and world time problem"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I think I found answer from someelse's posting. Internal clock apparently needs periodic charging from the main battery, which probably isn't "on" long enough to do the job well. The suggestion I tried seemed to work, at least in short term. And that is: Insert a fresh main battery and power up the camera. Let it stay powered up for 2 days straight, i.e. long enought to really give the internal battery a good charge.

After a 2-day charge, the internal battery seems to work fine, not defaulting to 2006 when the battery is removed.

Thank you to whomever suggested this idea!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 24-May-12 09:36 PM
25043 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Battery and world time problem"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Eric,

Keeping a charged battery in the camera should be enough to charge the. Lock battery. The camera doesn't have to be powered on for the clock battery to charge. Two days of charging should power the clock for about one month. See page 103 of the D80 Users Manual.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

ebroudy Registered since 21st May 2012Fri 25-May-12 01:47 AM
#6. "RE: Battery and world time problem"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Marty,

I agree that one shouldn't have to keep the D80 powered on to charge the clock battery. But then what am I to conclude from the fact that the clock battery appeared dead and each time I changed the main battery the clock defaulted to 2006? This has been the case for some time. But when I left the camera powered on for 2 days, that procedure appeared to finally charge the internal battery again. Yes, page 103 of the manual does state that 2 days of charging should power the internal clock for about a month, but how does that occur if not by keeping the camera powered on? It certainly wasn't happening with the camera powered off.

Perhaps I'm not understanding something pretty basic here.

Many thanks if you have the answer to this conundrum.

Eric

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251264 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.