nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251240
View in linear mode

Subject: "Good semi-pro level camera" Previous topic | Next topic
OldNavy609 Registered since 07th Feb 2012Sat 19-May-12 04:46 AM
383 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Good semi-pro level camera"

Albuquerque, US

I am a fan of film photography and love my Nikons. (I have just about all of the one's that are considered top of the line. Starting with two FM2's, FE2, FA, an N90, N90s, F4s and F5. The only digital camera I own is an Olympus Evolt E510, but I use Nikkor lenses with an adaptor. The only reason I don't really care for it is the darned thing doesn't like using shoe mounted flash and, frankly, the built-in flash sucks. What would you recommend as a good Nikon digital that wouldn't break my bank. Looking for a good pixel count and reliable flash mode.

Like I said, I love film, but there are times when a good digital camera would be indispensable.

Thanks for your advice/help in advance.

Good shooting,
Lee

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Good semi-pro level camera
CharlieS
19th May 2012
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
19th May 2012
OldNavy609
19th May 2012
19th May 2012
OldNavy609
19th May 2012
20th May 2012
Enthus_Photo
21st May 2012
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
20th May 2012
OldNavy609
20th May 2012

CharlieS Registered since 29th Aug 2007Sat 19-May-12 01:02 PM
1729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Good semi-pro level camera"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Could be anything from a D40 to a D4. It all depends on what and how you shoot.
Do you shoot sports needing alot of frames per second? Clean high ISO performance? Wildlife where the 1.5x crop factor of DX would be an advantage?
Without knowing more its pretty tough to make a recommendation, though for general use, a D90 or D300(S) would be hard to beat. Even going back a generation to the D80 if you don't need the high iso performance of some of the other models.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 19-May-12 01:59 PM
26990 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Good semi-pro level camera"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 19-May-12 02:02 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi Lee,

Since you want to use a Speedlight, keep in mind that DSLR's use a different TTL flash control system (D-TTL-D1 Series and D100, i-TTL All Nikon DSLR's from the D2 Series and D70 to present) that is not compatible with Film SLR's. So you will need to add a new Speedlight to your kit as well. The discontinued i-TTL SB-600 and SB-800 Speedlights are backwards compatible to both D-TTL and Film TTL flash control. The SB-700, SB-900, and SB-910 are not backwards compatible.

Tell us more:
Do you have a specific budget in mind?
New or used?
The D200,D300,D300s,D700, and even the D7000 are all Pro/Semi-Pro bodies.
Good luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

OldNavy609 Registered since 07th Feb 2012Sat 19-May-12 03:05 PM
383 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Good semi-pro level camera"
In response to Reply # 2

Albuquerque, US

Regarding budget: a good used camera would be great in the range of $400 to $500 is what I had in mind. Thanks for the information.
Lee

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 19-May-12 05:06 PM
26990 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Good semi-pro level camera"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Lee,

Used D200's are selling in the 400.00-$500.00 range.
As long as you don't shoot at high ISO settings the D200 is an excellent and very capable body. Mine continues to serve me well.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

OldNavy609 Registered since 07th Feb 2012Sat 19-May-12 05:45 PM
#5. "RE: Good semi-pro level camera"
In response to Reply # 4

Albuquerque, US

Thanks, Marty. I appreciate the information. I'll keep my eye out for one. Currently bidding on an F100. If that falls through, it'll free up some cash.

Good shooting,
Lee

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 20-May-12 07:29 PM
#8. "RE: Good semi-pro level camera"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Lee,

I am sure you will like the F100 as much as I do.
As a bonus, the D200,D300,D300s, and even the D700 and D800 have the same "feel" and very similar layout as the F100.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Enthus_Photo Registered since 16th May 2012Mon 21-May-12 01:10 AM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Good semi-pro level camera"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Lee - hello from another guy named Lee!

Here's the big question - what lenses do you have? If you've got manual-focus AI/AIS lenses, you should research whether the body you are looking at will meter with the MF lenses.

If you've got the later AF/AF-D/AF-S lenses, you'll have no issues with something like a D90. You could also consider a D300, which seems to have crept down in the ~$650 range and is a pretty darn amazing deal at that money, which is about a $100 premium over the D90 (which has a couple things going for it over the D300, too).

I'm waiting for the successor to the D300s (which I'm hoping is the D400 pro-DX and not the D600 prosumer FX), and will sell my D90 to fund that, whenever that is...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Visit my blog: enthusiastphotographer.com

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Sun 20-May-12 04:20 AM
886 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Good semi-pro level camera"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 20-May-12 04:22 AM by ShrimpBoy

Brighton and Hove, UK

Lee, in case you might be tempted by a more consumer model camera, I'm selling a D90 right now that's in your budget range. 12 megapixels, commander mode for flash (some D90 flash info here), good image quality up to ISO 1600 and very usable ISO 3200 and even 6400 if you shoot RAW. It's a great little camera. I had no reason to replace it but couldn't resist a good deal on a D7000.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

OldNavy609 Registered since 07th Feb 2012Sun 20-May-12 06:15 AM
#7. "RE: Good semi-pro level camera"
In response to Reply # 6

Albuquerque, US

Gary,
I'll keep that in mind. It will be a couple months, (best guess August or September) before I'll be able to afford it. If you get the chance to sell it to someone else sooner, do so. Just let me know so that I'll start looking again. Thanks for the information.

Good shooting,
Lee

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251240 Previous topic | Next topic