Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251219
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 and a bad GPS port" Previous topic | Next topic
kelmon Silver Member Nikonian since 28th May 2010Thu 17-May-12 02:18 PM
145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 and a bad GPS port"

sunriver, US

Well, I thought that I was having problems with third party shutter release systems (http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=150&topic_id=251134&mesg_id=251134&page=)

But, I think that I have now diagnosed my problem as a faulty GPS port. I bought a Nikon MC-DC2 to try on my D90. And it does not work at all. I then re-tried my 2 third party cords - and nothing.

Has anyone else had issues with a bad GPS port? I searched on the web, and it seems to be a common problem.

For those that had a problem - how did you get it resolved? Nikon Service Center? Or independent authorized repair shop?

What did it cost? And has it stayed fixed?

Thanks,

Marcus

Marcus
Central Oregon Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

pixures Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009Fri 18-May-12 12:36 PM
268 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 and a bad GPS port"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I also have a D90 with a faulty GPS port. And, like you searched the net about this failure and agree it seems to be a common problem. I contacted Nikon support as well as the head of customer service. Nikon denies a problem, hiding behind the belief that since Nikon has not published a service bulletin, therefore no common problem exists. Needless to say, I found their response to be shallow. It's like an ostrich putting its head in the sand and pretending danger is not present.

As I understand it, the main circuit board contains the GPS port as an "appendage" and needs to be replaced. The estimates from a well regarded Nikon authorized repair shop and local repair shops are all in the range of $275-$300.

Perhaps Nikon needs to hear from all owners of Nikon cameras that have faulty GPS ports.

Bill N
www.images-captured.com
"Like" on Facebook
My Nikonians Gallery

kelmon Silver Member Nikonian since 28th May 2010Fri 18-May-12 02:00 PM
145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 and a bad GPS port"
In response to Reply # 1

sunriver, US

Can you tell me exactly who you contacted? I'll do the same.

Thanks,

Marcus

Marcus
Central Oregon Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pixures Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009Sat 19-May-12 01:38 AM
268 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 and a bad GPS port"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Marcus,

I contacted David Dentry. I found his name mentioned on the Nikonians forum when searching for GPS port problems. In my problem summary to his attention, I did include quite a few links to support that the problem originates from faulty design, has been experienced by others, and the problem affects other Nikon camera models in addition to the D90.

Mr. Dentry's response was very disappointing. Will you please let me know if you have better luck?

Thanks

Bill N
www.images-captured.com
"Like" on Facebook
My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251219 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.