Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251217
View in linear mode

Subject: "D80 should i upgrade firmware?" Previous topic | Next topic
eluong Registered since 17th May 2012Thu 17-May-12 08:53 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D80 should i upgrade firmware?"

US

hello - first timer here, I'm currently traveling overseas in Asia and have one week left. Currently on 1.01 firmware. I borrowed a new tamron 18-270 lens to use. During this trip it started giving the DBS problem, really annoying. Didn't have this problem when I tried the lens in the US. Nothing was broken so never upgraded firmware. Do you think I should upgrade and risk having a non functional camera right now? Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D80 should i upgrade firmware?
ericbowles Moderator
17th May 2012
eluong
26th May 2012
MEMcD Moderator
17th May 2012
blw Moderator
18th May 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
26th May 2012

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 17-May-12 12:40 PM
8152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D80 should i upgrade firmware?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Given that you are having a problem and there is a firmware fix that helps deal with that type of issue, I think it is worth a chance.

It is very important that you follow the instructions for the firmware upgrade exactly. You need a fully charged battery before starting. You can download both A&B at the same time, but they must be installed one at a time with reformatting the card in between.
That firmware update has been around a long time and there are no issues with it as long as the instructions are followed.

Going forward, be sure to make sure your firmware is up to date. Normally there are one or two big issues being addressed but a firmware update is the chance to fix little things that are not specified. Think of firmware updates as repairs fixing defective or sub-optimal operating software - just because you have not experienced a problem does not mean you should avoid the update.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

eluong Registered since 17th May 2012Sat 26-May-12 02:36 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D80 should i upgrade firmware?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks everyone. I just got back from my trip. I ended up upgrading the firmware, because I didn't want to miss more shots that were time-dependent. Upgrade went well and it seems to have fully resolved the problem. Occasionally the camera will refuse to focus, and power cycling will help fix it.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 17-May-12 09:55 PM
25017 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D80 should i upgrade firmware?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Eli,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear of your problem.
As long as you install the firmware correctly (follow the directions) the worst possible outcome would be your current problem will continue.
It shouldn't make it any worse and will likely resolve the issue.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 18-May-12 12:45 PM
26302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: D80 should i upgrade firmware?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I dunno. I don't know what "the DBS problem" is, and I don't know what the firmware is intended to address. In general I do NOT upgrade unless I have a specific reason to do so, and I wouldn't do it while "the heat is on" either. From what you are saying it's annoying but seems like it was functional, so I would have left it alone until I got home.

There are lots of things that can go wrong with firmware upgrades, including the introduction of new bugs. The test and qualification cycle for incremental releases such as this are virtually never the equivalent of a new product. While there's also surely less code change, it isn't a given that progress is always monotonically upward.

For example, I never take OS updates for my phone while I'm on the road unless I have a specific liabiity that I just have to fix. I really can't do without my phone. I don't normally take an operating system update on my laptop either - they're among the worst, actually.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sat 26-May-12 11:58 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D80 should i upgrade firmware?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

I always update my firmware. Better t0 have the problem fixed before you encounter it in the field and cannot fix the problem.

Firmware updates are full updates and include all prior updates, but only the current update features are reported.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251217 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.