nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251210
View in linear mode

Subject: "This ones for you Pete!!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Wed 16-May-12 02:02 PM
1424 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"This ones for you Pete!!!!"
Wed 16-May-12 02:04 PM by pasknucklehead

US

Went back to the drawing board on my sharpness of my waterdrops. Think I nailed it quite nicely..What do ya think? I'm happy, I'm happy!!!! Great idea of using the letters on the pencil, that helped me greatly....thankyou to one of my pals on here for that suggestion, and thanks pete for that wonderful drawing,,,hmmmmmmmmmm.See what you guys think...And you know I appreciate all your advice.

Oh no,,it doesn't look as sharp now on here,,,but it does on MY computer,,,so I;m STILL happy..heheheh

Darlene

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: This ones for you Pete!!!!
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
16th May 2012
pasknucklehead Silver Member
17th May 2012
Scotty Silver Member
17th May 2012
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
18th May 2012
greenwing Gold Member
17th May 2012
18th May 2012
elec164 Silver Member
18th May 2012
18th May 2012
elec164 Silver Member
18th May 2012

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 16-May-12 03:47 PM
4884 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: This ones for you Pete!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Very nice! Given the reflections, was that an American flag on the back wall?

If your bigger version looks sharper, I am guessing that you forgot to sharpen this pic after you resized it.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Thu 17-May-12 03:56 AM
1424 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: This ones for you Pete!!!!"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 17-May-12 04:32 AM by pasknucklehead

US

Thanks Joseph, that was indeed the american flag in the background. Actually it wasn't on the wall, it was a small version taped to the back of the baking dish I was using. It took me forever to figure out which way to put it so it would be the right side up when viewing through the water drop. May I ask? do you need to sharpen after you resize? didn't know that if you have to. Let me try another one that looks sharper to me...

Bummer, this is just as fuzzy looking...Okay, what do I use when sharpening, motion blur, gaussian blur, or lens blur? And does it always come up with some of the percentage already applied to it? I have photoshop elements 10. I am going to experiment and put in here a second photo after I sharpen it and see what it looks like...I know I don't need stronger glasses, these photos really do look sharp to me on my computer...

Well, now that certainly looks fake...

we'll see how this one looks. I toned down the slider a bit on the amount. Never played with the sharpening of my pics before...
I give up, I don't know what I'm doing....I thought my drops looked really sharp on my computer screen, now I'm not so sure....

Darlene

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Thu 17-May-12 05:36 AM
4860 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: This ones for you Pete!!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

I like the midle one of the three best; the third is too saturated and over sharpened IMHO!

Nice work Darleen...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 18-May-12 04:56 PM
4884 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: This ones for you Pete!!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

> May I ask? do you need to sharpen after you resize? didn't know
>that if you have to.

>Okay, what do I use
>when sharpening, motion blur, gaussian blur, or lens blur?

As a rule with exceptions, yes, after resizing an image you need to resharpen it. This is commonly referred to as "output sharpening".

When downsizing an image, the amount of sharpening needed for web viewing is very little. My common settings for it are Unsharp Mask @ 0.7 radius, 60 strength, 5 clipping.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Thu 17-May-12 10:10 PM
1303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: This ones for you Pete!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, UK

Darlene, you've excelled yourself with this one. The others are great, too. Seems you're getting the hang of things...

Chris

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Fri 18-May-12 04:54 AM
#5. "RE: This ones for you Pete!!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Yeah, I think the drop came out pretty well with the caveman setup I have been working with. I will eventually learn how to do all this sharpening bit, I was a little frustrated lastnight at my attempt, but will figure it out. Thanks for the compliments my friend. It makes me try even harder...and I need that....smile.

Darlene

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 18-May-12 02:05 PM
2145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: This ones for you Pete!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

WOW, a drop just for me!!! I’m honored!!!

Very creative with the flag reflection Darlene, a wonderful patriotic shot.

I agree with Joseph that if the original file is sharper on your monitor, then it’s more than likely a lack of sharpening after resampling.

Depending on what sharpening method you use, many of them work by increasing edge contrast. When you resample an image you are destroying that edge contrast and need to redo it.

I adopted more or less the three step sharpening routine when dealing with NEF’s. You start with a minimal amount of capture sharpening to offset the softness introduced by the AA filter and Bayer Filter Interpolation. Second round would be creative sharpening to selective areas as needed. The third and last is output sharpening and would depend on the output size in pixels and intended use. For example the amount of sharpening you would use for posting would be insufficient for printing on glossy paper with an inkjet printer. And the amount of sharpening for glossy paper on an inkjet would be insufficient for sharpening when printing to matte paper. That last round of sharpening is often left out until you purpose the file for output, this way you leave a master file with the first two steps and can repurpose the output sharpening as needed at the time. For example with these shots you would do the first two steps as needed, then for posting you need to down-sample the file to required size. After the resampling you would then sharpen to taste before saving for posting.

With my drop images I opened them in LR3 with the standard amount of 25 sharpening, making my adjustments as needed in the develop module and then handing a TIFF off to Photoshop CS3. I then did a resampling to posting pixel size, a High Pass sharpening layer, then flattened the layers and did a Smart Sharpen for final output.

Unfortunately Sharpening routines are more art than science. There are no hard fast rules to apply, just guidelines. If you want a good read on sharpening, I found ‘Real World Image Sharpening’ by Fraser and Schewe very helpful. They go out of their way to make sure it’s understood that there are no hard fast rules. They give examples and explanations of their workflows with the caveat “trust us”; explaining that their routines were achieved through empirical data from rigorous experimentation. And remember each round of sharpening is accumulative, so it’s easy to overdo it.

Keep up the good work, it’s inspiring.

Pete

Pete

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Fri 18-May-12 04:11 PM
#7. "RE: This ones for you Pete!!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

US

You're waaaaayyyyyyyy too advanced for me pete!!! but I will check out that book and do some studying. I guess I just never realized that after you resize the picture doesn't look quite as crisp as you first saw it straight from the camera. I will have to learn that one. Thanks Pete for that very in dept explaination which sounds like Greek to me,,,,hehehehe. But I WILL learn it...because I'm learning from the best,,you guys...Look for a new post of why I'm doing these waterdrops...I think you all will be impressed!!!!!!!!!

Darlene

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 18-May-12 04:37 PM
2145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: This ones for you Pete!!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

US

>You're waaaaayyyyyyyy too advanced for me pete!!
>Thanks Pete for that very in
>dept explaination which sounds like Greek to me,,,,hehehehe.

If you think my rudimentary explanation sounds like Greek, wait till you check out the book!!! LOL

The edition I have is a 345 page book "JUST" on Sharpening Techniques for Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw and Lightroom.

As to resizing, I believe you are using PS Elements correct? When you resize the default algorithm is Bicubic which is a good all purpose algorithm for digital imaging. If you click on the arrow to the right of Bicubic, you will get a drop down menu of choices. Again this goes to preferences in workflow, but I find Bicubic Sharper does a good job of down-sampling with a minimal need for further re-sharpening afterward. On the other hand some people use Bicubic Smoother for both up or down-sampling.

It will take some time and experimentation on your part to decide what works best for you.

Can’t wait to see why you are doing this!!

Pete

Pete

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251210 Previous topic | Next topic