nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251142
View in linear mode

Subject: "big moon weekend" Previous topic | Next topic
LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Tue 08-May-12 09:43 PM
1687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"big moon weekend"

Spartanburg, US

Well, there I was....on the water's edge, 400mm Tokina lens, fully-charged D90, old but rock-steady tripod, ready to shoot the moon this past weekend when it rose in all its glory. However, the clouds that lined the horizon destroyed my opportunity to shoot a breathtaking moonrise.

I stuck around to shoot the moon later as it finally rose above the cloud line and created this composite. Enjoy!

Someday I'll catch that breathtaking moonrise.

LL49Wat

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: big moon weekend
Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot
08th May 2012
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
09th May 2012
HHargitt Silver Member
10th May 2012
LL49Wat
10th May 2012
HHargitt Silver Member
10th May 2012
LL49Wat
11th May 2012
HHargitt Silver Member
11th May 2012
LL49Wat
11th May 2012
DBarnes Silver Member
14th May 2012
LL49Wat
14th May 2012

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Tue 08-May-12 10:06 PM
52420 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: big moon weekend"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Great image

Very well done.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 09-May-12 06:09 PM
26974 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: big moon weekend"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Lynn,

Wonderful image.
Very well done.
Thanks for sharing.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

HHargitt Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2010Thu 10-May-12 06:43 AM
513 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: big moon weekend"
In response to Reply # 0

Maple Ridge, CA

I feel you pain, I wound up jumping in the car, picking up a buddy for a road trip. A thermos of coffee and 250km later I managed to loose the clouds in a mountain pass and get this shot. Not quite the low moon rising between a couple of mountains with reflections in a calm lake that I had hoped for... ah well there's always the full moon in June, perigee and the full moon are only one day apart.

Happy shooting,

Howard

Will shoot for fame...fun...food... a heck I'll shoot anytime anywhere.

LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Thu 10-May-12 02:02 PM
1687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: big moon weekend"
In response to Reply # 3

Spartanburg, US

I like your shot. I notice that the "button", the impact crater on the bottom of your picture has rotated clockwise from its location in my shot. Didn't realize that the moon would look different depending on your personal location.

It's always good to learn!
LL49Wat

HHargitt Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2010Thu 10-May-12 09:12 PM
513 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: big moon weekend"
In response to Reply # 4

Maple Ridge, CA

My shot is just ok, I like yours better... way more creative.

I have an on going project for a landscape of a lake that I am trying to shoot with, a moon rising between two mountains, reflection of mountains and moon on lake in the bottom of the valley... all I need is a cloudless night when the sunset and moonrise are offset by an hour or less and NO CLOUDS...lol I'm starting to see how some people learn to love Photoshop!

Happy shooting,

Howard

LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Fri 11-May-12 03:01 AM
#6. "RE: big moon weekend"
In response to Reply # 5

Spartanburg, US

Hang in there--you will get your shot! When you do, it sounds as if it will be beautiful, almost surreal.

As for Photoshop...it is a good way to exercise creativity and enhance a picture. I'm still learning how to use Photoshop to enhance my pictures and help fix some problems. But this image was actually done using Powerpoint for Mac. I just imported the various pictures of the moon, and then saved the final product as a jpeg file. I used Powerpoint instead of Photoshop because I'm not good at using layers in Photoshop yet.

I am still playing with the placement of the different moons, trying to come up with the perfect arrangement.

LL49Wat

HHargitt Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2010Fri 11-May-12 07:13 AM
#7. "RE: big moon weekend"
In response to Reply # 6

Maple Ridge, CA

Thanks for the encouragement, the scene is on a route that I frequently ride my motorcycle on. I have seen both halves of the shot and when I explained to a friend that's into astro-photography, he checked it out and discovered that there was a window every few full moons when the whole scene will be visible at once. Now all I have to do is learn an anti-rain dance to get rid of the clouds!

Happy shooting,

Howard

LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Fri 11-May-12 02:40 PM
#8. "RE: big moon weekend"
In response to Reply # 7

Spartanburg, US

It's something to aspire to!
LL49Wat

DBarnes Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Oct 2008Mon 14-May-12 03:37 AM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: big moon weekend"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Great to see you photos! Love making the moon photos!
Sorry, I'm a little late to the "Super Moon" party, but I just got back from a great Photo Workshop in Utah (with Rod Planck... shameless plug). We were making photos out at the Burr Trail lookout in the Capital Reef National Park. Had about 3 minutes to make this one and then the moon escaped behind the clouds. But, we did have fun while it lasted!
Dave

http://fullframedreams.smugmug.com/

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Mon 14-May-12 08:16 PM
#10. "RE: big moon weekend"
In response to Reply # 9

Spartanburg, US

I like it, especially because you can see a bit of the landscape. The touch of clouds adds to the picture, I think.

LL49Wat

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251142 Previous topic | Next topic