nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251104
View in linear mode

Subject: "Does the D80 exist in anyones bag?" Previous topic | Next topic
fmurphy   Umbarger, US  Registered since 29th Jul 2006 Wed 02-May-12 02:53 PM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Does the D80 exist in anyones bag?"

I notice a lot of threads about the D70 over time but not too many on the D80. Is anyone still using it and what do you think about it? I have one and probably don't use it as much as I should. I purchased it new a few yrs ago and it only has 3,845 clicks takes wonderful photos. I normally just grab the D90 when I go out......
Just curious.......
Thanks for any input

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Does the D80 exist in anyones bag? spanglerokapi Silver Member
02nd May 2012
Reply message RE: Does the D80 exist in anyones bag? gdhawkins Silver Member
02nd May 2012
Reply message RE: Does the D80 exist in anyones bag? Wapusk Silver Member
03rd May 2012
Reply message RE: Does the D80 exist in anyones bag? CharlieS
03rd May 2012
Reply message RE: Does the D80 exist in anyones bag? micaelak Silver Member
03rd May 2012
Reply message RE: Does the D80 exist in anyones bag? WD4MLA Silver Member
03rd May 2012
Reply message RE: Does the D80 exist in anyones bag? fmurphy
03rd May 2012
     Reply message RE: Does the D80 exist in anyones bag? TheGreatMike
03rd May 2012
          Reply message RE: Does the D80 exist in anyones bag? flyboy54
06th May 2012
Reply message RE: Does the D80 exist in anyones bag? beachwalker Silver Member
08th May 2012

spanglerokapi Silver Member  Aylesbury, UK  Nikonian since 22nd May 2008 Wed 02-May-12 05:30 PM
114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Does the D80 exist in anyones bag?"
In response to Reply # 0

I bought one as a second body and use it primarily with my Sigma 105 macro and R1 macro Speedlight kit. My prime camera is a D200 which I was persuaded to buy by my daughter so she could have my D50. Having parted with the D50 I realised I missed it and hence purchased the D80 which seemed the nearest equivalent as the new entry level Nikons didn't have the inbuilt focus motor for my older lenses and I had the added bonus of CLS compatibility for the SB200 Speedlights. As the D80 was lighter it became my "travel" camera until I went over to M4/3 so now it isn't used as much. The only problem I have with it is that for some reason it seems more susceptible to dust bunnies than the D200.

Andrew

gdhawkins Silver Member  Reading, UK  Nikonian since 04th Jun 2006 Wed 02-May-12 07:51 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Does the D80 exist in anyones bag?"
In response to Reply # 0

I still have one which I use as a second body. It has 10k clicks so still has plenty of life left in it. It was my second DLSR after a long absence from photography. I find it useful often to have a second body to save changing lenses. If I could I would prefer two D7000 bodies as the differences in controls and performance are significant but... One day NAS may get the better of me!

Geoff

Geoff

Wapusk Silver Member  Brantford, CA  Nikonian since 05th Sep 2007 Thu 03-May-12 05:11 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Does the D80 exist in anyones bag?"
In response to Reply # 2

I have two. One has a SIGMA 10 - 20 and the other sits waiting for assignment. Mostly I prefer my D7000 and would like to have another. But I can't replace a body unless it dies.

CharlieS   US  Registered since 29th Aug 2007 Thu 03-May-12 12:04 AM
1729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Does the D80 exist in anyones bag?"
In response to Reply # 0

I started with a D80, then moved up to a D300 thus religating the D80 as a backup body. Finally bit the bullet and went with a D700, allowing the mrs. to move up to the D80 and getting rid of her D40.

The controls are close enough on all 3 bodies theres not alot of hunting and searching to change settings when needed and by going with the 700/300 combination I get the best of both worlds. D700 low light performance when it's needed, and crop factor in the D300.

micaelak Silver Member  Ravenna, US  Nikonian since 08th Aug 2009 Thu 03-May-12 01:00 AM
470 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Does the D80 exist in anyones bag?"
In response to Reply # 0

The D80 was my first digital body and I still have it but it does not get the use it deserves. I got a D300s and now it does not see much use as I have a D5000 and D2H also. I have debated on selling it while it still has some value or if my son gets more interest in photography I will give it to him.

WD4MLA Silver Member  Sylva, US  Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002 Thu 03-May-12 01:56 PM
928 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Does the D80 exist in anyones bag?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes, I have used mine for years and and it is still my only digital camera. My work has been published in newspapers, magazines, brochures, calanders, TV, online, so it has served me well. I am not a pro, photography is just a hobby so I have not upgraded it. I am more of a purchase due to need person and as long as the D80 is giving me the results I am looking for, I have no plans to retire it.

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

fmurphy   Umbarger, US  Registered since 29th Jul 2006 Thu 03-May-12 05:24 PM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Does the D80 exist in anyones bag?"
In response to Reply # 5

I really appreciate everyones input. I was thinking of selling mine for an upgrade but think I'll keep it now. May just have to upgrade and keep em all........... decision decisions hmmmmmmmmm

TheGreatMike   beverly hills, US  Registered since 17th Jul 2007 Thu 03-May-12 11:51 PM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Does the D80 exist in anyones bag?"
In response to Reply # 7

The D80 was my first digital body but I gave it to my Daughter when I got the D90 ,she uses it alot.

MikeF

flyboy54   Edenton, US  Registered since 20th May 2008 Sun 06-May-12 05:00 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Does the D80 exist in anyones bag?"
In response to Reply # 8

I've used mine regularly for the last 4 years for a variety of projects. So far it has only had one trip for service when the metering unit failed a couple of years ago. I used it an airshow yesterday. I am considering upgrading but plan to keep it for a backup.

beachwalker Silver Member  Concord, US  Nikonian since 31st May 2003 Tue 08-May-12 12:50 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Does the D80 exist in anyones bag?"
In response to Reply # 0

It was my first digital camera and has served me well. I picked up a D90 not long before it was replaced, so now have two excellent cameras and a bad case of NAS... The D80 is my prime 'street' camera (with a 20mm Nikkor). It does everything I expect it to do - it's well trained - or I have become well used to it. Having a sophisticated digital extension of my arm and eye is a treat that I'll not give up soon.

“There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept.”
— Ansel Adams

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251104 Previous topic | Next topic