nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251060
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 Autofocus" Previous topic | Next topic
kwackersnapper Registered since 17th Apr 2012Tue 17-Apr-12 08:37 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 Autofocus"

UK

Hi Guys im new here and after to sort a situation with my D90, i take mainly off road bike shots and for an example if i take a pic of a bike coming towards me say jumping with filled background such as trees, it has a problem autofocus and often its the trees in focus, if however the background is clear such as sky its fine, i also own D200 & D50 and never have a problem with these cameras in this situation, does the D90 have different autofocus, i know in video mode it uses contrast detection, in all other circumstances the autofocus works perfect, i have checked all the settings several times and dont beleive this to be the problem, many thanks in anticipation

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D90 Autofocus
OnTERRYo Silver Member
17th Apr 2012
kwackersnapper
17th Apr 2012
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
19th Apr 2012
kwackersnapper
19th Apr 2012
HenkB Silver Member
20th Apr 2012
kwackersnapper
20th Apr 2012
kwackersnapper
20th Apr 2012
Joseph Bautsch
20th Apr 2012
kwackersnapper
21st Apr 2012
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
22nd Apr 2012
kwackersnapper
22nd Apr 2012
kwackersnapper
22nd Apr 2012
23rd Apr 2012
kwackersnapper
23rd Apr 2012

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Tue 17-Apr-12 09:37 PM
531 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 Autofocus"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 17-Apr-12 09:41 PM by OnTERRYo

Hamilton, CA

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the Nikonians website.

I have some experience with taking bike shots; it's not easy.

If that happened to me, I would try:
- making a decision on where the riders were coming toward you.
- to position yourself to get the shot you want.
- to find a fixed object like a tree and focus on that.
(if nothing there, you could drop a hat or backback or something)
- to then lock the focus on that object.
- when the rider is next the tree, take the image.
It should work.
And, watch out for flying mud

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

kwackersnapper Registered since 17th Apr 2012Tue 17-Apr-12 10:18 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 Autofocus"
In response to Reply # 1

UK

thanks for the reply, but i was mainly concerned as to why this camera does it and not the others

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 19-Apr-12 03:50 PM
4910 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 Autofocus"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Given the age difference I would expect the D90 to have a better AF system than the D200.

Objects moving directly towards the camera are the hardest to focus track on. What were the focus settings you were using?

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

kwackersnapper Registered since 17th Apr 2012Thu 19-Apr-12 07:21 PM
#4. "RE: D90 Autofocus"
In response to Reply # 3

UK

CAF, matrix metering,centre point focus(normal zone), hope this is enough info, thanks Nick

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Fri 20-Apr-12 02:08 AM
541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D90 Autofocus"
In response to Reply # 4

Wayland, US

The D90 and D200 seem to share large parts of the same AF module, CAM1000. But the D90 adds a 3D-tracking option (custom setting a1). If they are still available to you, it might be worthwhile investigating what the settings you used were that rendered the D200 and D50 (5-point AF) compatible with your mode of shooting. Presumably, the D90 should be capable of that, too but not necessarily using the most advanced mode. The settings you report using do not include any options from a1. If you have a1 set to auto (which the manual claims is the default, p.56), you have virtually no control over which focus points are used. Custom setting a2 only chooses the area considered for the center focus point - it does not lock the AF to the center (or any other) point, that's the job of the lever directly under the multi-selector.

Other settings might get in the way as well. How do you initiate focus - shutter button or AE-L/AF-L button? Do you lock focus?

Best,

Hendrik

kwackersnapper Registered since 17th Apr 2012Fri 20-Apr-12 05:19 AM
#6. "RE: D90 Autofocus"
In response to Reply # 5

UK

thanks will investigate later, certainly this could be the problem,use shutter button focus and never use focus lock, i assumed a1 settings are automatically used, thanks for the info

kwackersnapper Registered since 17th Apr 2012Fri 20-Apr-12 06:18 PM
#7. "RE: D90 Autofocus"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 20-Apr-12 06:20 PM by kwackersnapper

UK

just been out photographing kitesurfers, locked focus on centre point, same old problem main subject out of focus background in focus, think its definately a camera fault now

Joseph Bautsch Registered since 15th Oct 2009Fri 20-Apr-12 11:41 PM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D90 Autofocus"
In response to Reply # 7

Marietta, US

Try turning off the continuos AF. I tried using the CAF and never could get it to work like I wanted it to. With CAF and a fast moving subject, if you don't hold the focus point long enough for the camera to "lock on" the camera will continue to try and focus even as you take the shot. As has been recommended use a spot focus method. Pre-focus the camera to the area where you expect the best action to be and then take the shot.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kwackersnapper Registered since 17th Apr 2012Sat 21-Apr-12 08:34 PM
#9. "RE: D90 Autofocus"
In response to Reply # 8

UK

not easy to use manual focus when taking kitesurfers for example, what confuses me is the D200 & D50 both cope with this situation, so is the D90 faulty of does it use different autfocus, the manual even says af would be difficult in the scenario im describing

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 22-Apr-12 07:46 PM
4910 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D90 Autofocus"
In response to Reply # 9

Seattle, WA, US

Some example photos might help us diagnose the problem.

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

kwackersnapper Registered since 17th Apr 2012Sun 22-Apr-12 08:35 PM
#11. "RE: D90 Autofocus"
In response to Reply # 10

UK

hi new here, could you please explain how to post pics as i have a good example

kwackersnapper Registered since 17th Apr 2012Sun 22-Apr-12 08:42 PM
#12. "RE: D90 Autofocus"
In response to Reply # 11

UK

have now posted a pic in my gallery, it is probably an extreme example but its gives you an idea of the problem

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 23-Apr-12 03:44 PM
#13. "RE: D90 Autofocus"
In response to Reply # 12

Seattle, WA, US

In this case it look like a simple case of a missed focus by the subject moving off the chosen focus point. You were already in AF-C mode. For this kind of shot I would probably go with dynamic-area mode instead of single-point. You might also try out the wide vs narrow center point option.

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

kwackersnapper Registered since 17th Apr 2012Mon 23-Apr-12 07:28 PM
#14. "RE: D90 Autofocus"
In response to Reply # 13

UK

subject was bang on the focus point and and single spot was set on narrow point available

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251060 Previous topic | Next topic