Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251054
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 fill flash" Previous topic | Next topic
d9018200 Registered since 14th Apr 2012Sat 14-Apr-12 11:36 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 fill flash"
Sat 14-Apr-12 11:38 PM by d9018200

US

It is not clear to me in any of the books I have read nor in the d90 instruction manual exactly how you implement Fill flash. I wish to do so in brightly lit or shaded portraits.

Another interesting problem I have encountered is trying to shoot pictures in very dark situations. The flash may pop up and allow 1 picture to be taken but then I cannot take nay more. the camera refuses to function any further. quite frustrating. Any ideas??

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Sun 15-Apr-12 01:27 AM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 fill flash"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 15-Apr-12 01:30 AM by OnTERRYo

Hamilton, CA

Hi Carlo,
Welcome to Nikonians.

>It is not clear to me in any of the books I have read nor in
>the d90 instruction manual exactly how you implement Fill
>flash. I wish to do so in brightly lit or shaded portraits.
I do not know the answer but these may help.
a/ more than once, the D90 manual has advisories for using nonCPU lenses and effective flash use.
b/ then there is the distance (range) caution. Page 265.
c/ the "Nikon D90 Digital Field Guide" (J. Dennis Thomas) nicely describes the fill flash in three steps on pages 156 to 158.
d/ I played with my D90:
menu, e (bracketing flash), e2 switch to manual, then experiment with the values 1/1.3 to 1/128. I bet there is one in there to suit your needs.

>Another interesting problem I have encountered is trying to
>shoot pictures in very dark situations. The flash may pop up
>and allow 1 picture to be taken but then I cannot take nay
>more. the camera refuses to function any further. quite
>frustrating. Any ideas??
The only thing I came up with is from the D90 manual. Page 73 says "The shutter release may..." - it might be what you are talking about.

Good luck - I hope this helps.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Fri 11-May-12 07:22 AM
2530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 fill flash"
In response to Reply # 1

Vantaa, FI

Regarding the apparent lock-up, any chance that you may have rear curtain sync on? Rear curtain sync has the effect that movement blur appears behind the moving object (with front curtain sync the movement blur is before the moving object). A problem with rear curtain sync is that if there's not enough light for the exposure to complete without flash, the camera waits forever (or maybe 30s) and the flash won't fire.

Regards, Antero

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Mon 16-Apr-12 03:29 AM
1288 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 fill flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Fill Flash - depends on what flash you are using. The builtin flash will basically 'fill' if popped up in one of the P/A/S modes and the scene is bright enough to 'not need flash'. External Nikon flash units will also do this, but in addition have a TTL-BL (Balanced Fill) that is designed to do a better job of this.

Basically the Nikon CLS (Creative Lighting System) looks after things for you. If you want more control, both the Camera and the Flash can be operated in manual modes.

Re your other question, the camera will not fire if it cannot find focus (assuming auto-focus is being used) -- this is most likely the problem you are seeing.

----
Dennis Smith.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251054 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.