Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251048
View in linear mode

Subject: "One of a kind post!" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Fri 13-Apr-12 05:47 PM
1402 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"One of a kind post!"

creekside, US

Hi everyone, conowingo proved to be frustrating once again, but had a good time trying to get a photo of a bald eagle. But hey, not to worry, got a whole card full of VULTURES! Now they're all my friends Hey, I want to take a poll. Here's the scenerio: I'm standing along the fence with my little 70-300 and snapping away as usual. I smile as the guys with the longer lens look at me and smile. All is well. At the end of the day, I was packing up my stuff to leave and I noticed two photographers a little ways from me, one still having his large lens mounted on his tripod, however he was sitting with another photographer and just chatting. I have always wanted to just look through a large lens like that but never really had the courage to say, "hey, can I look through your lens".
Well, I decided this was going to be the day that I took the plunge, gathered up some courage and JUST ASK! So I strolled over to them, introduced myself and my camera and my wee little 70-300 lens and asked if it would be possible if I could look through a real PROFESSIONAL lens as I never have. The man was pretty tall because I saw him before he sat down and he said sure but you probably won't be able to reach it...And he still sat..... and sat....and sat.... Even on my tippy toes, I could not see into his camera. After a bit, I felt a little embarassed because he made no attemt whatsoever to get up and lower the camera for me to see through it. So I just smiled and said "well thanks anyway, I guess I'm just not tall enough" and I humblely ventured over to my car. You know, I could have understood if he was standing there with his camera, had something really set on his focusing and did'n't want to move it, that would have been okay. But I know full well that wasn't the case.
I felt funny as I left and thought, "well, maybe asking to see through his camera was out of line and I just shouldn't have. But then I also thought, "wait a minute" aren't we all fellow photographers and it wouldn't have hurt him to lower that for me for just a minute. It sure would have made my day...But anyway, after feeling defeated, I just left and tried not to think of it the rest of the day. But I just kind of wanted you guys take on this..was I out of line? Thanks friends...

Darlene

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: One of a kind post!
IdahoBaird
13th Apr 2012
mklass Platinum Member
13th Apr 2012
kentak Silver Member
14th Apr 2012
francine Silver Member
15th Apr 2012
pasknucklehead Silver Member
18th Apr 2012
Petersko
22nd Apr 2012
nrothschild Silver Member
22nd Apr 2012
25th Apr 2012
drdave1200 Silver Member
26th Apr 2012
Scotty Silver Member
29th Apr 2012
km6xz Moderator
10th May 2012
11th May 2012
Liu Kang
15th May 2012

IdahoBaird Registered since 25th Jan 2012Fri 13-Apr-12 06:40 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: One of a kind post!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The way I read your description of how it all went down, the guy was an inconsiderate a-hole and an embarrassment to his mother. If you approached him as cordially as you say, he should have gotten up and walked over to his camera with you then adjusted the height so you could see. Then, he should have offered to let you swap his card for yours so you could take a few pix. You could leave with your card and a nice souvenir of the encounter. Instead, he was just an a-hole and I hope he gets chigger bites.

Daryl in Idaho

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 13-Apr-12 07:55 PM
5814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: One of a kind post!"
In response to Reply # 1

Tacoma, US

I don't think I can say it any better than that!

Sorry you had a bad experience, but I don't think it was your behavior that caused it.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sat 14-Apr-12 02:18 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: One of a kind post!"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>The way I read your description of how it all went down, the
>guy was an inconsiderate a-hole and an embarrassment to his
>mother. If you approached him as cordially as you say, he
>should have gotten up and walked over to his camera with you
>then adjusted the height so you could see. Then, he should
>have offered to let you swap his card for yours so you could
>take a few pix. You could leave with your card and a nice
>souvenir of the encounter. Instead, he was just an a-hole and
>I hope he gets chigger bites.
>
>Daryl in Idaho

And, I hope a flock of geese poop on his rig.

Kent

francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Sun 15-Apr-12 12:27 AM
845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: One of a kind post!"
In response to Reply # 3

Monroe, US

Most photographers would be proud to show you their camera & lens.

Most people just love to show off their stuff anytime. Dont stop asking people questions in the field. It is a big help and most people dont mind.

As for chigger bites, I got about 40 bites on each leg in Michigan and a year latter still have the scars. so thats out, but I like the idea of bird poop on his head.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Wed 18-Apr-12 02:17 AM
1402 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: One of a kind post!"
In response to Reply # 4

creekside, US

Now now my friends, I know you all love me, but we must be nice. Maybe that guy dropped his lens when he left for home that night!!! heheheheh I know if it had been any of you guys on here, you would have given me a boost up to see through the lens, I have no doubt about that.

Darlene

Petersko Registered since 07th Aug 2009Sun 22-Apr-12 03:53 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: One of a kind post!"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

In honesty, I might not have allowed a stranger near my expensive glass either. But he should have been more polite in refusal.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sun 22-Apr-12 09:10 PM
10907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: One of a kind post!"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 22-Apr-12 09:16 PM by nrothschild

US

Hi Darlene,

I shoot at Conowingo but usually only the fall migration. I would have been happy to lower my tripod a few inches to let you look.

I even let non-photographers look through my lens when there is something interesting to see and it makes for a convenient spotting scope.

I would hope your experience was atypical. You probably had the luck of a bad draw. Most serious photographers I've met are very friendly and open.

Some people with long heavy lenses (usually a 600/4) fear their glass. They are afraid that if they look at it wrong it may spontaneously fall over or otherwise get damaged or destroyed. There is a certain skill required to shorten a tripod, in particular with a 600/4 on top, because it is possible to get out of control and end badly. That may have had something to do with it, especially if he is a new owner.

Edit: to get to the core of your post, regardless of how I might handle it, no, I don't think your request was a breach of etiquette. Especially at Conowingo where, after the turbines shut down there is nothing to do except either leave or talk about gear and the bird I shot and the bird that got away...

my Nikonians gallery.

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Wed 25-Apr-12 02:30 AM
#8. "RE: One of a kind post!"
In response to Reply # 7

creekside, US

Well, maybe that was it, maybe he didn't want to touch it for fear he'd mess it up or something, I'd like to believe that. Cause, I'm with you, most photographers that I have ever encountered usually are more than willing to show you their cameras, lens, and you the same. We all have a lot in common discussing a lot of things but it boils down to one thing, our love of our hobbies, or profession. I won't let one disappointment deter me away from getting the courage up again someday and ask again...I know if I had that camera and equipment, I would have been flattered...

Darlene

drdave1200 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Thu 26-Apr-12 06:21 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: One of a kind post!"
In response to Reply # 7

Englewood, US

Chalk it up to poor social skills. I had my 150-500 Sigma set up on a tripod overlooking the harbor in San Diego, and a submarine was being towed into port. There was a line as I let folks look through the viewfinder. I did stand next to it and hold the tripod.

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Sun 29-Apr-12 01:48 AM
4816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: One of a kind post!"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

A grade 1 a**h**e - not a pro at all just too much money and likes to swagger with his gear. Was it a Canon? Ignore idiots like that Darleene - they give photographers a bad name...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 10-May-12 08:07 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: One of a kind post!"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Hi Darlene. we have not talked much lately but I can see you are progressing well. You did nothing wrong or inappropriate but we also do not know what was on his mind or if engrossed in conversation. He might have been a Canon owner intimidated by your Nikon gear;>)
But keep making contacts randomly, most of the good fortune, interesting experiences and financial reward I've met came about from meeting someone new who opened a door or possibilities.
Being interactive with people is the MAIN benefit of my photography, most of my non-photography friends I have met in the last 3 years came from some connection to a chance meeting somewhat related to my photography.
Speaking of nice lenses, a fellow Nikonian Peter Becket let me take shots with his 400 2.8, D4 and V1 after feed me and also fellow Nikonian Roger Martin a great home cooked lunch. Roger brought his D800 so I got a chance to see what the excitement is all about. I just bought a new 24-70 2.8 Nikon and was able to test it on their camera since my D7000 was in being calibrated...get it back tomorrow. Sunday morning is my big camera day, bought a D800 yesterday and I pick it up from Best Buy at 10.
The 400 2.8 is a marvel and a beast but I was able to get a few shots handheld before retreating to a HD carbon fiber tripod, Tied the V1, with adapter for F mount on the back of that monster TC and 400, for an effective field of view of 2200mm.
If one in 20 people reject your overtures, that is still a very good change from NOT reaching out;>) and a small price in embarrassment to pay.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Fri 11-May-12 02:26 AM
#12. "RE: One of a kind post!"
In response to Reply # 11

creekside, US

Hi Stan, nice hearing from you again too. Hope you are doing well. And thanks to all that commented on my post. I will keep on asking the questions and keep on talking to the strangers along my journey to become a better photographer that's for sure....Thanks for all the encouragement guys...you guys are inspire me....

Darlene

Liu Kang Registered since 31st Mar 2012Tue 15-May-12 02:57 PM
62 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: One of a kind post!"
In response to Reply # 12

Weatherly, US

I don't think this has to do with photography at all. This is nothing to do with cameras at all. This has to do with human behavior.

There are people out there that just are not people friendly and then there are those who would love to share their experiences.

For example this forum. There are lots of people that won't go on this forum because to answer one of the beginners questions is beneath them. Then there are those that are nice enough to share their experiences with us so we can figure out what we are doing and not make the same mistakes...

Also keep in mind, these are very expensive equipment and some people would rather not take the risk of anyone else causing any damage.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251048 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.