nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Considering purchasing lighting and need advice on what to buy

MJCreations

US
14 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
MJCreations Registered since 28th Feb 2012
Mon 09-Apr-12 09:10 PM

Hello. I shoot with a D90. The only equipment I own is my camera, tripods, lenses, filters, and recently I added a Sunpak hot shoe mount flash to my list. (go ahead and smack my fingers on the Sunpak flash from Wal-Mart...maybe that was a no-no?)

Two days after buying the Sunpak flash, my husband got out the old Mamiya camera he bought many years ago, and OF COURSE the flash works on our cameras. He has a D80. At least we both now have flashes. Anyway, there is another flash in the equipment, and I'm not sure what it is. It looks very similiar to the hot shoe mount flashes, except in the bottom where you would attach it to your camera, there is only a hole like for mounting this flash onto a tripod or stand. It takes batteries. I have no idea how you would trigger a flash with this. It's very old, and I would assume it is not wireless. He purchased this stuff before 1998, and I think it was fairly old then. The camera is 35mm. I have used it to take pictures years ago, but now some of the lenses are growing fungus inside.

Anyway, I want to invest in backdrops and lighting, but I'm pretty much clueless on what to buy for the lighting.

I want some continuous lighting, a gold and a silver umbrella, and an off-camera flash. Do I need two umbrella reflectors of the same color, or is one enough? Do I need a white one (or two??)?
What do I need to get set up?

Thanks for any input on this. I have never used any lighting other than my pop-up flash or natural lighting.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Considering purchasing lighting and need advice on ...

G