Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251000
View in linear mode

Subject: "I am baffled?" Previous topic | Next topic
cnl390 Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2007Fri 06-Apr-12 12:58 PM
145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I am baffled?"

San Antonio, US

I am using my Nikon D90 and either really don't understand the way it is supposed to function or I have a problem.
I am using a SanDisk Extreme 10, 4GB, 30MB/s card. It has approx. 500 images on it. I formated the card and the images are still there. I was under the impression that this was the proper way to safely delete images and clear the card. Am I wrong? Or do I have a problem?
Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: I am baffled?
gkaiseril Gold Member
06th Apr 2012
Covey22 Moderator
06th Apr 2012
cnl390 Gold Member
06th Apr 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
06th Apr 2012
MEMcD Moderator
06th Apr 2012
CharlieS Silver Member
06th Apr 2012

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 06-Apr-12 02:08 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I am baffled?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Exactly how did you try to format the card?

Is there is more than one way but both require a confirmation of the request to format. That confirmation is either a prompted or repeating of the format action depending upon how you instructed the camera to format. See pages 30 and 202 of your user manual.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 06-Apr-12 02:12 PM
10577 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I am baffled?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

How did you format the card? In-camera or....?

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

cnl390 Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2007Fri 06-Apr-12 02:16 PM
145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: I am baffled?"
In response to Reply # 2

San Antonio, US

I used the two camera buttons method.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 06-Apr-12 02:37 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: I am baffled?"
In response to Reply # 3

Chicago, US

And did you format twice?

See page 30 of your user manual.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 06-Apr-12 04:03 PM
25739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: I am baffled?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Charles,

Try going through the camera menu to format the card.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

CharlieS Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Fri 06-Apr-12 09:23 PM
1729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: I am baffled?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Using the two button format method, the first time you press the format combination, sets up the camera to format your card. You then need to press the button combination a second time to confirm and actually format the card.
As mentioned it can also be done via the menus.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251000 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.