Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250987
View in linear mode

Subject: "Commander mode in D90" Previous topic | Next topic
Andy47 Registered since 20th Aug 2011Thu 05-Apr-12 09:37 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Commander mode in D90"

Albuquerque, US

I just bought a used D90 to get commander mode in the camera body (I also have a D5100). I have set the SB700 flash to remote. I have set the camera to commander mode and for the built-in flash I've selected "--" so the built in flash is not supposed to fire. The SB700 goes off fine, but the built in flash fires every time. Suggestions on how to fix this? If it's a defect in the camera, I need to return it asap. Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Thu 05-Apr-12 10:35 PM
3631 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Commander mode in D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Farmington Hills, US

The built-in flash fires a sequence of flash pulses to determine the remote flash power for TTL metering and set the remote power level. This happens before the camera shutter opens. Then the built-in must send one more pulse to trigger the remote for the actual exposure. If the built in is set to "--" this final pulse is weak and shouldn't have any effect on the actual exposure.

This weak pulse could cause an annoying catch light in a subject's eyes. To eliminate any affect from the built-in trigger pulse, Nikon makes the SG-3IR. The SG-3IR fits in the hot shoe and blocks all visible light from the built-in flash from going forward. The SG-3IR allows the infra-red portion of the flash output to go through. It's the IR that is interpreted by the remotes for control.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

Andy47 Registered since 20th Aug 2011Thu 05-Apr-12 11:29 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "Thanks Gary"
In response to Reply # 1

Albuquerque, US

It's true I just eye-balled the built-in; it sure looked like a full-power flash, but I will do some more tests.

Andy

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 06-Apr-12 03:28 PM
25675 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Thanks Gary"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Andy,

Gary is right.
Unless you are very close to your subject, with the built in Speedlight set to "--" the triggering pulse will not contribute to the exposure. If there is a reflective surface in the frame, the flash will reflect and be captured in the image as the highlights in the eyes as mentioned above.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Andy47 Registered since 20th Aug 2011Fri 06-Apr-12 06:20 PM
#4. "RE: Thanks Gary"
In response to Reply # 3

Albuquerque, US

Hi Marty,

Yes, Gary is right. I tested the flash (with the off-camera off) in a dark room; sure enough, the built-in threw no appreciable light. Thanks again, guys.

Andy

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250987 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.