Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250947
View in linear mode

Subject: "D80 overexpose" Previous topic | Next topic
bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Sat 31-Mar-12 03:25 PM
3350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D80 overexpose"
Sat 31-Mar-12 03:29 PM by bobpilot

Washington, US

I gave a friend my D80. This is his first SLR camera. He reads and speaks his language well, however, he is not skilled in English so the manual I gave him is not helpful.

Here is a photo he took. I did not use the AUTO mode as he did, so I do not know it's characteristics. Does Auto overexpose? Here is a shot he took:

I will explain to use Aperture priority and I'll explain how to use the histogram to check exposure. We are both curious to know why all of the pictures he took are overexposed.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D80 overexpose
elec164 Silver Member
31st Mar 2012
bobpilot Silver Member
31st Mar 2012
elec164 Silver Member
01st Apr 2012
bobpilot Silver Member
01st Apr 2012
WD4MLA Silver Member
02nd Apr 2012
cosmicfires Silver Member
03rd Apr 2012

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 31-Mar-12 05:34 PM
2123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D80 overexpose"
In response to Reply # 0

US

My first DSLR was a D80, and I believe when it first came out there was a lot of debate about it's metering system over exposing.

It seems Nikon tweaked the matrix metering on the D80 making it behave differently than any previous model. As such many people dialed in a constant -.3 EC to prevent it.

In fact a funny ancillary story is that when I bought my D80 and the sales person knowing this was my first DSLR set it up for me. He let me watch and explained what he was doing, but did it so fast I didn't know what he did. I then joined Nikonians and was puzzled by all the over exposure comments being that I didn't seem to have the same issue. As I read the manual and started playing with the settings, it's then that I realized he had dialed in a -.3 EC.

Of course if you switch to spot metering you should not have the same issue.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Sat 31-Mar-12 11:39 PM
3350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D80 overexpose"
In response to Reply # 1

Washington, US

These are overexposed by about one stop. I didn't have a problem with exposure with the D80; I shot in Aperture most of the time. He shot these in Auto. Might AUTO be the problem?

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sun 01-Apr-12 12:40 AM
2123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D80 overexpose"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 01-Apr-12 12:41 AM by elec164

US

I never really use Green Auto or any of the scene modes for that matter. Using Green Auto mode should not affect metering. But it will affect the way the image raw data will be processed to create the JPEG.

Any of the scene modes or the Green Auto mode have their own preset parameters that will override certain user selectable ones. For example it puts you into sRGB even if you have Adobe RGB selected.

So what appears to be an over exposure could in fact be more of aggressive PP.

If you have an NEF to work with it might be possible to tell if it was actually an over exposure, or overly aggressive processing.

Pete

Pete

bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Sun 01-Apr-12 12:51 AM
#4. "RE: D80 overexpose"
In response to Reply # 3

Washington, US

My friend took the photos; I am trying to figure out what went wrong.

I suggested he use Center-weighted and Aperture Priority. It will be interesting to see if this corrects the exposure issue. I bet it will.

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Mon 02-Apr-12 08:27 PM
921 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D80 overexpose"
In response to Reply # 0

Sylva, US

I have used a D80 for years and I changed to Center Weight and put my white balance on Cloudy. I am very pleased with the outcome now.

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Tue 03-Apr-12 05:29 AM
426 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D80 overexpose"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue 03-Apr-12 05:29 AM by cosmicfires

Lynnwood, US

My D80 overexposed when I first had it, I used -0.3 to -1.0 in daylight.

After I updated the firmware the problem was solved.

my website

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250947 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.