nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
lemartin

Louisville, US
13 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lemartin Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2009
Thu 29-Mar-12 12:41 PM

I would appreciate advice regarding a problem that recently started with my D90. On a recent overseas trip, day 9 of 11, the camera started malfunctioning. The viewfinder suddenly went dark like the lens was stopped down rather than wide open to allow framing and focusing. The same problem occurs with live view. The camera cannot achieve focus lock since the lens is stopped down. A Nikkor 16-85 lens had been mounted all day. When the lens is removed then reseated, the camera will take exactly one frame normally. I tried turning the camera off then back on without resolution. Replacing the battery with a fully charged one did not help. Resetting the camera to default settings did not help. The same performance with 2 other lenses was noted. Each and every time the camera will take one and only one frame normally, then the view darkens, with resolution for one frame only by reseating the lens. Cleaning the camera contacts has not helped.
It definitely looks like a camera problem, such that after taking one frame, the camera does not tell the lens to open up.
I would like advice about how to proceed. Should I consult a local repair shop to see if they can resolve the problem, or send the D90 to Nikon? Am I missing something?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D90 dark focus