Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250710
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need advice on D90 settings shooting sports with 28-70 ..." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
Fmandan Registered since 31st Dec 2011Mon 13-Feb-12 08:38 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Need advice on D90 settings shooting sports with 28-70 2.8 lens"

US

I have a D90 and Nikon 28-70 2.8 “The Beast” lens. I’ve found that this FX lens on my DX body is just about right for my intended purpose of shooting Wrestling –Matside. In fact, the Nikon 70-200 "sports lens", even on an FX body would be too tight / close from where I shoot) I went with the 28-70 for several reasons, but mostly its reputation for “sharp” pictures, its 2.8 aperture, and fast autofocus speed.

My goal: Shoot in gyms where lighting is “so-so” at best without a flash, and capture sharp images with the ability to “stop action”. –Not too much to ask, right?

I’ve been playing with: my ISO, Aperture, & shutter speed trying to get my pics to come out right.

The problem: While I have gotten some decent shots, many of my pictures are simply too soft and if I crank up the shutter speed to stop the action, the pictures become too dim. When I use my SB600 flash, my pictures are much sharper, but then I’m limited to the flashes ability to recharge and not overheat etc. Also, not using a flash, assures me I’m not being a distraction to the wrestlers and I can get a series of action pictures.

When I say too soft, I mean they look pretty good when I'm viewing them at 25%, but at 75% or full view they're fairly grainy.

I’m hoping someone can suggest some adjustments or a combination of settings that I haven’t tried yet to help in getting sharper pictures from my D90 and 28-70 2.8 lens.

Also, when I attach my SB600 flash, the shutter speed is greatly limited. Is there a way around this, or does it really matter with a flash?

Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberTue 14-Feb-12 01:18 AM
5954 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Need advice on D90 settings shooting sports with 28-70 2.8 lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

The same question was asked here:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=146&topic_id=206492&mesg_id=206492&page=

I am locking this thread.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250710 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.