Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250708
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 'r' messages" Previous topic | Next topic
lynngail Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2009Mon 13-Feb-12 04:54 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 'r' messages"

New York 10708, US

I've heard that the 'r' messages relates to the number of images in the buffer. I have no idea what that means. Cannot release the shutter when it appears. Appears at least 50% of the time. Do all camera do this?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D90 'r' messages
MEMcD Moderator
13th Feb 2012
lynngail Silver Member
13th Feb 2012
aolander Silver Member
13th Feb 2012
MEMcD Moderator
14th Feb 2012
lynngail Silver Member
14th Feb 2012
Kidkett Silver Member
15th Feb 2012
lynngail Silver Member
15th Feb 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 13-Feb-12 05:37 AM
26439 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 'r' messages"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Lynn,

Yes, "r__" is the number of images that can be captured before the buffer is full. When it reads "r0" the buffer is full and the shutter will not release until there is enough space in the buffer to capture another image.

In Single Servo (AF-S) mode, the shutter will not release until the AF system has locked on to a subject. Is the focus indicator on the left side of the viewfinder dislay indicating focus lock?

Are you using an good AF target with enough contrast for the AF system to lock on? Try using the center AF point. It is a cross type sensor that is more sensitive than the others, so it works better in difficult situations.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

lynngail Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2009Mon 13-Feb-12 01:47 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 'r' messages"
In response to Reply # 1

New York 10708, US

Is the buffer where images stack up before they actually go onto the memory card? It never reads 'r0'. There's always a number after the 'r'.
What happens if I'm shooting multiple frames per second or bracketing? Does it still happen?

Is there a setting that will over ride the 'r' factor? It's driving me crazy.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 13-Feb-12 05:19 PM
3298 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 'r' messages"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 13-Feb-12 05:21 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

The "r" message is not a warning, it is just showing you the buffer information. The "r" message is present anytime you half-press the shutter and does not indicate that there is any other problem, e.g. focus. If you exceed the buffer when shooting multiple frames in a row, the camera will stop until the buffer has space for another shot, and then start again. It's not likely that you've come up against a full buffer from what you describe.

The fact that the shutter is not releasing has nothing to do with the "r" appearing. It is due to some other factor or problem.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 14-Feb-12 01:55 AM
26439 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D90 'r' messages"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Lynn,

>Is the buffer where images stack up before they actually go
>onto the memory card?

Yes! The buffer is temporary memory that stores the image file until it is written to the memory card.

>It never reads 'r0'. There's always a number after the 'r'.

That means that you are not filling the buffer.

>What happens if I'm shooting multiple frames per second or
>bracketing? Does it still happen?

Depending on the image quality settings, if you shoot fast enough, for long enough, you will fill the buffer.

>Is there a setting that will over ride the 'r' factor? It's
>driving me crazy.

I am not sure what you mean by "r" factor?
There is no way to turn off or over ride the "r_ _" (number of images remaining) when the shutter button is pressed half way.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

lynngail Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2009Tue 14-Feb-12 08:48 PM
#5. "RE: D90 'r' messages"
In response to Reply # 1

New York 10708, US

I thought you had to be in focus regardless of the shooting mode.?

Yes, always use a good AF target. I'm from the old days when auto focus had not been invented yet. and I used split focus screen.

My 'r' message always has a number ie 'r6' so I know there's room in the buffer.

Sometimes you go through a whole bunch of frustrations but come out knowing a lot more. I hope this is one of those times.

Tried importing photos and message reads 'corrupted'.

I'm starting to think i don't know what i'm doing OR the camera's a lemon.

Kidkett Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Wed 15-Feb-12 04:14 AM
434 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D90 'r' messages"
In response to Reply # 5

Campo, US

Hi Lynn,

Now that you know that r6 is how many pictures you have left in you buffer let try to find out what other problem you are having.

You say that your “Tried importing photos and message reads corrupted”. Does that happen all the time, do you ever get any pictures that are good that you like? Another question is what are the AF setting that you are using?

Before we get going, check the front of your camera where the lens attaches and check the AF/M switch to make sure that it is turned to AF and not M or in between. Also check the lens to make sure it is in the same AF mode. I am guessing that your lens turns when you press the shutter button half way down, right? And yes your right that it won't take a picture until it has focus lock, except in AF-C where it will take pictures even if not in focus.

Now back to the message reads corrupted. It sounds like there is error or you card and if you have all the pictures off it, what you want to do is to format it in your computer. I hope you have a USB card reader or a reader in your computer. Do a Full Format and make sure to uncheck the Quick Format box. That will fix any errors you have on you card, and after that is done put the card back in your camera and format it in the camera. Take some pictures to see if it works. Lets go from here and see what happens and if you need any more help formatting just post again and I will give you more information. I will be looking for your post.

Good Luck,
Bill

lynngail Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2009Wed 15-Feb-12 05:04 PM
#7. "RE: D90 'r' messages"
In response to Reply # 6

New York 10708, US

Bill,
Re-enacted what I did before except this time I reformatted card twice. (decided to forfeit pictures since I don't have a USB card reader). All seems to be Ok. I heard about reformatting twice but there doesn't seem to be anything in the manual about it. Hoping tis is the end of the problem.

Thanks very much for your help.

Lynn

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250708 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.