Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250702
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 Pop-up Flash not working correctly" Previous topic | Next topic
n6jah Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2002Sun 12-Feb-12 09:40 PM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"D90 Pop-up Flash not working correctly"

Corona, US

Hi all,

I think my D90 pop-up flash is not working properly, and I will need to send it out for repair. I'm posting the symptoms just in case someone else has run into the same issue and has some insight.

The camera is under 2 years old, and has taken less than 5,000 shots. I have two batteries that are both in good condition.

I have an SB-600 that is about 5 years old, and I have used lightly. The batteries for the SB-600 are fairly new; I'm getting quick recycle times.

When I take a picture using the pop-up flash, it is overexposed by 4 stops.

I have my AE-L/AF-L button set to Flash Value (FV) lock. If I use the FV Lock, it fires the exposure flash and locks. The exposure is then at least 5 or 6 stops overexposed. If I undo and redo FV Lock, the exposure is OK.

I put the D90 and SB-600 in commander mode. I verified the group and channel settings match. The D90 does fire the pop-up, but the SB-600 won't fire.

While in commander mode, the pop-up will not contribute to the exposure regardless of how I set the internal flash mode and compensation. FV lock has no effect.

When I put the SB-600 on the hot-shoe, everything is working as it should.

I reset SB-600 and did both the "two button" and the "Reset Custom Settings" from the menu on the D90 to no avail.

So, that's my saga. I'm hoping someone will let me know the secret menu option to fix this. (Not holding my breath. )

TIA,
jim
.... . ... . . ... ... .... . .. ... .... .. ... .... .. .... ..

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D90 Pop-up Flash not working correctly
gkaiseril Gold Member
12th Feb 2012
n6jah Silver Member
14th Feb 2012
stevoxt Silver Member
14th Feb 2012
Arkayem Moderator
14th Feb 2012
n6jah Silver Member
18th Feb 2012

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 12-Feb-12 10:42 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 Pop-up Flash not working correctly"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Have you tried a camera reset?

What are the settings for the SB-600:
Mode?
Group?
Channel?

What are the Group settings on the camera for:
Channel?
Group A?
Group B?

Can you post sample images with the full Exif data?

George
My Nikonian Galleries

n6jah Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2002Tue 14-Feb-12 03:37 AM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: D90 Pop-up Flash not working correctly"
In response to Reply # 1

Corona, US

Hi George,
Yes, I reset the D90 first using the two-button reset, then the full reset from the menu. I also reset the SB-600.

Settings for both:
Mode TTL
Group A
Channel 3

And I tried different groups and channels, making sure they matched, and the result is the same.

The examples below were shot in program mode, matrix metering, with no exposure compensation or flash compensation.

I tried manual, aperture priority, shutter priority, and full auto with no difference. And just for fun, I tried with two other lenses.

Here's a shot with the SB-600 connected to the hot shoe:

Here's a shot with the pop-up:

jim

stevoxt Silver Member Nikonian since 07th May 2010Tue 14-Feb-12 10:47 AM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 Pop-up Flash not working correctly"
In response to Reply # 2

belfast, GB

Hi,

I was looking at the exif data and noticed when using the SB600 your ISO is 200 and F4.O against ISO 400 and F2.8 when using the pop up flash would that make so much of a difference in images.

all the best
stevo

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberTue 14-Feb-12 05:51 PM
5985 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D90 Pop-up Flash not working correctly"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

Hi Jim,

It definitely looks like there is something wrong with the pop-up flash.

However, in looking at the exif data, I see one thing that you are doing wrong. You should always use spot metering when using the pop-up flash when you want the flash to be primary. If you use matrix metering, it forces the pop-up into TTL-BL mode, and then you will usually get underexposure. Same with the SB-600, except, you switch it to regular TTL on the flash itself.

So, you know the problem exists in TTL-BL mode with the pop-up.

You should now try the same shot using the pop-up in regular TTL mode as follows: camera in Manual mode, Spot metering, ISO 400, 1/160th, and f/4.5.

If the problem shows up in regular TTL mode, it is almost certainly going to need a trip to the shop.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

n6jah Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2002Sat 18-Feb-12 08:00 PM
#5. "RE: D90 Pop-up Flash not working correctly"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 18-Feb-12 08:01 PM by n6jah

Corona, US

Well, I tried full manual as noted above, and it looks like a trip to the shop is in my future.

Thanks all for your help.

edit:
Don't know why thumbnail not showing up. Oh well, it looks like the bad shot above.

jim

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250702 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.