nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250693
View in linear mode

Subject: "Is there any way to turn Fn button on front of D90 body..." Previous topic | Next topic
Coalsmoke Registered since 25th Dec 2011Sat 11-Feb-12 11:07 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Is there any way to turn Fn button on front of D90 body into ISO button "

CA

Hey guys and ladies, has anyone found a way to make it so that the function button on the front of the D90 body selects ISO as an adjustment for the command wheel, instead of how it's configured where one must use their thumb on the back of the body? The manual doesn't list ISO as a programable Fn option, but to me it seems like it would make sense?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Is there any way to turn Fn button on front of D90 ...
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
12th Feb 2012
Coalsmoke
12th Feb 2012
TheDraftsman
14th Feb 2012
Coalsmoke
15th Feb 2012
kentak Silver Member
15th Feb 2012

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 12-Feb-12 01:00 AM
4920 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Is there any way to turn Fn button on front of D90 body into ISO button "
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Pressing the ISO button is the only way.

From what I understand the D7000 has a feature that lets the ISO be changed by the "unused" dial when you are in Aperture- or Shutterspeed- priority.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Coalsmoke Registered since 25th Dec 2011Sun 12-Feb-12 08:16 AM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Is there any way to turn Fn button on front of D90 body into ISO button "
In response to Reply # 1

CA

Thanks Joseph, it's not a big deal but I thought it would be nice if there was a way. In regards to the 7000, I pretty well stay in manual anyways, so I guess it still wouldn't help me much.

TheDraftsman Registered since 20th Jan 2011Tue 14-Feb-12 08:03 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Is there any way to turn Fn button on front of D90 body into ISO button "
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 14-Feb-12 08:14 PM by TheDraftsman

middlesex, US

Its not the only way. You have an option called Easy ISO that lets you just turn your main command dial or rear dial to adjust ISO on the fly. Amazing how many don't know about it or use it or just don't read their manuals at all. I could never live with out it on both my D90 or D7000. PG.181 in your manual if you can't find it or d3: in your custom settings.

Visit Current D90 Set-up.

http://fototime.com/{04CF383D-D221-4184-A88C-5F1B6AFC4AE4}/origpict/proudownerfinal.png

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Coalsmoke Registered since 25th Dec 2011Wed 15-Feb-12 08:32 AM
#4. "RE: Is there any way to turn Fn button on front of D90 body into ISO button "
In response to Reply # 3

CA

>Its not the only way. You have an option called Easy ISO
>that lets you just turn your main command dial or rear dial to
>adjust ISO on the fly. Amazing how many don't know about it or
>use it or just don't read their manuals at all. I could never
>live with out it on both my D90 or D7000. PG.181 in your
>manual if you can't find it or d3: in your custom settings.

Unless I'm mistaken, that won't work for manual mode, since I'd be losing my aperture or speed commands. One thing I have done to help the situation since posting was to change the setting under d:3 so that my ISO now displays in the viewfinder instead of my frame count.

----------------------------------------
Stephan P.
Langley, B.C. Canada

D90 w/ 18-55 VR2

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Wed 15-Feb-12 08:45 PM
924 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Is there any way to turn Fn button on front of D90 body into ISO button "
In response to Reply # 4

US

From page 181:

"If Show ISO/Easy ISO (z) is selected, ISO sensitivity can be set by rotating the sub-command dial (modes P and S) or main command dial (mode A)."

You are correct to point out that shortcut isn't available in M mode, as both dials are needed for the other settings. Like you, I've set the ISO to show in the viewfinder--a great way to keep an eye on how auto ISO is changing things or as a reminder of what ISO I've chosen. Much more useful to me than frame count.

Kent

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250693 Previous topic | Next topic