Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250646
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 on manual not working"?"" Previous topic | Next topic
lynngail Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2009Sat 04-Feb-12 10:40 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 on manual not working"?""

New York 10708, US

I've been shooting manual ever since my Nikon FM days in 1976. But I cannot figure out what I'm doiing wrong with my D90.
On manual. ISO is at 200. Wb is set most of the time). I shoot. The camera changes the settings, f-stop and shutter.
Manual always meant the camera is under my command. Does it mean something different w/ digital.
Am I overlooking something obvious?

I'm in the middle of an important body of work. Hurry????!!!!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D90 on manual not working"?"
JosephK Silver Member
04th Feb 2012
lynngail Silver Member
04th Feb 2012
briantilley Moderator
05th Feb 2012
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
05th Feb 2012
lynngail Silver Member
05th Feb 2012
SWIMR Silver Member
05th Feb 2012
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
05th Feb 2012
Ken Mitzen
06th Feb 2012
lynngail Silver Member
13th Feb 2012

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 04-Feb-12 11:01 PM
4147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 on manual not working"?""
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 04-Feb-12 11:01 PM by JosephK

Seattle, WA, US

The only thing that comes to mind is that you might have bracketing turned on.

Or maybe auto-ISO?

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

lynngail Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2009Sat 04-Feb-12 11:26 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 on manual not working"?""
In response to Reply # 1

New York 10708, US

ISO set to 200.

The shutter speed changes too drastically to be bracketing.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 05-Feb-12 08:05 AM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D90 on manual not working"?""
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

Could you post a couple of example images to show the changes you're seeing? It could help us to diagnose what might be going on.

Thanks!

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Sun 05-Feb-12 03:23 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 on manual not working"?""
In response to Reply # 0

Brighton and Hove, GB

Manual is manual. Front dial changes aperture, rear dial changes shutter speed. If you don't rotate the dials, nothing should change.

You could try a reset. Hold down the exposure compensation and AF buttons (marked with green dots) at the same time for a few seconds. The camera should reset itself to factory defaults. If manual mode on the mode dial still doesn't give you manual control, it sounds like your mode dial might not be working.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

lynngail Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2009Sun 05-Feb-12 03:10 PM
#5. "RE: D90 on manual not working"?""
In response to Reply # 3

New York 10708, US

Gary,
I did what you suggested and it seems to have done the trick. Can you explain why resetting worked?
Thank you very much.

SWIMR Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Apr 2006Sun 05-Feb-12 05:28 PM
271 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D90 on manual not working"?""
In response to Reply # 5
Sun 05-Feb-12 05:30 PM by SWIMR

US

This brings to mind a similar issue I have with wide angle autofocus. In both my D90 and D80 bodies, using a 16-85 or 18-200 lens, when set at their widest zoom range (or close to it) they typically don't focus at infinity or anywhere close to it when I point at things pretty far away (say, for example, a house, tree, fence) in bright light. Often, the focus scale reads somewhere in the vicinity of 8 - 10 fee, well short of the actual distance. Problem (if it is one) disappears when I zoom longer...say 25mm or so and beyond. My thought has been that this is due to the wide depth of field in a wide angle lens, so as the autofocus cranks towards focus on my "distant" objects, it sees a sharp enough resolution at a shorter distance because due to the depth of field, that's as far toward infinity as it needs to go to focus. Does this make any sense to others?

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Sun 05-Feb-12 11:34 PM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D90 on manual not working"?""
In response to Reply # 5

Brighton and Hove, GB

Lynn, I have no idea how your camera got into the misbehaving state. But obviously nothing is broken and the reset did what it is supposed to do which is restore the camera to the factory-standard normal working state. I'm glad it worked for you.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

Ken Mitzen Registered since 04th Oct 2011Mon 06-Feb-12 07:08 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D90 on manual not working"?""
In response to Reply # 7

US

I make a point of resetting my camera everytime I take it out of it's bag. I have tricked myself before by not doing this and had a lot of post processing to do because of it.

lynngail Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2009Mon 13-Feb-12 03:55 AM
#9. "RE: D90 on manual not working"?""
In response to Reply # 7

New York 10708, US

Thanks Gary. Appreciate the help.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250646 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.