Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250598
View in linear mode

Subject: "New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card rout..." Previous topic | Next topic
Coalsmoke Registered since 25th Dec 2011Thu 02-Feb-12 07:23 AM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
Thu 02-Feb-12 07:24 AM by Coalsmoke

CA

Hi everyone, just bought my first DSLR, found a new D90 with a 18-55mm kit lens for a good deal, so I will be showing my face here rather regularly.

One question I have lingering, I read that its a good idea to re-format the memory card each time its taken out of the camera and re-inserted. Why is this? Is it a good habit to reformat say once a month?

Thanks,
Stephan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card ...
MEMcD Moderator
02nd Feb 2012
Joseph Bautsch
02nd Feb 2012
OnTERRYo Silver Member
02nd Feb 2012
JosephK Silver Member
03rd Feb 2012
oldh2oguy
03rd Feb 2012
geeza
02nd Feb 2012
Ken Mitzen
02nd Feb 2012
PAStime Silver Member
03rd Feb 2012
OnTERRYo Silver Member
03rd Feb 2012
Coalsmoke
03rd Feb 2012
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Feb 2012
delikid
03rd Feb 2012
bclaff Silver Member
04th Feb 2012
Chevy Thunder Silver Member
04th Feb 2012
cliddell Silver Member
04th Feb 2012
JosephK Silver Member
04th Feb 2012
bclaff Silver Member
04th Feb 2012
bclaff Silver Member
04th Feb 2012
Omaha
04th Feb 2012
bclaff Silver Member
04th Feb 2012
PAStime Silver Member
05th Feb 2012
Chevy Thunder Silver Member
04th Feb 2012
bclaff Silver Member
04th Feb 2012
Coalsmoke
04th Feb 2012
bclaff Silver Member
04th Feb 2012
Coalsmoke
04th Feb 2012
bclaff Silver Member
04th Feb 2012
Coalsmoke
04th Feb 2012
PAStime Silver Member
05th Feb 2012
lynngail Silver Member
04th Feb 2012
PAStime Silver Member
05th Feb 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 02-Feb-12 07:41 AM
26465 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Stephan,

I always format my memory cards in the camera after downloading the images (via card reader) to my computer. Formatting deletes all of the images and configures the card to optimize it's performance in the camera. There is no reason or advantage to format the card once a month.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Joseph Bautsch Registered since 15th Oct 2009Thu 02-Feb-12 12:33 PM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 0

Marietta, US

Marty is right on. Always reformat the card in the camera after you have down loaded the shots to whatever storage system you use. There is no particular schedule for this process.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Thu 02-Feb-12 03:06 PM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 02-Feb-12 03:07 PM by OnTERRYo

Hamilton, CA

Here's a point that may help Stephan and myself.
I've had my D90 since last October and am working on my first format.
If I format it, will it affect the automatic folder prefix that is created during a download to the computer?
Will formatting the card start me over at folder one again?
Thanks.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 03-Feb-12 12:42 AM
4633 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 3

Seattle, WA, US

The answers to those questions will depend on what software you are using to do the transfers.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

oldh2oguy Registered since 28th Nov 2011Fri 03-Feb-12 03:49 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 03-Feb-12 03:53 PM by oldh2oguy

Lima, US

Hi Stephan

If you set File Number sequence to on, it will keep increasing the picture number. If you leave it off, you'll start from DSC_0001 every time you reformat a card. Over time you'll have hundreds of photos on your computer all called DSC_0001. Been there done that and that makes a mess of yer pic files.

For your info get to it by: Menu,Custom Setting Menu (pencil icon),Shooting/display (d),File Number Sequence (d7)Set to ON

I hope you enjoy you D90! I really like mine even if there is a lot to learn for an old guy.

Earl

This IS the good old days!

Visit: My Nikonians Gallery

geeza Registered since 12th Jan 2012Thu 02-Feb-12 05:24 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Reformatting your card after downloading the images has an added benefit (at least for me). I start each trip/event with a empty card, so I don't get mixed up with pics from different trips/events on the card.

Ken Mitzen Registered since 04th Oct 2011Thu 02-Feb-12 07:13 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I also format after each download, this way I am sure I have downloaded any and all images. Image files are so large anymore, I need all the room I can get on my pc hard drive.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 03-Feb-12 02:05 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 5

Kingston, CA

After I have transferred all images from a card onto my computer, and am satisfied that I have a suitable backup of anything valuable, I re-insert the memory card in the camera and format it by holding the two buttons in. This is fast and convenient and I know the card is ready to go from the camera's perspective.

If you don't format in the camera, and instead delete images and/or format the card using some other machine, there is a very small chance that the way the card is organized (file and directory structure) will in some way be incompatible with the camera. I suppose this could lead to a malfunction and perhaps even loss of images. I think the chances of all this are very small as the SD card standard is popular and common.

Peter

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Fri 03-Feb-12 03:28 AM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 7

Hamilton, CA

Joseph,
<<If I format it, will it affect the automatic folder prefix that is created during a download to the computer?
Will formatting the card start me over at folder one again? >>
Actually, it is one question.
I am using Nikon Transfer which came with the camera.

Peter,
That is sound advice - well put and well said.

Thanks guys.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

Coalsmoke Registered since 25th Dec 2011Fri 03-Feb-12 05:58 AM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 8

CA

Thanks guys. I don't use a card reader but instead download using the cable that came with the camera and use iTunes which automatically downloads and categorizes and then erases the images on the card for me. Since the card doesn't leave the camera in this instance, is it still beneficial to reformat the card after downloading my images? This is what prompted the once a month or once a week thought. I was a lurker for a while before signing up. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of collaboration and brain power here on Nikonians.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 03-Feb-12 05:12 PM
26465 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Hi Stephan,

>I don't use a card reader but instead download
>using the cable that came with the camera and use iTunes which
>automatically downloads and categorizes and then erases the
>images on the card for me.

The idea of third party software erasing images on a memory card in the camera sounds dangerous to me. Card readers are quite inexpensive and most notebook computers and many desktop computers already have an SD Card Reader built into the machine. The wear and tear of attaching the camera to the computer every time you want to download images, added to the possibility of damaging the camera due to a shorted USB cable or a voltage spike is even less appealing.

>Since the card doesn't leave the
>camera in this instance, is it still beneficial to reformat
>the card after downloading my images?

Yes! Reformatting the card in the camera after the images are deleted using third party software would be a very good idea. It would be a better idea to skip deleting the images with i-tunes and delete them by fomatting the card.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

delikid Registered since 09th Nov 2011Fri 03-Feb-12 12:37 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

Good question! I was told by a couple of photographers in a camera club I'm in that you should reformat your card IN the camera using the camera's function to reformat the card. This gives the card the exact format settings that the camera likes to use.

Reformatting clears any photos and extraneous data left on the camera. Supposed to lead to less card corruption, too.

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Sat 04-Feb-12 03:56 AM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US

Stephan,

I never reformat my cards and consider the "requirement" a myth.
I've lost track of how many photos I've taken but it's probably around 200,000 in the past 5 years with the D70, D200, and D300.
Never lost an image.
Never formatted any cards.

Bill

Visit me at My site

Chevy Thunder Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sat 04-Feb-12 05:37 AM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 13

Sheridan WY, US

I've been following this topic with interest, so here are my thoughts, and please correct me on any points that may be incorrect:
It seems to me that the "over-all general rule" for all applications of all electronic devices (cameras, in our case) using external solid state memory devices (SD cards in our specific case) is that it is the best (and safest) practice to ALWAYS format the card when it is FIRST used. AND always format it in the SPECIFIC device (camera) in which it will be used. So, we should NEVER format a card on one camera, and then use it on a different one without "re-formatting." Okay, so far, so good.

Now, about periodically reformatting the same card on the same camera: For me, I see a couple of reasons that I WOULD re-format a card. The first case would be if I have possibly "altered the data" in any way, when the card is not in the camera. -a specific example would be deleting a file (or files) while the card is plugged into my computer.

And the second case (and here is where I hope someone who is learned on the specifics of solid state memory will respond) is this: Isn't it true that the "formatting" process does a lot of "house-keeping" that we don't generally think about? -such as "marking out bad sectors" (or whatever the proper term is, -the equivalent to disk type memory), as well as "cleaning up the directory", and so forth.

I guess what makes me this seem obvious to me is that all memory devices will have "bad sectors" even when brand new, and the formatting process marks them out, to prevent them from being used, otherwise there would be a certain amount of "corrupted data." So, doesn't it make you wonder if other sectors may fail over time? -and if so, periodic re-formatting would be a good practice.

So now, with all that being said, I suspect that in the "real world" applications of most SD cards, the vast majority of us SD card users may in fact never follow any of the "general rules" and NEVER experience a single failure.

So, what do you think about that??

Harry

"Life is GREAT " -even better with Nikonians

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Sat 04-Feb-12 11:48 AM
1002 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 14

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Four of my cameras use CF cards (and one uses SD). I rotate about a dozen cards so I have an additional backup on the card until it's turn comes up again. Then I just place the card in the camera and press the format buttons.

Thus the card I pick up may have been formatted by one of four cameras (all Nikons) and I just think its "safer" to simply Format...

Where cards are rotated, as I do above, and if I didn't want to Format then I would have to dive into menues to "delete all" rather a long way round...

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 04-Feb-12 04:59 PM
4633 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"

Seattle, WA, US

>Now, about periodically reformatting the same card on the same
>camera: For me, I see a couple of reasons that I WOULD
>re-format a card. The first case would be if I have possibly
>"altered the data" in any way, when the card is not
>in the camera. -a specific example would be deleting a file
>(or files) while the card is plugged into my computer.

The card is just a file system object. Doing file system operations on it will not require special handling later. The advantage of doing a "quick format" in the camera is that it is much faster that way to remove all the old files.

>And the second case (and here is where I hope someone who is
>learned on the specifics of solid state memory will respond)
>is this: Isn't it true that the "formatting" process
>does a lot of "house-keeping" that we don't
>generally think about? -such as "marking out bad
>sectors" (or whatever the proper term is, -the equivalent
>to disk type memory), as well as "cleaning up the
>directory", and so forth.

This is the difference between a "full format" and a "quick format". "Quick format" updates the file tables to an empty state and a few other minor things. "Full format" does the sector checks and other error correcting, along with the deep file system formatting. The camera only does a "quick format".

>I guess what makes me this seem obvious to me is that all
>memory devices will have "bad sectors" even when
>brand new, and the formatting process marks them out, to
>prevent them from being used, otherwise there would be a
>certain amount of "corrupted data." So, doesn't it
>make you wonder if other sectors may fail over time? -and if
>so, periodic re-formatting would be a good practice.

Every so often a "full format" by the computer using a card reader can be a good thing to get the error detection/correction. Afterwards, do a quick format in the camera.

>So now, with all that being said, I suspect that in the
>"real world" applications of most SD cards, the vast
>majority of us SD card users may in fact never follow any of
>the "general rules" and NEVER experience a single
>failure.

Sounds about right. The cards come from the factory already "full formated" with the file format expected by most cameras. Like hard drives do, cards can go bad. I have had two do that over the years. Lexar cards have a life-time warranty. I replaced one of the cards; a "full format" seem to make the second one usable again.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Sat 04-Feb-12 05:16 PM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 16

Joseph,

"Full format" does the sector checks and other error correcting

I don't think the full format does any sector error checking per se, but writing to the sector does give the hard disk firmware the opportunity to detect and correct errors.

Regards,
Bill

Visit me at My site

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Sat 04-Feb-12 05:13 PM
#17. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"

Harry,

There is certainly no harm to formatting the memory card each time before use.
The debate is whether doing so is necessary.

Part of the confusion stems from the fact that we use memory cards in our cameras as storage devices and so we confuse their "care and feeding" with the rotating magnetic memory (hard disks excluding SSDs) we commonly use in our computers.

A low-level format is performed on the hard disk once at the factory.
At that time physical sectors are mapped to logical sectors.
Defective physical sectors are excluded.
The hard disk firmware tracks new errors and may add "grown defects" to the list of bad physical sectors and remap.
At the BIOS level your computers does not know or care about physical sectors. The BIOS uses the mapped sectors in a scheme called Logical Block Addressing (LBA).
Without special manufacturer software you cannot perform a low-level format on your hard disk.
The process is similar for memory cards except I don't think grown defects are handled, your card simply can "go bad".

You do have access to the following, in Windows it would be in Disk Management.

Next, your hard disk get partitioned. Usually into one partition but sometime multiple partitions. You could partition a memory card into multiple partitions but it would serve you no purpose.

Next, the partition is formatted, and here is where it gets tricky.

First, you must choose the style of File Allocation Table (FAT) that will be written. Note that FAT "styles" are standardized, FAT32 is FAT32 regardless of computer or camera. For your cameras this is crucial because the camera firmware must be able to handle the FAT that you write. Certainly having the camera firmware write the FAT ensures that it will be able to read the FAT. One the other hand, if the camera supports that size of memory card and it is already formatted with a FAT that is appropriate for the memory card size, then you are almost certainly all set.

Next, with Windows, you choose whether to do a "Quick" format or a "Full" format. Camera firmware always does a quick format that simply writes an empty FAT. If the camera follows the Digital rule for Camera File system (DCF) then certain files and directories are recreated after the quick format.

BTW, it is DCF that allows you to move memory cards between cameras without having to reformat. I do this routinely.

Regards,
Bill

Visit me at My site

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Sat 04-Feb-12 05:26 PM
556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 17

Omaha, US

I'm far from an expert on any of this, but...

I use a card reader. Pop the card into the reader, then into the USB port. Files are copied to my server, which is automatically backed up daily.

I reformat on camera every time I put it back in. I have no idea if doing so is necessary, but I can't see any reason to think its harmful, and it only takes a moment, and it makes it easier not having the previous images on the card anymore the next time I upload to the server.

So, I guess my opinion comes down to "Why not? Formatting is free and easy."

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Sat 04-Feb-12 06:04 PM
#21. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 19

Jeff,

This might make you wince, but I move rather than copy my files, so there's no need to format since the card is "empty" after the move.
And no, I have never lost a file by moving rather than copying

My move is done with a batch file that recurses through the directories so I get all the images regardless of how many cameras the card has been in.
My procedures also renames the files as it moves them (off topic).

FWIW, in a pinch I'll use my card like a "flash drive" to carry non-photographic files around.
If I were to format the card, I might lose something non-photographic that I care about!

Regards,
Bill

Visit me at My site

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sun 05-Feb-12 01:05 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 21

Kingston, CA

>This might make you wince, but I move rather than copy my
>files, so there's no need to format since the card is
>"empty" after the move.
>And no, I have never lost a file by moving rather than copying

That makes me wince! I prefer copying for the obvious reason that if something bad happens mid-transfer, or post-transfer, the memory card is my backup. I even have a preference for card readers and their software that permit reading cards with the write lock enabled. (The iPad2 doesn't permit this which is annoying).

It is reassuring however that you've never had loss of an image.

Peter

Chevy Thunder Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sat 04-Feb-12 05:51 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 17

Sheridan WY, US

OUTSTANDING responses. -these Nikonians Forums are a great asset.

Speaking for myself, I now have a much better idea how and when to do a re-format, and at what level. I hope others will too. I now realize that there ARE times ti makes sense to use my computer to do a full format. And I think it makes totally good sense to use the "in camera" format option to delete all files, "clearing" the card for re-use.

One quick question for Bill, do our cameras use FAT32?
(When using a Windows computer, I've never known which one is right for any particular digital device,,,,)

Thanks to everyone !!

Harry

"Life is GREAT " -even better with Nikonians

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Sat 04-Feb-12 06:05 PM
#22. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 20

Harry,

do our cameras use FAT32?

That depends on how old your camera is. I imagine that most of not all modern digital cameras support FAT32.

Regards,
Bill

Visit me at My site

Coalsmoke Registered since 25th Dec 2011Sat 04-Feb-12 06:18 PM
#23. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 22

CA

Wow this has been an excellent learning experience. Up above I mentioned that I use iTunes, that should have read iPhoto for photo handling. It has been an excellent photo management software for me, never had a problem of any kind, and saves the steps of having to copy or move and organize files.

I hadn't thought of the point of perhaps wearing out the camera's usb and am going to pick up a card reader as that does sound like it may be a better way to go.

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Sat 04-Feb-12 06:39 PM
#24. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 23

Stephan,

perhaps wearing out the camera's usb and am going to pick up a card reader

I think you make the right decision, but for the wrong reason
There is no "free lunch", you trade off wear and tear of the card slot against wear and tear of the USB connector.
But for a number of other reasons, using a card reader is a better approach than using USB straight to the camera.
It's usually less clumsy, you don't have to have the camera handy, with a good reader it's sometimes faster, you can handle multiple cards more easily, etc.

Regards,
Bill

Visit me at My site

Coalsmoke Registered since 25th Dec 2011Sat 04-Feb-12 08:11 PM
#25. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 24

CA

True, no free lunch, but the card reader mechanism looks very robust compared to the mini USB. Are there classifications of card readers in terms of speed or classes like there are for SD cards?

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Sat 04-Feb-12 08:23 PM
#26. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 25

Stephan,

Are there classifications of card readers in terms of speed or classes like there are for SD cards?

Sure, the reader will support some version of USB, each version is faster than the previous.
Of course the USB port on the computer must also support the higher USB version.
The typical reader today will be USB 2.0, avoid 1.x.
USB 3.0 is not helpful unless your computer supports it too.

Regards,
Bill

Visit me at My site

Coalsmoke Registered since 25th Dec 2011Sat 04-Feb-12 08:41 PM
#27. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 26

CA

Excellent I'll pick one up this weekend.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sun 05-Feb-12 01:00 AM
#29. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 25

Kingston, CA

>True, no free lunch, but the card reader mechanism looks very
>robust compared to the mini USB. Are there classifications of
>card readers in terms of speed or classes like there are for
>SD cards?

I think the memory card door on the camera is more delicate than the USB connector.

Peter

lynngail Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2009Sat 04-Feb-12 10:48 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York 10708, US

Some photographers have told me to reformat it twice. Has anyone else heard that?

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sun 05-Feb-12 01:00 AM
#30. "RE: New D90 owner and do you reformat your memory card routinely?"
In response to Reply # 28

Kingston, CA

>Some photographers have told me to reformat it twice. Has
>anyone else heard that?

The need to format once is debatable. Twice is plain unnecessary.

Peter

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250598 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.