Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250483
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 remote trigger" Previous topic | Next topic
ACmr2 Registered since 07th Dec 2011Tue 17-Jan-12 07:32 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 remote trigger"

manchester, GB

hi everyone, i,m looking to get a remote trigger for my D90, there are quite a few options out there so just wondered what you would reccomend or also which ones to stay clear of. thanks Alex.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D90 remote trigger
Ken Mitzen
17th Jan 2012
PAStime Silver Member
17th Jan 2012
michaelhager
17th Jan 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
17th Jan 2012
Ken Mitzen
20th Jan 2012
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
18th Jan 2012
Rassie Silver Member
19th Jan 2012
ACmr2
19th Jan 2012
OnTERRYo Silver Member
19th Jan 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
19th Jan 2012
IdahoBaird
27th Jan 2012
HenkB Silver Member
27th Jan 2012

Ken Mitzen Registered since 04th Oct 2011Tue 17-Jan-12 10:36 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 remote trigger"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have the ML-L3. So far shutter release has been hit or miss for me. I need to do my homework on this.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 17-Jan-12 12:29 PM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 remote trigger"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 17-Jan-12 12:29 PM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

>I have the ML-L3. So far shutter release has been hit or miss
>for me. I need to do my homework on this.

I bought the Phottix WXD-188 and like it a lot. It is great for the weekend and casual shooter like me. (I don't know if it would stand up to daily commercial use - perhaps it would). The price is very attractive. I bought it from a reseller on fleabay - that has its own risks. Peter

michaelhager Registered since 15th Feb 2007Tue 17-Jan-12 04:44 PM
2284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: D90 remote trigger"
In response to Reply # 2

Fountain Inn, US

The ML-L3 works flawlessly if you know it's limitations. The IR sensor on the camera is in the front of the camera so the remote works best when you are using it for self portraits. Also, in bright sunlight, the range can get shortened up a bit. I haven't tested it with a tape measure but I know that say 40 or 50 feet away in the daytime it's hit or miss, a little better at night.

If you're using it as a shutter release for tripod work, just put it in front of the camera to use it. Indoors it will sometimes work from behind due to the IR reflection off of walls, glass, etc. but it's not perfect.

The thing is, if you work with its limitations, you can't beat it for the price.

I was disappointed when I found it wouldn't work with my D300. But I still use it with the D70s after, well, a lot of years!

C. Michael Hager
Your most important piece of photo equipment is built into your face.
www.cmhager.com/Content/photo.shtml

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 17-Jan-12 04:50 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D90 remote trigger"
In response to Reply # 3

Chicago, US

Good news, it will work with the D4.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Ken Mitzen Registered since 04th Oct 2011Fri 20-Jan-12 01:42 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D90 remote trigger"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>I have the ML-L3. So far shutter release has been hit or miss
>for me. I need to do my homework on this.
Did my homework last night and this remote works perfectly for my intended uses.

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Wed 18-Jan-12 04:38 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D90 remote trigger"
In response to Reply # 0

Brighton and Hove, GB

I got a bit frustrated with the ML-L3 on my D70. Since the D90 takes a corded release I just picked up an MC-DC2. If you don't need to be too far away from the camera it's great, there's no battery to die on you and it has a handy lock for the shutter button so you don't have to keep it pressed for minutes at a time if you're doing bulb exposures.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Thu 19-Jan-12 12:36 AM
2899 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D90 remote trigger"
In response to Reply # 5

Milton, CA

Agreed. I have both the Ml-L3 and the corded release. I prefer the corded one by far for those times I'm standing behind the tripod. The Ml-L3 is only preferable when standing in front of the camera and including yourself in the picture.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

ACmr2 Registered since 07th Dec 2011Thu 19-Jan-12 10:35 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D90 remote trigger"
In response to Reply # 0

manchester, GB

thanks for the reply,s everyone, i,ve ordered the mc-dc2 and ml-l3 just to cover all situations. thanks Alex.

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Thu 19-Jan-12 02:28 PM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D90 remote trigger"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu 19-Jan-12 02:29 PM by OnTERRYo

Hamilton, CA

Hi Alex,

Having both is probably the best thing.
I have neither (yet) but plan to get the remote (first) soon.
I have a situation where I take photos of wildlife at our
birdfeeder from our kitchen. The tripod puts the camera
a little on the high side for best plane of view but
is a little awkward to 'step up' and shoot.
With a remote, I can merely watch the feeder for a shot
I like and use the remote.............and sip my beer.
I'm goind to try for the ML-L3.

Michael (reply #3) mentions a limitation having the
IR in the front, what would happen if a mirror was used?
Would it not work?
I'll have to try it when I get mine.

Terry

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 19-Jan-12 02:52 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D90 remote trigger"
In response to Reply # 8
Thu 19-Jan-12 03:01 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Yes it is possible to use mirror, but with the limited FOV of the IR sensor in will be difficult to get this to work over a distance.

It is possible to the ML-L3 with a fiber optic cable.

If you have a programmable TV remote, you can program it for the Memorex TV and the On/Off button will trigger the camera. So you can experiment with an RF remote for free.

Note that the IR remote will time out after a maximum of 15 minutes (page 180 of the D90 manual), so this might not work if you have to wait for a bird to appear. To work around this you either need to wired release or a remote the connects to the camera through the accessory port. IR remotes also have a limited control distance, can be blinded by bright lights, and blocked by any solid object.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

IdahoBaird Registered since 25th Jan 2012Fri 27-Jan-12 04:57 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D90 remote trigger"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi,

I've been using one of the $5.00 eBay knock-off remotes and it works just fine. I also figured out how to set up an old RCA universal TV/VCR remote so it will trigger the camera. I programmed code 051 and the trigger works with the Volume Up button. The universal remote has more range than the little one - and it's harder to lose since it's pretty bulky.

IdahoBaird

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Fri 27-Jan-12 02:28 PM
540 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D90 remote trigger"
In response to Reply # 0

Wayland, US

One answer to the position of the IR sensor is to capture a small piece of aluminum foil with the closed flash and fashion it into a somewhat parabolic shape. Works a treat.

Best,

Hendrik

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250483 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.