Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250310
View in linear mode

Subject: "Auto-ISO on a D90 for travel: advice?" Previous topic | Next topic
DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Mon 02-Jan-12 07:02 PM
359 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Auto-ISO on a D90 for travel: advice?"

Geneva, US

I learned about the wonders of auto-ISO when I took Steve Simon's "Mastering Your D90" workshop last year and I have been using it fairly regularly since then. I am headed for Venice and Rome next month and expect to encounter a lot of low light situations. I'd appreciate any insight and advice from anyone who has used auto-ISO on the D90.

First of all, I regularly push the D90 to ISO1600 when I need to, but I haven't gone above that. Does performance deteriorate markedly (increased noise and decreased saturation) at ISO 3200? at the H settings for ISO values above 3200? (I probably ought to try some tests myself, but I am not sure I'll have the time...hence the questions!)

Second, assuming Nikkor VRII lenses, what should I use as a minimum shutter speed to trigger auto-ISO? I'm thinking 1/30 sec would be fairly safe for most VRII lenses other than my 70-300mm telephoto. I don't think subject movement will be important most of the time. Obviously, I need a more conservative approach with non-VR lenses.

All of this assumes hand-held shooting -- even though I'll have a standard tripod and a Gorillapod with me, I know that I'll be shooting hand-held a lot of the time.

Thanks in advance for your insights and ideas,

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Auto-ISO on a D90 for travel: advice?
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
03rd Jan 2012
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
03rd Jan 2012
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
04th Jan 2012
JerryT
10th Jan 2012
spicyTuna Silver Member
22nd Jan 2012
blw Moderator
22nd Jan 2012
Manunia
26th Jan 2012
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
27th Jan 2012
briantilley Moderator
27th Jan 2012

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Tue 03-Jan-12 03:43 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Auto-ISO on a D90 for travel: advice?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 03-Jan-12 03:47 AM by ShrimpBoy

Brighton and Hove, GB

Confession: I shoot RAW and convert with Lightroom, so I can't speak for jpegs straight out of the camera. Editing to add: I also don't use auto-ISO, I just tweak the ISO manually as needed.

Here's an ISO 1600/3200/6400 comparison I happened to shoot for myself this past Thanksgiving (click the image for the larger gallery version). Unfortunately I did not do this comparison outdoors too (it was cold!).

The images are 100% crops of an area in light shadow. ISO 1600 is top, ISO 6400 is bottom. If you look closely, the green on the cups left of the microwave gets a bit muddy at ISO 3200. It's worse at ISO 6400 and the red foil on the wine bottle has suddenly lost saturation. Noise speaks for itself but you're really only losing significant detail in the darker shadows and if you're viewing at 50% or less it's a non-issue.

>Second, assuming Nikkor VRII lenses, what should I use as a
>minimum shutter speed to trigger auto-ISO? I'm thinking 1/30
>sec would be fairly safe for most VRII lenses other than my
>70-300mm telephoto. I don't think subject movement will be
>important most of the time. Obviously, I need a more
>conservative approach with non-VR lenses.

I think this is very much dependent upon how steady you are to begin with, but what you suggest sounds reasonable to me. I wouldn't go lower than 1/100s at the long end of the 70-300.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Tue 03-Jan-12 10:11 AM
359 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Auto-ISO on a D90 for travel: advice?"
In response to Reply # 1

Geneva, US

Thanks - a picture really is worth 1000 words! It seems like my ISO1600 limit makes sense.

Dave

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Wed 04-Jan-12 04:12 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Auto-ISO on a D90 for travel: advice?"
In response to Reply # 2

Brighton and Hove, GB

You've got some nice shots in that gallery. I really like the vertical three-balloon shot. Reminds me of a hundred years ago when I took a dawn balloon ride in the Australian outback.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

JerryT Registered since 31st May 2010Tue 10-Jan-12 08:42 PM
615 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Auto-ISO on a D90 for travel: advice?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I also am not a fan of auto ISO. I don't find it takes long to tweak the ISO setting manually as circumstances warrant. With my D90 I stick to a maximum ISO of 1600.

Jerry

spicyTuna Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Sun 22-Jan-12 05:00 AM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Auto-ISO on a D90 for travel: advice?"
In response to Reply # 4

San jose, US

I usually shoot with auto iso set with a min shutter of 1/30 for anything hand held. If I have a tripod, I just disable auto iso.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 22-Jan-12 06:12 AM
26290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Auto-ISO on a D90 for travel: advice?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Noise is also a function of how you use the image, as well as your skill in getting rid of it. If your image will be used to make a 24x36" print, even 1600 is probably too high if you don't do anything about it. (There's also the matter of lost dynamic range.) On the other hand, if you are downsizing to email or web, it really is amazing how tolerant we can be of noise!

If you have good software and good technique, you can make amazing strides against noise. Clearly one doesn't want to go there without necessity, but Lightroom does a pretty good job now, and external noise reduction such as Topaz DeNoise or Noise Ninja are even better. This is especially true when applied selectively.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Manunia Registered since 05th Jan 2012Thu 26-Jan-12 06:24 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Auto-ISO on a D90 for travel: advice?"
In response to Reply # 0

Brooklyn, US

Shutting on auto DSLR is like driving Mazzerati below 30km per hour. High ISO will cause u noise in low light situations. Try to keep your aperture around 2.8/4. And play with manual. You are missing way too much fun.

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Fri 27-Jan-12 01:42 PM
#8. "RE: Auto-ISO on a D90 for travel: advice?"
In response to Reply # 7

Geneva, US

Thanks for all your comments.

Just a clarification: I have been using auto-ISO to allow me to adapt rapidly to changing light situations without missing shots. Obviously, I avoid it if I have time to set things up the way I want them and if I am able to use a tripod for non-moving subjects.

As for noise -- my own experience, looking at shots in my library, is that the D90 performs quite well up to ISO 1600 especially if you take advantage of modern noise reduction programs. I have been using the DeNoise program from the NIK software suite.

Dave

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 27-Jan-12 06:03 PM
28309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Auto-ISO on a D90 for travel: advice?"
In response to Reply # 8

Paignton, GB

>Just a clarification: I have been using auto-ISO to allow me
>to adapt rapidly to changing light situations without missing
>shots.

And there's nothing wrong with that, Dave. I find Auto ISO extremely useful in such situations. I would simply ignore anyone who maintains that those who make use of automation are somehow "cheating" or not making use of the camera's capabilities

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250310 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.