Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250173
View in linear mode

Subject: "D80 battery or SD card proiblem?" Previous topic | Next topic
Tyrrell54 Registered since 20th Dec 2011Tue 20-Dec-11 07:27 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D80 battery or SD card proiblem?"

GB

My Nikon D80 is fitted with the Nikon 18-200VR lens. I was out shooting some photos today, came home and downloaded them into Photoshop and worked on them as usual. During this time the camera was connected to the computer but switched off as I had all the photos downloaded to a folder on my hard drive. When I was finished working on the photos I turned the camera on again to dump the images off the SD card but when I switched it on it wasn't recognised by my computer. I then noticed that the battery indicator in the display was flashing with the letters Err to the side. I thought the battery was flat so I put in a freshly charged battery but it made no difference. I removed the lens and found that the mirror was locked up. I unlocked the mirror cleaned the contacts and replaced the lens. When I switched the camera on the battery indicator was flashing but the Err had disapeared. The battery indicator always flashes 7 times. Also the display is not indicating the fact that I have an 4GB SD card in the camera. Nor is it displaying (-E-)which it should do if I take the card out. The brackets are there in the display but no indication of the number of shots available. I have tried two other SD cards one 4GB and a 2GB and neither are registered in the camera. I put the SD cards into my computer and they worked fine and I was able to dump the files from there. I have always used the camera set to JPEG fine but today I changed it to RAW as I wanted to start processing images in Camera Raw, could that be a problem? I tried to find out what firmware version is on my D80 but when I press the menu button nothing happens, I don't get the menu up on the screen. I'm out of work at he moment and I can't really afford some expensive fix so can anyone think of any reason why this is happening? The camera was working perfectly a matter of hours ago! Many thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D80 battery or SD card proiblem?
Kidkett Silver Member
21st Dec 2011
Reply message RE: D80 battery or SD card proiblem?
Tyrrell54
21st Dec 2011
Reply message RE: D80 battery or SD card problem?
gkaiseril Gold Member
21st Dec 2011
Tyrrell54
21st Dec 2011
Tyrrell54
26th Dec 2011
Tyrrell54
02nd Feb 2012
MEMcD Moderator
02nd Feb 2012

Kidkett Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Wed 21-Dec-11 12:51 AM
433 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D80 battery or SD card proiblem?"
In response to Reply # 0

Campo, US

Hi Alex,

Just a couple of quick things to try, did you try to reset the camera. And if you have all the pictures off the SD card did you try to format it to see if that does anything. Also you might make sure that you are pushing the card all the way in and it clicks into place and look into the slot to make sure something didn’t get in there.

Good Luck,
Bill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Tyrrell54 Registered since 20th Dec 2011Wed 21-Dec-11 12:43 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D80 battery or SD card proiblem?"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Hi Kidkett. Thanks for the suggestions however I have tried to reset the camera both with the button under the rubber flap and with the two buttons on top with the little green dots beside them. It had no effect at all. I removed the card from the camera and dumped the images off it on my laptop. When I tried to format the card in the camera nothing happened other than the battery and clock indicators flashing 7 times on the screen. With regard to the clock flashing I can't do anything about it as I can't access the menu! I have checked the slot and there is nothing in there, and the card is going fully in and locking.

I contacted Nikon Support who suggested that I had been using a card not approved by Nikon in the camera. The card in question is a Dane Elec 4GB card which I have been using without problems for years now. Nikon said that it was clearly stated in the user manual that only certain approved cards should be used. When I asked where it said this I was told on page 122 of the manual! I asked them what genius thought it was a good idea to put it on page 122 rather than on page 15 which deals with inserting memory cards for the first time but I guess that was too logical a suggestion!

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 21-Dec-11 03:28 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D80 battery or SD card problem?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

You might want to let the camera sit with the battery out for 2 days. After you take the battery out hold the shutter release down for at least 3 seconds. This should remove any residual built up stray charges.

I would also recommend using a card reader to read your media cards. Leaving the camera on drains the camera battery real fast. The focus and metering circuits are running at full speed and the computer is not providing any power to the camera.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Tyrrell54 Registered since 20th Dec 2011Wed 21-Dec-11 12:49 PM
#4. "RE: D80 battery or SD card problem?"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Hi gkaiseril. Actually I have the battery removed at the moment and the battery flap left open to air the compartment. If I can get this sorted out I will be removing the card and putting it into the card reader on my laptop from now on I can assure you.

Tyrrell54 Registered since 20th Dec 2011Mon 26-Dec-11 03:38 PM
#5. "RE: D80 battery or SD card problem?"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

I tried everything that has been suggested but it made no difference. When I switch on the full battery indicator flashes 7 times along with the clock indicator and the remaining exposures brackets remain blank. If I try to format the card nothing happens. If I push the reset button under the flap nothing happens apart from the battery and clock indicators flashing 7 times. Same if I push the two reset buttoins on top of the camera. And the rear screen still doesn't come on when I push the menu button.

Tyrrell54 Registered since 20th Dec 2011Thu 02-Feb-12 01:30 AM
#6. "RE: D80 battery or SD card problem?"
In response to Reply # 5

GB

Okay folks. I thought it might be useful to others to bring you up to date on this problem I was having. I sent the camera back to Nikon and they fixed it at a cost of £205. There was nothing on the invoice to indicate what exactly had been wrong with it. All it said was, "fit new spare parts, check, test and clean equipment" which with all due respect tells you nothing.

I complained several times about this to the service department and finally I got a reply and an apology. So this was the fix;

Please accept my apologies for the delay in response to your email.

I have had a look into the details of your repair and confirm that the DG PCB needed to be replaced due to component failure. This is the circuit board that controls the power output from the battery and disperses it throughout the different parts of the camera. The information with regards to what work was carried out should have been noted on your invoice emailed to you on the 19th January so I do apologise if this never reached you.

So there you have it. I hope this information is useful to anyone else with the same problems.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 02-Feb-12 05:58 AM
25017 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D80 battery or SD card problem?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Alex,

Glad to hear your D90 is up and running again.
Thanks for the follow up.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #250173 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.