Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #249966
View in linear mode

Subject: "Frustrating 'err' on D80" Previous topic | Next topic
Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Sat 19-Nov-11 04:38 AM
1376 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Frustrating 'err' on D80"

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

Hi all.I know this problem has been addressed a few times previously in connection with the D90 and the D70. I've been experiencing the same problem with my D80. I've tried all the solutions advised on the forum. I even googled the problem & found this link. http://mansurovs.com/how-to-fix-blinking-err-error-on-new-nikon-dslr-cameras. I've cleaned all the contacts. Done a full camera reset. Changed the SD card. Replaced a fully recharged battery. Tried the camera using each one of my lenses and checked the pins in the SD card slot.
Turning the camera off for a few seconds, then turning it back on, does relieve the problem temporarily. But I find the 'err' soon appears again. Especially when I use continuos shutter mode. (Essential when shooting wildlife).
A mechanic at a place I used to work had a motto in his workshop which read. " IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT, YOU NEED A BIGGER HAMMER'. It hasn't come to that option yet. Although, buying a new camera has certainly been on my mind. Any advice appreciated...Regards Scotty.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

'Proper Preparation Prevents Pathetic Performance'.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Frustrating 'err' on D80
Bluewaterhooker0
19th Nov 2011
Scotty45 Silver Member
19th Nov 2011
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
19th Nov 2011
Scotty45 Silver Member
19th Nov 2011
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
19th Nov 2011
Scotty45 Silver Member
19th Nov 2011
david hilos
06th Apr 2012
Reply message FWIW
chesterdawg Silver Member
06th Apr 2012

Bluewaterhooker0 Registered since 31st Jan 2009Sat 19-Nov-11 07:39 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Frustrating 'err' on D80"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa, US

Have had this problem on my D80's. If you wiggle the lens back and forth in its mount (there is a slight amount of play in the lens to camera mount), clockwise/counter-clockwise, can you clear the ERR display ? If so, I would suspect the dirty/corroded contact issue. If it comes back quickly, I would suspect you need some type of anti-corrrosion material on the contacts. I can't say what to use, but others on this site have noted the same problem. Using alcohol as a cleaner apparently can increase the problem due to an increase in corrosion of the terminals. When it happens to mine, I just do the above (wiggle) and the problem goes away for quite a while.

Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Sat 19-Nov-11 08:05 AM
1376 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Frustrating 'err' on D80"
In response to Reply # 1

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

Thanks Jerry. I haven't heard of that solution before. I'll try it next time it happens....Scotty.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 19-Nov-11 09:38 AM
26844 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Frustrating 'err' on D80"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

The problem is that "err" is a generic message, and it is conclusively known to represent more than one underlying problem, even on a single model. One thing that I am certain that it represents - in the abstract - is a shutter error, usually but not always due to drifting timing. That isn't something you can fix, but fortunately it's probably covered under Nikon warranty as it isn't a usage error. On the other hand, Err also is what happens if you drop the camera and cause the shutter to get out of square, and that is NOT covered by warranty!

In addition there are likely at least ten or twelve other circumstances, some common and some not, that produce the same "diagnostic."

The recurring nature of this problem on your camera does sound like it's going to need a trip to Nikon.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Sat 19-Nov-11 09:52 AM
#4. "RE: Frustrating 'err' on D80"
In response to Reply # 3

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

Thanks Brian. Occasionally the mirror seems to lock up when i'm trying to clear the 'err', which has me leaning towards a probable shutter malfunction. Although I have never dropped the camera, I have had it for 3 years. So the warranty period has well and truly expired. Looks like a trip to Nikon for the camera.....Scotty.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 19-Nov-11 08:54 PM
26844 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Frustrating 'err' on D80"
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond, US

If the mirror gets stuck, it may be the mirror mechanism that's causing the message. But either way, it's a trip to Nikon or an authorized repair facility.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Sat 19-Nov-11 11:31 PM
#6. "RE: Frustrating 'err' on D80"
In response to Reply # 5
Sat 19-Nov-11 11:31 PM by Scotty45

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

Thanks Brian..I was hoping for a simple solution, but I guess it's not to be. THANKS guys, for the advice. A trip to Nikon it is..Regards Scotty.

david hilos Registered since 21st Mar 2012Fri 06-Apr-12 12:30 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Frustrating 'err' on D80"
In response to Reply # 0

SG

I have fixed a few cameras with this problem.

If the contacts are clean, it's usually a problem with gear with electrical contact

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=150&topic_id=250990&mesg_id=250990&page=

chesterdawg Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2010Fri 06-Apr-12 04:49 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "FWIW"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 06-Apr-12 04:49 PM by chesterdawg

Commerce, US

When I had a D80 my "err" message required a $200 shutter fix. I only had 5k clicks on the thing!

Steve

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #249966 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.