Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #249095
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D70s Card Problem: DCIM, DCIO, lost pictures" Previous topic | Next topic
bunkermunkey4 Registered since 14th Aug 2011Sun 14-Aug-11 03:03 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D70s Card Problem: DCIM, DCIO, lost pictures"

US

I'm a 22yr old amateur photographer shooting in Puerto Rico for a few weeks. I signed up for nikonians today because I really need some help!

Yesterday, I was shooting in a rainforest, and my battery was getting low, but it made it through the whole day. I checked most my pictures after taking them and everything looked great. But when I went to transfer my pictures last night, only the last 9 pictures were there - in a DCIM folder. There is also a DCIO folder, which was 10 or so files with random symbolic text file names - all 0 bytes. There is also a DCIO " " folder, but I can't open it. I don't see another folder or anywhere else that might be hiding hundreds of picture files.

Unfortunately, I don't have a card reader with me, so I'm forced to access the card through a USB cord connected directly to the camera. I tried using a mac and a pc, but the results are the same. I'm using a Nikon D70s, and the memory card is a Kingston 16GB 133x "Elite Pro" compact flash card, like this: http://megapchardware.com/zencart/images/Kingston%20CF16GBS216GB%20Compact%20Flash%20Elite%20Pro.jpg

I've tried reading about this problem, but for most people, they can still view all the pictures on their camera, but they have trouble transferring them. I can view only 9 pictures on my camera. It appears as through hundreds of pictures just vanished, and I am really hoping that is not the case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D70s Card Problem: DCIM, DCIO, lost pictures
MEMcD Moderator
14th Aug 2011
bunkermunkey4
15th Aug 2011
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
17th Aug 2011
bunkermunkey4
17th Aug 2011
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
18th Aug 2011
bunkermunkey4
18th Aug 2011
DHoff
20th Aug 2011
Quigley 777
21st Aug 2011
divingman2
05th May 2013
HenkB Silver Member
06th May 2013
DHoff
07th May 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 14-Aug-11 05:30 PM
25549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D70s Card Problem: DCIM, DCIO, lost pictures"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Jeremy,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear of your problem.
It sounds like your memory card is corrupted.
I would recommend getting a card reader and Image Recovery software like RescuePro to recover the image files from the memory card.
Do not capture anymore images on your current card before you use the recovery software or the images may be overwritten and lost forever. You should also get a new memory card.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

bunkermunkey4 Registered since 14th Aug 2011Mon 15-Aug-11 02:25 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D70s Card Problem: DCIM, DCIO, lost pictures"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hi Marty,
Thanks for the welcome, and for the advice. Is there an particular reader you would recommend, or are they all about the same? I'll definitely look into RescuePro. I switched cards right away, and I don't think I took any pictures or anything after I noticed the corruption. At least I really really hope so. Thanks again.

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Wed 17-Aug-11 02:40 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D70s Card Problem: DCIM, DCIO, lost pictures"
In response to Reply # 0

Brighton and Hove, GB

I have used 4Gb versions of those cards in my D70 and didn't have any trouble with them. Strange.

The card reader shouldn't matter. I used to use a PC Card adapter to plug my cards into the laptop I had. Now I can plug them directly into the card reader slot in my new desktop machine. Anything will do.

I bought Stellar Phoenix for recovery and it has worked for me. It rescued all but two images off a card that got corrupted in-camera, and also rescued a whole bunch of pictures I'd forgotten to copy off a card before I reformatted and starting reusing it. In the latter case I lost the ones at the beginning of the card because they had been overwritten by new pictures, but the stuff at the end of the card was still there (and luckily was the stuff I wanted). I suspect most of the recovery programs will do an equally good job.

Good luck, I hope you can recover something.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

bunkermunkey4 Registered since 14th Aug 2011Wed 17-Aug-11 02:46 AM
#4. "RE: Nikon D70s Card Problem: DCIM, DCIO, lost pictures"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the help! I guess I just got unlucky with my card.

In any case, I'll be buying a card reader and recovery software when I get back to the states. I haven't used the card again since, and won't use it again until I'm back and able to attempt some recovery. I'll look into Stellar Phoenix. I panicked a little when I noticed I was missing hundreds of pictures, so I'm hoping I didn't do anything in haste that might have caused pictures to be overwritten...

Thanks again for your help. Your story certainly gives me some hope that I might have a chance at recovering some of my images.

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Thu 18-Aug-11 04:52 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D70s Card Problem: DCIM, DCIO, lost pictures"
In response to Reply # 4

Brighton and Hove, GB

I should just say that the recovery process is not quick, at least with Stellar. But for me it worked, and that was what mattered. I tried a few different freebies and trials; what sold me on Stellar was that it was able to recover the NEFs while most of the others I tried just recovered the preview jpegs from the NEFs.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

bunkermunkey4 Registered since 14th Aug 2011Thu 18-Aug-11 07:34 AM
#6. "RE: Nikon D70s Card Problem: DCIM, DCIO, lost pictures"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I think most of my pictures now are JPEG actually, but I'd be willing to wait, or otherwise sacrifice to get the highest yield of recovery. Do you think I might have done anything to jeopardize my chances of recovering the pictures? Thanks again for your help!

DHoff Registered since 10th Oct 2007Sat 20-Aug-11 07:22 PM
180 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon D70s Card Problem: DCIM, DCIO, lost pictures"
In response to Reply # 6

Lynchburg, US

In the computer forensics world there are tools to help find deleted files. There are a few that work in the Windows OS. This http://www.digitalforensicssolutions.com/Scalpel/ is a free alternative to the commercial products that have been suggested so far. There are a few steps involved in the process but the results are good. I have used the tool to recover a 4gb CF card that was full of NEF files from a D300. I have the NEF signatures if you should choose to try it. BTW a key concept is not to work directly on the CF card but to make an image of it. dd is used to facilitate that available here http://uranus.chrysocome.net/linux/rawwrite/dd-old.htm.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Quigley 777 Registered since 07th Sep 2009Sun 21-Aug-11 05:13 PM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon D70s Card Problem: DCIM, DCIO, lost pictures"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I had a card that gave me troubles too. Showed no pics-folder empty. even though I know it had a couple of hundred pics. I tried a few programs and found a free version that recovered all my pictures and many more, even after formatting. The program is "Zero Assumption Recovery" it can run off a card, stick or your computer and is easy to use.
http://www.z-a-recovery.com/

I have used it twice on two different cards. I never lost an image.

Ron Clifford
My Galleries

divingman2 Registered since 05th May 2013Sun 05-May-13 12:03 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon D70s Card Problem: DCIM, DCIO, lost pictures"
In response to Reply # 8

IL

Thank you Thank you . Its working Perfect .

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Mon 06-May-13 03:19 AM
533 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon D70s Card Problem: DCIM, DCIO, lost pictures"
In response to Reply # 0

Wayland, US

Another possibility is that the menu item marked NO CF CARD (on the D70 its #6 on the CSM menu) is set to Enable Release, not Release Locked. This will allow the shutter to happily click away if the camera loses contact with the card (the message CHA will appear in the frame counter position in this instance), allowing you to think that images had been captured and stored. That would be a downer. I don't know about the D70s, but the D70 has a reputation for losing contact with the installed card.

Best,

Hendrik

DHoff Registered since 10th Oct 2007Tue 07-May-13 01:37 AM
180 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon D70s Card Problem: DCIM, DCIO, lost pictures"
In response to Reply # 10

Lynchburg, US

This thread is from 2011. I doubt too many people are still looking on from the original conversation.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #249095 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.