Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #248577
View in linear mode

Subject: "D70S CF card issue" Previous topic | Next topic
gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Sun 19-Jun-11 02:11 AM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D70S CF card issue"

Canton, US

Has anyone else had issues with their CF card? I just bought a new 4GB, thinking my other 2GB was bad. Looks like it's not the card. The camera will work for awhile, and then, poof, either forgets the card is there, or says it needs to be formatted, which I have done a couple times. Happens with both cards. I have a feeling it's not a cheap fix to repair this.

George

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D70S CF card issue
Quigley 777
19th Jun 2011
gbowen Gold Member
20th Jun 2011
Rassie Silver Member
20th Jun 2011
gbowen Gold Member
23rd Jun 2011
jimsanders Silver Member
25th Jun 2011
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
25th Jun 2011
jimsanders Silver Member
25th Jun 2011
gbowen Gold Member
25th Jun 2011
gbowen Gold Member
22nd Jul 2011
rhelliott626
24th Jun 2011
gbowen Gold Member
26th Jun 2011
Quigley 777
26th Jun 2011
gbowen Gold Member
27th Jun 2011
gbowen Gold Member
05th Jul 2011
tel1749
23rd Aug 2011
gbowen Gold Member
12th Jan 2012
gbowen Gold Member
17th Jan 2012
jimsanders Silver Member
18th Jan 2012
gbowen Gold Member
18th Jan 2012
gbowen Gold Member
18th Jan 2012
GWHITSON Silver Member
26th Jan 2012
gbowen Gold Member
26th Jan 2012

Quigley 777 Registered since 07th Sep 2009Sun 19-Jun-11 01:54 PM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D70S CF card issue"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I just had the same thing happen to my D70. It would either says CHA or FOR and would not work with a formatted card then it would work. Also I had to use a file recovery tool to get my photos off the cards twice. It turned out to be a very minor flaw in one of my CF cards damaged the card reader in my camera. The repair was 172.00 including shipping (Nikon Canada Service)

Ron Clifford
My Galleries

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Mon 20-Jun-11 10:27 AM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D70S CF card issue"
In response to Reply # 1

Canton, US

Thanks for the info. Looks like my camera will be sitting awhile. Funds are nonexistent at this time to fix it. Thank goodness I have my D7000. Just hate not having a backup.

George

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Mon 20-Jun-11 12:44 PM
2839 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D70S CF card issue"
In response to Reply # 0

Milton, CA

The D70/S is known for the fact that the ribbon tape that connects the CF card slot with the camera's main processing board works loose from where it connects with the card slot internals. This happens over time from many instances of the card being removed and inserted again. This disconnect results in the camera bot being able to communicate with the CF card. A Nikon service center will fix this - at a cost. I, and quite a number of other Nikonians went through this. This may also be your issue.

A Nikonian posted a self-help fix to the problem on these forums a couple of years ago. It involves opening the bottom of the camera, and then you need really nimble fingers. I was too ham-handed and managed to make the problem worse when I tried it.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Thu 23-Jun-11 12:13 AM
#4. "RE: D70S CF card issue"
In response to Reply # 3

Canton, US

I have rather large fingers so I would also have the same outcome as you. Just glad the D70 isn't my main camera, but it would be nice to get more use from it as a backup/secondary camera. Oh well.

George

jimsanders Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2008Sat 25-Jun-11 12:57 AM
933 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D70S CF card issue"
In response to Reply # 3

Buffalo, US

That Nikonian might have been me. I posted a repair procedure back in May, 2008 and included step-by-step pictures copied from a website I found.

Unfortunately, the pictures are gone from the post and appear to be gone from the web too. Someone replied to the post in December, 2010 and I happened to see it. The pictures were there but I actually cringed when I saw them. Even though I gave the person credit, I should not have copied and posted images that were not mine. I can only say I was a rookie Nikonian back then and know better now. But the bottom line is the pictures are gone.

Anyway, back to the OP, did you check for bent pins in the card reader? If they all look straight and none of them are pushed in, the procedure to reseat the cables might work for you. I did it on my girlfriend's D70s and it has lasted a few years now. It's not too difficult, but as Koos (Rassie) said you can make it worse.

I would not recommend trying the repair without pictures, but the procedure involves removing the bottom plate from the camera and reseating two cables on the exposed circuit board. The tricky part is that the two connectors are different. If treated the same you WILL break one of them. In fact, I broke one but band-aided it with a small wedge of cardboard. Please don't tell my girlfriend.

If you are still in a jam come mid-July, my girlfriend will be going on a trip and will be taking my D80. I'd be willing to document the procedure with my own images if it will help. I need to check that cardboard anyway.

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Sat 25-Jun-11 04:31 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D70S CF card issue"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat 25-Jun-11 04:38 AM by ShrimpBoy

Brighton and Hove, GB

Here is a guide with pictures. You may not want to dislodge your cardboard repair if it's working.

I went through a spell with my D70 where it was corrupting cards on a semi-regular basis. I thought I might have to try this repair. But reformatting sorted out the cards and after two or three corruption incidents the camera seemed to settle down and hasn't played up since. Your situation, unfortunately, sounds worse.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

jimsanders Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2008Sat 25-Jun-11 12:39 PM
933 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D70S CF card issue"
In response to Reply # 7

Buffalo, US

Hey Gary - Good find! There is plenty of information and pictures to aid in either type of repair (bent pin or reseating cables).

Be sure to read the comments from the others who attempted this repair. There are additional tips mentioned.

When I did my repair I did not have any bent pins so I did not need to remove the back panel. One more time I will emphasize the two connectors on the bottom module are different. One of them has a pivoting clamp and the other is a sliding latch.

Another thing I found - and Stephan mentioned - is that there are two different lengths of screws on the bottom panel. I made a drawing of the bottom panel on a thin piece of cardboard (like the kind in a new shirt) and punched holes for the screws. As I removed a screw from the camera, I immediately stuck it in the cardboard template so I knew exactly where it belonged. Made life easier at reassembly time.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Sat 25-Jun-11 12:31 PM
#8. "RE: D70S CF card issue"
In response to Reply # 6

Canton, US

I don't see any bent pins. The card seats easily and seems firmly seated. Usually with a bent pin there is a little misalignment and the card would feel 'mushy'. I also did a hard format in my computer, not a quick one and the camera is reading the card. I will use the camera a lot today and see what happens. I will update as soon as possible. Thanks.

George

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Fri 22-Jul-11 03:55 PM
#14. "RE: D70S CF card issue"
In response to Reply # 6

Canton, US

>If you are still in a jam come mid-July, my girlfriend will be
>going on a trip and will be taking my D80. I'd be willing to
>document the procedure with my own images if it will help. I
>need to check that cardboard anyway.

Have you gotten into the D70 yet? I have yet to get up the courage to tackle the repair.

George

rhelliott626 Registered since 18th Jun 2008Fri 24-Jun-11 12:08 AM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D70S CF card issue"
In response to Reply # 0

SONORA, US

Try doing a hard format of the card on the computer, Mine sometimes acts up and this seems to resolve the issue.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Sun 26-Jun-11 05:02 PM
#10. "RE: D70S CF card issue"
In response to Reply # 5

Canton, US

Well, it worked for awhile, but now it's back to the same issue. Looks like I'll be studying how to do this fix and assembling the toolage.

George

Quigley 777 Registered since 07th Sep 2009Sun 26-Jun-11 05:45 PM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D70S CF card issue"
In response to Reply # 10

CA

let us all know if it works. I am curious weather I had to spend the 172.00 or if it might have been this issue. At least by sending mine in, it came back really clean!

Ron Clifford
My Galleries

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Mon 27-Jun-11 04:41 PM
#12. "RE: D70S CF card issue"
In response to Reply # 11

Canton, US

I guess it's worth a try, since it is my backup camera, and if it doesn't fix it, I'll send it in as soon as I can. No warranty to worry about, so why not? Plus as you said, a clean camera in the end.

George

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Tue 05-Jul-11 02:42 PM
#13. "RE: D70S CF card issue"
In response to Reply # 12

Canton, US

I hope to get to work on my camera soon. Had to move this weekend and in the process of unpacking. I'll keep you posted.

George

tel1749 Registered since 12th Aug 2011Tue 23-Aug-11 07:58 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D70S CF card issue"
In response to Reply # 13

GB

HI
I have put a reply to a other user on privous page ref this cf card problem i hope that my data recovery software will resolve the problem or it's a case of getting out the big screw drivers ETC . i note that it can be repaired at a centre that may be my last option
regards
Tel1749

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Thu 12-Jan-12 04:25 PM
#16. "RE: D70S CF card issue"
In response to Reply # 0

Canton, US

Revisiting this thread with an update. I delayed working on my D70, feeling not very confident about tearing into it. So I stored it without a battery or CF card in it for a couple months or so. Just for the heck of it, I charged the battery, inserted my new 4GB Lexar card, and guess what? Worked. No error messages. Ok, fine, but it'll probably rear it's ugly head again soon. That was nearly a week ago. I put a lot of frames through the camera, just sitting while watching TV and firing away, seeing if I could get it to fail again. So far it's been flawless.

Here's what I did. I formatted the card after several hundred exposures. I removed it, reinserted the card, and still no failures. I removed the battery and card. Put them both back in. No sweat. I tried different lenses. Again, perfect. I kept up the shooting. Great.

Here's what I did NOT do. I did not insert the original CF card which had been in the camera when it first failed. I am suspecting that old card was corrupted somehow, and messed up my camera. I plan to circular file that card. CF is cheap, so why take a chance? It tests and reads fine on my computer, but the only thing that makes sense is that card being bad.

So, if you are having similar issues with your D70, try leaving the card and battery out for a few weeks. Get a new CF, and try what I did. Can't hurt.

I have a D7000, so I did not miss out on shooting. Hopefully anyone else has a second camera to use while performing this fix. I will keep updating for awhile, until I am satisfied that the issue is resolved. Thanks and good luck if you try this. And let me know how you fare.

George

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Tue 17-Jan-12 02:15 PM
#17. "RE: D70S CF card issue"
In response to Reply # 16

Canton, US

Just when I thought it was safe to go back into the water....

After 5 days of continuous use, the problem has reared it's ugly head again. I shut the camera down, removed the card, put it back in, and it cleared for the time being, but all the images on the card are corrupted. Good thing they were junk shots of random stuff around the apartment. Looks like I'll be trying that fix soon. Nothing to lose by trying.

George

jimsanders Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2008Wed 18-Jan-12 02:29 PM
#18. "RE: D70S CF card issue"
In response to Reply # 17

Buffalo, US

Hi George - Sorry to hear you're still having problems, but it does not surprise me. You do not have a card problem.

I never did take my girlfriend's D70s apart again. It has been working perfectly.

It seems like you're dreading this procedure. It's really not that difficult. I'll make a suggestion to you: Review the procedure linked to in Gary's post #7. Remember you will only need the steps to remove the bottom cover with the goal of reseating the two cables. Find yourself a quiet, clean, well-lit place to work. Remove the battery. Take the bottom cover off with a plan of just looking. Find and study the two connectors. If you don't feel comfortable reseating the cables, put it back together. Come back to it on another day or send it in for repair.

On the other hand, if the connectors make sense, just do it! (Remember that one connector slides and the other one pivots.) Your camera is not reliable and has no value as a backup or for resale in this condition.

As you so aptly put it, you have nothing to lose by trying. It WILL be fun and very satisfying when complete. Guaranteed!

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Wed 18-Jan-12 02:45 PM
#19. "RE: D70S CF card issue"
In response to Reply # 18

Canton, US

Thanks. You are quite right of course. I will make the attempt as soon as I am comfortable. I'll keep you posted.

George

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Wed 18-Jan-12 11:07 PM
#20. "RE: D70S CF card issue"
In response to Reply # 19

Canton, US

I now have a paperweight. I broke the connector on the bottom of the card reader and now the ribbon cable cannot be secured. Not all is lost though. Seems all I need is a new card slot with cable attached. For now I am putting the camera in storage until I get the money for another. Wasn't working that well anyway, and I use my D7000 99.99% of the time anyway. Or maybe I'll just pony up and send it into Nikon at some point. Camera repair isn't my strong suit apparently.

George

GWHITSON Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2006Thu 26-Jan-12 05:22 PM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: D70S CF card issue"
In response to Reply # 20

rockville centre, US

Backing up to my origional post about the card size usable. I've found that my 8gb card works fine in the d70.

thanks for all you help

george w

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Thu 26-Jan-12 06:22 PM
#22. "RE: D70S CF card issue"
In response to Reply # 21

Canton, US

>Backing up to my origional post about the card size usable.
>I've found that my 8gb card works fine in the d70.
>
>thanks for all you help
>
>george w

Glad it worked out for you. Good to know once I get my camera back in action.

George

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #248577 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.