Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #2481
View in linear mode

Subject: "D80: Mirror Lockup?" Previous topic | Next topic
nic11 Registered since 19th Dec 2007Thu 14-Sep-06 02:03 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D80: Mirror Lockup?"

Is Mirror lockup not available with the new D80? I ask because I've seen examples in photo magazines where the the mirror slap caused enough camera movement to affect the picture (more likely with telephoto shots I imagine). In that case, is the D200 the camera that does have ML?

If this is the case, are any tricks available to get around the lack of ML in the D80, short of getting a D200?

thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D80: Mirror Lockup?
RWCooper
14th Sep 2006
Tweek
14th Sep 2006
nic11
14th Sep 2006
briantilley Moderator
14th Sep 2006
nic11
14th Sep 2006
MstrBones Silver Member
15th Sep 2006
briantilley Moderator
15th Sep 2006
nic11
14th Sep 2006
klrbee25 Silver Member
14th Sep 2006
foci
14th Sep 2006
     Reply message RE: D80: Exposure Delay - is it vibe-free?
nic11
14th Sep 2006
Tokyo Mike
15th Sep 2006
Delta5
15th Sep 2006
Berodesign
15th Sep 2006

RWCooper Registered since 04th Jul 2004Thu 14-Sep-06 02:14 PM
976 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D80: Mirror Lockup?"
In response to Reply # 0

Winnipeg, CA

Hi,

The D80 does NOT have mirror lockup. There is an option called exposure delay you can activate via the menus. It adds a 0.4 second delay between raising the mirror add releasing the shutter to reduce the effect of mirror slap.

Randy

Tweek Registered since 11th Sep 2006Thu 14-Sep-06 02:31 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: D80: Mirror Lockup?"
In response to Reply # 1

Fort Payne, US

Sorry to correct you but the D80 DOES have mirror lock-up

Page 106 in the manual.

nic11 Registered since 19th Dec 2007Thu 14-Sep-06 02:57 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D80: Mirror Lockup?"
In response to Reply # 2

by the time I wrot up my response to randy, tweek had already responded above.

I believe that some reviews or previews of the d80 were listing exposure delay as mentioned by randy. I believe that I'll be looking at the online d80 manual on pg 106 to clarify. Apologies if I've caused any confusion.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 14-Sep-06 02:59 PM
28771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D80: Mirror Lockup?"
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

>Sorry to correct you but the D80 DOES have mirror lock-up
>
>Page 106 in the manual.

Well, yes, but...

The original poster was asking about mirror lock-up for the purpose of reducing vibration whilst shooting.

The D80 does not have such a facility. The Mirror Lock-Up mode described on page 106 in the manual is only for the purpose of cleaning the low-pass filter in front of the sensor.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

nic11 Registered since 19th Dec 2007Thu 14-Sep-06 03:53 PM
#7. "RE: D80: Mirror Lockup?"
In response to Reply # 5

Yes, it does appear that 'mirror lockup' on pg 106 is strictly for cleaning of sensor as there is no mention for ML use in any picture taking application.

so this brings me back to the question of clarifying if the Exposure Delay function is sufficient to fully avoid vibration from mirror slap.

Do these questions help anybody else out there? Hope so! Thanks for everybody's input!

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Fri 15-Sep-06 05:12 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D80: Mirror Lockup?"
In response to Reply # 5

AW

>is only for the purpose of cleaning the low-pass filter in front of the sensor.

Brian,

Same as other Nikon DSLRs', correct? Only a few of the more expensive bodies have MLU for actual photography.

""

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 15-Sep-06 08:52 PM
28771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D80: Mirror Lockup?"
In response to Reply # 13

Paignton, GB

>Same as other Nikon DSLRs', correct? Only a few of the more
>expensive bodies have MLU for actual photography.

That's right - only the D200 and D2 series of the current Nikon DSLR's have Mirror Lock-up for shooting.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

nic11 Registered since 19th Dec 2007Thu 14-Sep-06 02:38 PM
#3. "RE: D80: Mirror Lockup?"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks Randy.

It sounds from your answer (exposure delay 'reduces' mirror slap) that exposure delay may not completely eliminate mirror slap in some or all instances?

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006Thu 14-Sep-06 03:49 PM
1384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D80: Mirror Lockup?"
In response to Reply # 0

Naples, US

The D80 has a mirror/shutter delay mode where the shutter opens 0.4 seconds after the mirror is completely up (as opposed to normally opening as soon as the mirror is out of the way). As far as I know, this is the best you'll get in relation to true mirror lockup.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

foci Registered since 16th Jul 2006Thu 14-Sep-06 04:03 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D80: Mirror Lockup?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

From some threads I have read in the past, if you think that the mirror slap will cause some movement, and the depending on the exposure time you are looking at using, one could hold a black card in front of the lens for a brief period (maybe 1/2 sec - 1 second) to eliminate the effect on the image. The brief period the card is in front of the lens should not effect the final image to any degree if the exposure is of decent duration.

nic11 Registered since 19th Dec 2007Thu 14-Sep-06 09:20 PM
#9. "RE: D80: Exposure Delay - is it vibe-free?"
In response to Reply # 8

Hi Foci,

thanks for your reply. I guess that I'm unsure how to visualize your fix, and perhaps would be too lazy to do without the mirror lockup

If the Exposure delay can't do the job, perhaps I should be getting a different camera, despite the d80 being pretty great in other repects.

I appreciate everybody's response.

Tokyo Mike Registered since 31st Aug 2006Fri 15-Sep-06 01:11 AM
389 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D80: Exposure Delay - is it vibe-free?"
In response to Reply # 9

JP

Just thinking out loud...

I think the Exposure Delay on the D80 will reduce vibration from mirror slap. Some have questioned whether 0.4 seconds is enough, so maybe MLU is better. This may be true, but until someone does some comparison tests between the D80 and D200 we'll never know. Anyone got both and willing to test?

Exposure Delay may offer some benefit that MLU doesn't have, i.e., when shooting at slower shutter speeds without a tripod. Once again, we won't know this until someone does some comparison tests (I'll try to give this a try this weekend and post the results).

My dream camera would have an adjustable Exposure Delay and MLU. Nikon, are you listening?

Mike

P.S. I think when the other poster was referring to using a card in front of the lens, he had very long exposures in mind (at least 10 seconds). However I think mirror slap will have very little practical effect on any shot that has a long enough exposure to allow using the card technique.

Delta5 Registered since 16th Jan 2006Fri 15-Sep-06 12:01 PM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D80: Exposure Delay - is it vibe-free?"
In response to Reply # 10

London, GB

>P.S. I think when the other poster was referring to using a
>card in front of the lens, he had very long exposures in
>mind (at least 10 seconds). However I think mirror slap
>will have very little practical effect on any shot that has
>a long enough exposure to allow using the card technique.

I think you're quite right Mike - from what I've read elsewhere mirror slap is really only an issue for exposures between approx 1/30 sec and 2 seconds. (You might recall an article showing night shots with wavy lines of diminishing amplitude traced by a boat sailing past with a light on deck - it demonstrated the issue really nicely, and I guess if one knows horizontal speed of the light point it should be easy to calculate the horizontal time scale and thus the time it actually takes for the vibes to stop! I can't remember where I saw it though, but if I can find it I'll post!)
That was however based on 35mm film SLR which has a bigger heavier mirror - almost certain to cause more vibration than on a D80 where the mirror is not only lighter but probably also better balanced and damped. Maybe the 0.4 sec delay is enough? It seems unlikely Nikon would have set this delay arbitrarily. I'd be very interested to see the results of any comparative testing as I do a fair amount of available light and landscapes in exactly that shutter speed range, and I'm planning to order my D80 next week.

BTW, thanks for all your helpful posts on the D80!

Dv
"Live like you're going to die tomorrow, learn like you're going to live forever." - Gandhi

Dave
Blue Delta Photography

Berodesign Registered since 21st Feb 2006Fri 15-Sep-06 07:17 AM
483 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D80: Mirror Lockup?"
In response to Reply # 0

Stockholm, SE

Sorry to sound ignorant... but it doesnt have mirror pre-fire?

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #2481 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.