Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #244036
View in linear mode

Subject: "D70 Stopped Focusing Last week and seeing R09 error" Previous topic | Next topic
modingus Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2008Wed 04-Aug-10 02:59 AM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D70 Stopped Focusing Last week and seeing R09 error"

US

What I have done so far.

1. taken the battery out for a while. - No Help
2. Did a soft reset a couple of times - No Help
3. Did a hard reset - No Help
4. Checked the firm and it was at 2.0
5. Cleaned the lens contacts on camera and the lens. -No Help
6. Changed lens to see if that would help - No Help
7. Reformatted the card - No help

The only way that I can make the camera fire is flip over into manual focus and then it works fine. The R09 messages changes to R04 when change picture to Raw, or R12 when shooting small jpegs. According to the manual these number should show up if the buffer is full but with only picture taken after a soft and hard reset I would think this would not be the case. Any guidance you provide on my troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 04-Aug-10 03:26 AM
3175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D70 Stopped Focusing Last week and seeing R09 error"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Those "R" numbers are showing you how many shots can be taken until the buffer is full. They are not indicating any error, and they will always show up like that with a half press of the shutter button. Sorry can't help you with the focus problem.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dpink68 Registered since 14th Sep 2010Tue 14-Sep-10 04:56 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D70 Stopped Focusing Last week and seeing R09 error"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

>Those "R" numbers are showing you how many shots
>can be taken until the buffer is full. They are not
>indicating any error, and they will always show up like that
>with a half press of the shutter button. Sorry can't help you
>with the focus problem.

The r-codes aren't related to the buffer in this case. Not sure why its showing up but it's playing havoc with searching message boards trying to figure out what the problem is. Seems it's not that rare of an occurrence. I have a d80 with an 18-200 lens and it stopped autofocussing last week. I got the r11 message. When I replace the 18-200 with a 35-70 the autofocus works just fine. Since the two lenses have different contacts, the only way to be absolutely sure is to try it with a different 18-200 so I've got to take it in to have it looked at. My bet is that it's something to do with the autofocus motor on the lens itself.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 04-Aug-10 03:43 AM
25572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D70 Stopped Focusing Last week and seeing R09 error"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Bill,

>The only way that I can make the camera fire is flip over into
>manual focus and then it works fine. The R09 messages changes
>to R04 when change picture to Raw, or R12 when shooting small
>jpegs. According to the manual these number should show up if
>the buffer is full but with only picture taken after a soft
>and hard reset I would think this would not be the case. Any
>guidance you provide on my troubleshooting would be greatly
>appreciated.

The r09, r04, and r12 refer to how many frames the buffer can hold before it is full. When the buffer is full or the memory card is full, it will indicate r00.

First make sure the lens is fully seated and locked in the mount.
Make sure the AF switch on the body and the lens are set to AF.
If that doesn't work, try cycling the AF mode switch back and fourth a few times on both the camera body and lens.
If that does not work, the problem may be the AF motor.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #244036 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.