nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #243770
View in linear mode

Subject: "Cleaning viewfinder - D90" Previous topic | Next topic
ZeeKay Registered since 20th Mar 2010Tue 20-Jul-10 02:32 AM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Cleaning viewfinder - D90"

New York City Area, US

Hello Nikonians,

Lately I have noticed some dark spots when I look through my viewfinder. These are probably dust particles. I tried to narrow down where they were and it appears that they are somewhere on the prism of the viewfinder.

Here is how I narrowed down by using process of elimination:
- Took out lens and cleaned it, spots where still there like before.
- Put on another lens which is barely used, I still see the spots exactly like before.
- The spots do not appear in the pictures, so the sensor is fine.

When I took out the lens and brushed a little on the prism, the spots moved but they are still there.

Can you please advise whats the best way to clean them. I don't want to mess around with the optical pieces without knowing what I am doing.

I have Nikon lens pen and a Nikon microfiber cloth. What do I need to get it cleaned?

Thanks

ZeeKay
Nikonian in New Jersey

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Cleaning viewfinder - D90
Floridian Silver Member
20th Jul 2010
aolander Silver Member
20th Jul 2010
michaelhager
20th Jul 2010
ZeeKay
20th Jul 2010
ZeeKay
20th Jul 2010

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Tue 20-Jul-10 04:09 AM
2776 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Cleaning viewfinder - D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

You're probably seeing dust on your mirror. You can take the lens off, point the camera down (so gravity will help get the dust out of your camera), and use a blower like a Rocket Blower to blow the dust off your mirror. An alternative is to get an ear syringe at a drug store and use that as a blower. I've done that successfully, but long-term, it's not a bad idea to get a blower made for the purpose, as it's likely the dust will return at some point.

You don't need to touch anything with anything inside your camera. Just get a blower and the air will blow the dust off your mirror.

Randy

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 20-Jul-10 04:31 AM
3388 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Cleaning viewfinder - D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Dust on the mirror doesn't show up that much if at all. It's dust on the focusing screen which is just below the prism. The dust can be on the bottom of the screen where you can blow or brush it off, or it might be on top of the screen in which case the screen would have to be removed for cleaning. Don't try to clean the mirror other than gentle blowing.

Alan

michaelhager Registered since 15th Feb 2007Tue 20-Jul-10 04:51 PM
2284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Cleaning viewfinder - D90"
In response to Reply # 2

Fountain Inn, US

Both my D70s and my D300 get dust on TOP of the focusing screen. below the prism. Every so often you have to remove the screen and blow out the prism area and the top of the screen.

It is a simple procedure and if done carefully should be of no great concern.

I like to spread a white towel on the table top to work on.
Remove the lens.

Turn the camera upside down on the table with the lens opening facing you.

You will find a small wire clip holding the screen in place. Carefully pry it up and away from the screen.

Carefully lift the screen out of he camera.

Carefully remove the shims that were between the screen and body and set them aside in a save place.

Using your rocket blower, blow out the dust from the prism area and off the top of the screen.

Replace the shims.

Replace the screen.

lock the wire clip in place.

You're good to go.

C. Michael Hager
Your most important piece of photo equipment is built into your face.
www.cmhager.com/Content/photo.shtml

ZeeKay Registered since 20th Mar 2010Tue 20-Jul-10 05:39 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Cleaning viewfinder - D90"
In response to Reply # 3

New York City Area, US

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the step-by-step description. I can almost see this being made into a YouTube video tutorial )

The only problem is, I haven't done this ever and I dont want to mess up the optics. I also do not see the white clip in my D90, maybe its of different color?

How do you remove the clip? I can't imagine doing this with bare hands. Maybe a tweezer or a small nose pliers?

Thanks

ZeeKay
Nikonian in New Jersey

ZeeKay Registered since 20th Mar 2010Tue 20-Jul-10 08:32 PM
#5. "RE: Cleaning viewfinder - D90"
In response to Reply # 0

New York City Area, US

I went to a local camera store and they cleaned it up for me for free.

The takeaway is rocket blower and good cleaning cloth.

Thank you all for your replies!

ZeeKay
Nikonian in New Jersey

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #243770 Previous topic | Next topic